Looking for some new headphones for piano primarily
Oct 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Sentient

Head-Fier
First off, the most expensive pair of headphones I've ever had were $30 so I don't know much. I'm looking to get some nice head phones that have a very natural/clean sound because I'll be using them primarily for playing piano. I'll also be using them to listen to classical music. I also want them to be reasonably good at cancelling out background noise (I don't want noise cancelling though).

I'm trying to stay under $200. Based mostly off their good reviews here are my top choices as of now:

1. Audio Technica ATH M50S Monitor Headphones (not the professional ones, unless the extra price is worth it)
2. Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones
3. Fischer Audio FA-003

I'll be looking around for a while and will edit my post if I see other ones.

If anyone who likes listening to classical music could give me some input I would really appreciate it.

Edit: After doing more reading and researching product I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going for closed headphones. And I'm very sure I don't want noise cancelling.

Edit2: I bought these: Fischer Audio FA-002w Beech 8st. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 33
Every time I join a forum I never think to search before posting.. It's like some sort of curse because I'm usually pretty good about doing that. Anyway, I do mean for listening.. I have a digital piano and I don't like people hearing me practice. Up until now I've been using some $30 Sennheisers but feel I could really use some better.

I've been reading some more and I'm a little confused about open/closed. I found this post and I really think open would be great for classical music. But isolation is also a big factor in what I'm looking for. Should I go for semi to try to get best of both worlds?

Quote:
I think that this thread may help you:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570331/classical-music-headphones-m50s-not-so-good

Not sure on headphones for playing piano. Like monitoring/listening to your piano playing?

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 33
For listening to classical, both the Beyerdynamic DT880 looks like a good one. The AKG K501 was even better at a low price but it's now discontinued. The DT880s have a balanced sound, and they are a semi open design, so I think they'd fit your needs. I'm not sure about monitoring headphones, but there's no soundstage or anything, just accuracy, and I think the DT880s would be good for both monitoring your piano playing and classical music listening. Feel free to do your own research on these. The DT880s are a little over $200 though, but it's probably worth the stretch. What will you be plugging them in to?

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 33
There was one guy really satisfied with the Senn HD595s and on his list of songs was a Beethoven symphony. But it looked like there were more disappointed type threads on them just scrolling through and looking at the titles and little clippings under those, so I'd say DT880s. Do some more research on your own though, this is just looking for random cans at a glance and looking at reviews of them for classical. You are spending a bit of money on this, so some more research on this would be a good idea, I'm just trying to do what I can to help get you started.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 33
Open - HD595
Closed - Shure SRH-840

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 33
What source will you be plugging the headphones into?

If you want to try a low cost solution first.

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (semi-open)
Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads.
Cost around $60

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 33
I'll be plugging these into a standard 3.5mm jack.

The Sennheiser HD598 are looking pretty good. Although I'm not sure if I could justify them over the HD595 yet.

The Beyerdynamic DT880 had me really excited until I read somewhere that they have almost no outside noise cancellation. The Sennheiser ones say (on the amazon page) that they block some out. 

Price is flexible but I have to be fully convinced to spend much over $200. (So far the Sennheiser HD598 are pretty convincing.. or maybe I'm too easy to convince.)

@PurpleAngel: your suggestions make sense, and part of me realizes that I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those and higher quality ones given that I'm a noob. I'll look at them more later though seeing as I'm off to play piano for a few hours now.

I feel like I just found a whole new type of p*rn.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD598 are looking pretty good. Although I'm not sure if I could justify them over the HD595 yet.
The Beyerdynamic DT880 had me really excited until I read somewhere that they have almost no outside noise cancellation. The Sennheiser ones say (on the amazon page) that they block some out. 
Price is flexible but I have to be fully convinced to spend much over $200. (So far the Sennheiser HD598 are pretty convincing.. or maybe I'm too easy to convince.)
@PurpleAngel: your suggestions make sense, and part of me realizes that I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those and higher quality ones given that I'm a noob. I'll look at them more later though seeing as I'm off to play piano for a few hours now.

I know it will be a headphone jack.
What is the device that has this 3.5mm jack, mp3 player, stereo receiver, computer sound card, headphone amplifier, etc.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 33
Yes this is what I meant too. This is important because it helps determine what headphones based on how well the device you are plugging it into can power, or drive, the headphones. Also the impedance maybe.

Quote:
I know it will be a headphone jack.
What is the device that has this 3.5mm jack, mp3 player, stereo receiver, computer sound card, headphone amplifier, etc.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 33
He's plugging into a digital piano. Primarily needs the phones for practicing (separately, some listening to classical). See posts #1 & 3

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 33
I have no reason to assume he is plugging in to the piano directly, hence the question.

Quote:
He's plugging into a digital piano. Primarily needs the phones for practicing (separately, some listening to classical). See posts #1 & 3

OpoQQ.jpg

I was the first to reply to the thread, so I think I know what I am talking about.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:

Sennheiser HD-5XX series are open headphones.

Have no idea on how good the headphone jack is on the digital piano, like Ohm rating.
But should not have a problem with anything in the 32 to 60-Ohm range

Denon AH-D1100 (lots of bass)
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) nice sound, half the price of the AH-D1100.
The CALS have small cups, barely fits around my ear
Superlux HD-668B, semi-open, does not take a lot of abuse.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 33
No offense was intended. It was simply a general response intended to be helpful as I thought at least one new poster may not have noticed the original information, found in post 3.

I'm aware you already provided several very helpful replies 
wink_face.gif
 However, I don't understand the impressive cartoon picture - what information does this convey?

My sole interest in this thread is that I also play piano. Used to be a grand piano, now digital. Occasionally I plug in one or other 'phones too, to spare my partner from hearing me repeat the same passages for hours and hours!

Quote:
I have no reason to assume he is plugging in to the piano directly, hence the question. 
OpoQQ.jpg

I was the first to reply to the thread, so I think I know what I am talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back