Looking for musical headphone set
Jun 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FOXY

100+ Head-Fier

Hi,

I am looking for a complete set of headphones, Intended primarily to listen the following music styles: vocal, acoustic, jazz and blues.

I heard a number of headphones: DT880 a bit dry sound and very weak bass,

HD600 musical sound but if there was a little more color in mid was great.
AT W5000 more musical than the DT880 but lack bass.

I read lots of reviews and opinions of people, and the candidates for purchase are the HD800, LCD2, and HD650.

The goal is to have musical with a warm sound and big soundstage as possible.

What headphones will fit my sound preferences in 1000$ price range?

And what amplifer and dac will join them in 1000$ price range?
There is a large hype around the Anedio D1,and Burson HA-160D....

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 7
From the headphones and the genres U mentioned. I think u should start with HD650 which is believe to be the most neutral cans here (but it's not in the same class as LCD 2 and HD800). but if you really like warmer sound. LCD 2 is definitely your choice. Never heard of HD800, but I am sure it can handle acoustic incredibly. If you want the biggest soundstage, and bright mid and treble. Go for HD800. LCD 2 has much warmer sound, also the mid is really transparent and crystal clear. it has decent soundstage and one of the best bass out there. 

if you want ur music to sound musical and real? Then you should consider LCD 2 more. HD800 (from wt I heard) gives u every single detail of a song it possibly can give you. that's why ppl saying it's too analytical. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 7
For the music you are listening to I recommend you trial the Audio-Technica W1000X. It is warmer than the W5000 with more bass, although perhaps not as detailed. Being closed, it may not have as big a soundstage as you are after although it has a very good 3D one for a closed headphone. A good review can be found at headfonia: http://www.headfonia.com/w1000x-grandioso/. Definitely worth a listen.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Fun and lifelike?

Audition as much headphones as you can. Each manufacturer has its own 'flavour'...

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

Hi,

I am looking for a complete set of headphones, Intended primarily to listen the following music styles: vocal, acoustic, jazz and blues.

I heard a number of headphones: DT880 a bit dry sound and very weak bass,

HD600 musical sound but if there was a little more color in mid was great.
AT W5000 more musical than the DT880 but lack bass.

I read lots of reviews and opinions of people, and the candidates for purchase are the HD800, LCD2, and HD650.

The goal is to have musical with a warm sound and big soundstage as possible.

What headphones will fit my sound preferences in 1000$ price range?

And what amplifer and dac will join them in 1000$ price range?
There is a large hype around the Anedio D1,and Burson HA-160D....

So it sounds like you're looking for realism, musicality, and soundstage. In that case, here is what I would go with in order: HE500>T1>HD800. These 3 are pretty similar and you can't go wrong with any of them, though I do think they fall in that order. LCD2 is really a special case that has to be heard by the individual, as they sound nothing like any other high end can in my experience.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 7
Grado GS1000 are warm sounding cans with big soundstage and shows great details in music(very musical). The Anedio D1 is very highend DAC and it's AMPs section is very good for under 300 Ohm cans and both GS1000+Anedio D1 are great setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back