Looking for new cans (some help please)
Jun 10, 2010 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

BriX

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers,

I need some advise on getting some new cans. 

I had a Grado 225i and my friend destroyed them.  I liked their clarity but they were a too icy and treble-heavy for me (I play bass).  

I would like something with solid bass performance without sacrificing articulation, depth, separation or sound-stage.  My set up is not great.  I have a iMac running through a M-Audio FastTrack Pro (has a working range of 32-600 ohms not sure what M-audio means by "working range").  I use an iPod Touch frequently and would like a pair of cans that won't sound completely underpowered by it, and I have a higher end Melior Museatex ACC for home stereo that I hope to augment with a decent headphone amp (someday in the not too near future).  

I like the feel and weight of Senns and the 595 is in my price range.  I have been able to find good deals on AKG-701s (which are a nice weight and sound great but feel massive and hot on my ears), Ultrasone PROline 2500s and Beyerdynamics DT-880s.  I have never tried the 2500s or the DT880s but I have heard good things about them (although there are reports of the 880s being a bit bright - please confirm or deny).  I worry that the 701s and the 880s would be underpowered by the iPod and sound-card setup I have (I could get an little porta-amp I suppose but how useful are they?).  I listen to a very wide variety of music so I need a flexible set of cans.    

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 31
Yup, the K701 and DT880 would be underpowered. What's your budget? I'll throw out the Audio-Technica ESW9s as an option.

What did your friend do with your 225s :O

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 31
My friend took my 225s to a gig.  On the way home he haphazardly through them in the back of his SUV, and shut the driver-side rear door, not noticing that the headphones had fallen out (cable caught, however, in the door).  40 or so blocks of asphalt and that was all she wrote.

250.00 would be the upper bounds on my budget.  Like I said (I've been able to find some pretty excellent deals on the above mentioned units).  I will look at the ESW9s.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 31
ESW9s have a pretty strong bass performance from what I have read - a little muddy by some reports.  I have read about people breaking them while unfolding the ear cups.  Is build quality a factor here? 

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 31
Their bass is muddyish compared to my Alessandro MS-Pro, for sure, but I don't really care, still sounds great IMO. They are much warmer than Grados and have a smooth sound to them, and are designed to run off an iPod, no 1/4" adapters here. 

About build quality, I don't have a problem with mine, I think the quality is good. They seem more on the fragile side of things (compared with headphones like my indestructible DT770 Pro which doubles as a good self-defence item), but with all headphones of this value you'd want to take care of them anyways :)

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 31
Jeremy - 

First of all, I used to "power" my headphones with the FastTrack Ultra (step above the pro), and I thought it sounded decent. Then I listened through a better amp and regretted all of those wasted hours of listening... I was missing so much! Funny you should bring up the 595s. Those were my cans at the time. They are incredible headphones but need a surprising amount of power to sound right. Plus, if you don't like the "icey, treble-heavy" sound of the Grados, you'll be disappointed with the 595s. While sounding great overall, they suffer from shrill highs. 

All of that being said, I think you should take a look at your budget, split it in two, and get headphones and better amplification. I know that's not fun to hear, but it's an expensive lesson I learned a long time ago. Headphones will only sound as good as what's powering them.

My recommendation is to pick up the Audio-Technica AT-M50 and the HeadRoom Total BitHead, $150 and $160 respectively. In my opinion, the M50s CANNOT be beat for the money and the BitHead will give you a nice DAC out of your iMac and clean power. I use the M50s with a comparable portable amp/DAC at work and I couldn't be happier! You could also use the BitHead with your iPod on the go. I routinely find myself using my M50s over my D2000s (twice the price). They have a smooth response curve and really natural and present bass.

Jeff

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
Their bass is muddyish compared to my Alessandro MS-Pro, for sure, but I don't really care, still sounds great IMO. They are much warmer than Grados and have a smooth sound to them, and are designed to run off an iPod, no 1/4" adapters here. 

About build quality, I don't have a problem with mine, I think the quality is good. They seem more on the fragile side of things (compared with headphones like my indestructible DT770 Pro which doubles as a good self-defence item), but with all headphones of this value you'd want to take care of them anyways :)

It's a great recommendation based on what I provided in my post - light weight, easy to power, excellent bass response and looks great with the Padauk finish.  I really should have emphasized that I am looking for circumaural headphones (I just find them more comfortable - I wear headphones all day at work and it's got to be comfortable and breathable).  Do you have anything in mind for an over-ear bass-friendly but clean, not to power piggyish model?

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 31
Jeff,

I looked at the M50s and the reviews are very positive.  Your recommendation to get an amp/dac and a set of less costly cans is a sensible one.  

I am curious about comfort with the M50s.

I like the Senns ear-encapsulating design and the soft cloth pads (very comfortable and breathes nicely).  The M50s appear to be either leather or vinyl pads and I really can't tell how big the ear spaces are.  Are they on the small size?  The Sony V700 my friend gave me (the same friend that killed my Grados) has very small, vinyl ear pads and a forceps-like crushing action on my skull - and they sound like an elephant taking a constitutional on the Red October.       

I need something that I can wear all day and forget I have them on and I wonder if the closed circumaural design with the leather/vinyl pads will work.

Does the M50 fit the bill?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 31
Once you bend the headband out a little bit, the M50s can be worn all day. They have a strong clamp when you first get them. Other than that, I find them very comfortable, including the cups, and I have big ears.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 31
Do they fit over your ears on sit on top of them?  Is it possible to remove the pads and put into something else (like velour)?  I suppose that might defeat the purpose of closed back phones if the seal wasn't good.

Thanks for taking time to respond. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 31
They do fit over your ears, but can get warm. I have big ears and they fit fine. There are a few threads about using different pads on the M50, but most have been negative changes in sound quality.

Quote:
Do they fit over your ears on sit on top of them?  Is it possible to remove the pads and put into something else (like velour)?  I suppose that might defeat the purpose of closed back phones if the seal wasn't good.

Thanks for taking time to respond. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 31
Thank you to everyone who responded.  I think I will be going with the M50s (still need to do a little research but this seems like a good fit overall).

Best,

Jeremy

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 31
I don't think anyone here dislikes the M50. Seriously, after all the headphones I have tried, tested, bought, the M50s is still one of my absolute faves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back