Looking for new cans (some help please)
Jun 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #16 of 31
It seems like you've already made your decision, but for what it's worth, I can shed some more light on the M50s. As someone said, they are a bit stiff to begin with but they definitely loosen up. They are vinyl cups but they're plenty big enough to surround the ear and I find them incredibly comfortable. Generally, closed headphones get hot by design, but I have no problem wearing them for 6 hours a day. 

You like the way the 595s fit and with good reason---those are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. These are different, but no in a bad way. They're comfy. I had those Sony's, as well as the very similar MDR-7506. I found those really uncomfortable and actually hated the sound. 

I play bass too. I have a feeling I generally know what sound you're looking for, and these won't disappoint. I'll stress again the importance of good amplification. These will sound good out of an iPod, better out of your iMac, but not anywhere close to as good as a proper (even portable) amp. I use iPods, MacBooks, iMacs, etc. At this point, I can't listen to full-size headphones out of any of them. The difference is substantial.

Jeff

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 31
I listened to the M50s today.  Sounded good under low power (solid bass, perhaps a little stronger than everything else in the mix, but the separation was good and the response was reasonably fast and clear - had that chunky, quantized sound that unbroken-in gear has).  Found the M50s a little heavy weight-wise and tight straight out of the box but I presume this will improve with use.

Tried the the Beyer 990s as well (curiousity I guess) - they did not seem to like the low power very much (cold, congested mid-range, little bottom, fairly pronounced sparkling highs, face-on-speaker-cabinet-like sound stage).  I also put on a pair of DT250s just to get a feel for the velour pads (as a possible mod to the pleather natives on the M50).  I found them a bit tight on the ear (and I don't have dumbos either) but I imagine this also would loosen with time.  That said, if any one knows of another velour pad with a more open design that will also fit the M50, please let me know (I would be tickled pink if someone figured out how to put a HD595 pad on a M50).

I tried  out the AKG 701 while I was at Long & McQuade.  It is super comfy and light but sounded pretty feeble going through the cheesy headphone jack on their demo CD player.  Some day when I have a few more quarters I'll consider it (or the HD650). 

By going with the M50 I saved about $160.00 (on Ebay - at L&M it's closer to a savings of $250.00) and I'm quite pleased with the sound, but I know I won't be satisfied until I get a more comfortable set of open circumaurals and I won't be getting those until I have a quality means of powering them. 

In the mean time I think the M50 is good bet.

Thanks again,

Jeremy    

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 31
I have bought tonnes on Ebay, big ticket and small, and I have never been burned - less than thrilled? (yes).  That said, you have to be informed about the product, ask a lot of questions, take a very close look at the seller's reputation (I try my best to find any and all neutral and negative ratings to understand what happened) and use your commonsense.  You don't buy $22.00 ESW9s from a dude in Shanghai.

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
By going with the M50 I saved about $160.00 (on Ebay - at L&M it's closer to a savings of $250.00) and I'm quite pleased with the sound, but I know I won't be satisfied until I get a more comfortable set of open circumaurals and I won't be getting those until I have a quality means of powering them. 

I don't understand this part... but I'd buy them from HeadRoom or Amazon. Amazon is only around $100, but I love supporting HR. In any case, I second Mad Lust Envy. eBay can be sketchy at times.

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 31
PS - Give the M50s some time and they'll smooth out. 

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #23 of 31
Jeff,

They are the same price on Ebay as they are on Amazon - seller has a very credible transaction record and does a swift business.  The 701s are $260.00 on Ebay.   Through my local store in Calgary, the best I can do is $200.00 (CAD+5% tax) for the M50, $478.00 (CAD+5% tax) for the 701s through Long & McQuade in Canada. 

I have no purchasing history with Amazon or HR - correctly or not I went with what I am familiar with. 

I will consider both options for next time.  Alternatively, if you know of a Canadian HeadPhone specialty shop I would be interested in hearing about it - although, overall, I think Canadians get raked over the coals by U.S. manufacturers - my friend sells Sennheisers up here and his cost price is higher than what I can find on U.S. retail site (even after conversion and duty).

Thanks for all your help in this decision.

Regards,

Jeremy

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #24 of 31
My M50 arrived today.  A little tight out of the box.  Stretched them gently.  A bit warm on the ears but otherwise comfortable. 

Running direct out of iPod touch and M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Even ice-cold new the M50s completely stomp the wretched Sony V700s I was rocking before.  In the short 90 minutes that I have been enjoying them I have noticed a subtle opening and separation of the sonic space; I think these cans will sound pretty darn solid in a few weeks time.  

Next: gotta place an order for an Arrow HE.

Thanks again to everyone who responded and the recommendation for the M50s.

- Jeremy

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #25 of 31
Congrats on your new M50's.
I think they are great all-rounders that DO continue to improve, albeit slightly.
beerchug.gif

Enjoy.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 31
M50s like my DT700/80 hold a friggin' death grip on my head. I think I lost some brain cells after extended listening periods.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #29 of 31
As did I, they fit perfectly. MLE said the clamp was perfect. For christ's sake his head must be smaller than mine, which is theoretically impossible. Those things make my skull numb.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
As did I, they fit perfectly. MLE said the clamp was perfect. For christ's sake his head must be smaller than mine, which is theoretically impossible. Those things make my skull numb.

I am streamlined! 
wink_face.gif

M50's fit perfectly... very comfortable. Also, no issue with any Beyer (DT770 or 880).
The only HP I found to be just a bit tight is the HD600, but even that wasn't too bad... heh...

Oh... AND I wear glasses! Waaah. Coefficient of drag: .02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back