Looking for new IEM's with a $50-100 Budget
Jul 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dramageek92

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi. Long time lurker here and I have a question for you guys. I have a pair of JBL Reference 220 IEM's that I think I'm just about ready to retire. They've worked fine but havent given the best sound quality in the world. I'd like to replace them with another pair of IEM's and I wanted to ask for your suggestions. I read about the Thinksound Rain's and the Head-Direct RE0's. I was wondering if one of those would be a good choice of if you have a better recommendation for something in my price range. I wouldn't call myself a basshead but I do like to hear a nice amount of bass just to keep the sound balanced.

I would be using these with my 3rd Gen Ipod Touch (32gb), macbook pro, and Kenwood KR-9600 on occasion. I really do not want a pair of IEM's that I need an amp for.

Thanks in advance

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 19
I have the Re0's and I love them for all genres. They have a very accurate, clean, fast, somewhat of a punch to their bass. Obviously if you have researched them I'm sure you've heard about the amazing detail they offer. They do have a pretty high impedance however, so maybe look into the ReZeros? If you don't know what those are, they are basically Re0s with lower impedance and supposedly better bass. http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=89

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 19
Hmm I wonder why amazon doesnt sell those. I'll take a look at them! I also should mention I had a pair of Shure E2c's a long time ago and hated them! They were so uncomfortable... not to mention the sound was crap.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 19
Bump. Anyone else have experience with either? Or with something better?
dt880smile.png

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 19
I have the RE0 and echo its known signature: clean, lean, accurate, smooth/not harsh.

I have a pair of the Rains on the way -- can't tell you how they compare to the RE0 for a couple of days.  They are supposed to be fairly detailed, but a bit more bottom end, bit wider soundstage.  I'll let you know soon.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 19
I would recommend those with foam tips to improve the isolation and the bass. The klipsch s4 are also a good option but I have heard that the re0 are comparable to higher end iems. The klipsch on the other hand have great bass but lack highs and mids.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 19
I have the RE0 and have bought the Shure E2C's.. before returning it back to best buy a week later. IMO, i think that the RE0's and the Shure E2C have similar characteristics. However, the RE0 is more refined in all of it's frequencies while the E2C's approaches a limit.

I recommend the RE0's for everything, even rap and r&b. I'm listening to "Love the Way You Lie" right now, and I like it. If you want that extra bass for whatever reason, go for the Re-Zeros.  

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 19
Do the RE0's have good isolation? I was reading a thread on the RE-ZERO and noticed that it has some funky connector? Will I have to use an adapter with them if I get the RE-ZERO's? That doesn't appeal to me..

I noticed the Rain's were $52 on amazon yesterday and today they went up to $62...

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 19
The RE-Zeros (not the RE-0) do indeed need an adapter because of its balanced jack. But it looks alright, if you look at the head direct website, they have a nicer looking update to the adapter. I say go for the RE-ZEROs if you are not using an amp or if you have a low power source (ex. Ipod).

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 19
Panasonic HJE900 are $125 but are really good for the price. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Still not sure which ones to get.. I would like to hear back from you kmhaynes. I'm just wondering if its worth the few extra bucks for the RE0's over the Rain's.

Ok, the Rain IEMs arrived today, and in short, I think you should get the RE0.  The Rain is a fairly different IEM experience -- they have 2 ports on each phone and when you put them in your ear, you do NOT get the sense of seal when the airspace in your ear canal is completely blocked by the phone.  It feels open, almost like the phone is just sitting inside your canal, but not sealing it.  I have spent nearly an hour swapping tips that came with it, and 4-5 other tips that give me a great seal on the RE0, M9, etc, and none of them give me what I sense is a seal.  Once the music starts playing, I can hear the bass almost as deeply as the RE0, and it is a very airy, open sound (2 ports, remember), so I THINK I'm getting a good seal -- they don't move or fall out and feel secure.  After an hour I am sort of getting used to the feeling, but it is different to be sure.  You will NOT have this experience with the RE0, even though it does not give a 100% seal -- not many do, short of the Ety ER-4P/S.

About SQ and signature, the Rain is pretty mid-centered with the bass reaching pretty low when called on (but not as low or as full as the RE0 -- my RE0 has several hundred hours on it, so it is completely broken in), and the highs are bit more noticeable on the Rain as a compliment to the mids.  They are not quite as smooth as the RE0 highs, which are the equivalent of silk, but there is a slight Grado-type tweak to the Rain mid-highs -- not piercing, but just not as smooth and balanced as the RE0.

Once again, the RE0 remains at the top of every phone I've listened to under $150.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 19
Good choice, Enjoy
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back