Looking for my first cans
Nov 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EvansCantStop

New Head-Fier
Over the last few months, i have been listening to more and more music, and going on longer car-rides, playing more guitar, ect. I have always wanted a decent pair of headphones to just bump up my music experience. 

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 439s but have been reading very, very mixed reviews on here. I tried out the 428s and thought they were well balanced but seemed to just not have enough push. 

I need something that i can use for my music (which ranges from classical music, to punk-rock, to pop, ect.), that has little leakage (i'm on the rifle team, need to be quiet), can be used for computers, and can be used for me to play guitar (not really on stage, mostly just in the bed room)

I'll be playing them off of an Ipod Touch (or nano), and am planing on buying a Fiio E6 or E11. 

So are the 439s a good choice for what i need? 

If not, im looking in the <$100 range

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi. With the HD439 you will be or very disappointed or very happy. You will like it or simply not. It have a warm sound signature, with great soundstage for a closed can, recessed highs, for me excelent mids and accurate lows. Time of break in: 25 hours aprox. It have a loose clamp force, it can be annoying sometimes, but these cans are very very comfortable, isolation is average. If you think that these lacks in bass, you can mod the Hd439. Is not a bad headphone. Other options in this price :

- AudioTechnica Ath-m50 ( balanced cans, competitive, slighty V sound signature )
- Kicker Hp-541
- M Audio Q40 ( good bass, and all round cans)
- Sony XB700 ( Good Bass)
-Sennheiser HD280 Pro ( Balanced headphones, competitive, good isolation, high clamp force)

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thank you so much.

Is it difficult/dangerous to modify these cans? or would it just be easier to get a Fiio e6/e11 (if so, which one should i get.) 

I really do apretiate the advice

It isn't difficult, however it is unecessary unless you don't like the signature. I've had my 439s for 6 months or so now and they work well for my needs. It should be noted that the isolation isn't that great. Not bad - but there are certainly better options.

Also it's not really a choice of mod the cans OR get a fiio portable amp. If I were you I'd get the fiio regardless. You should do some research on the e6 and e11 because there are some nuances to both of them. I don't own either one but I believe one of the key factors is that you can't use the e11 while it's charging (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). Note sure if the same applies to the e6.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Shure SRH440 with SRH840 earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back