Looking for great closed-back headphones in the $300 range.
Nov 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HeadphoneNoooob

New Head-Fier
I'm a high school student looking for a pair of over-ear headphones that will be used when I'm on the way to school, in library, when I'm traveling, and studying. 

Basically my point is ...
-Over-ear, prefer detachable cords and not too long
-Not too ugly looking, and closed back (Example of NOT ugly: Ath-M50, Ath-ProMk2, and etc...)
-Listen to kpop, dubstep, eletronic, pop, hip-hop, and rap. 
-Balanced sound 
-Sound source is my iPhone and My computer (Without an amp)
-Comfortable and portable (if it's foldable then it's portable)
-Should be able to block out noise easily

My friend told me I should get the AKG K550's. Are they easy to drive on a phone and have good sound quality? 
I do love bass, but the bass should NEVER over-power my mid and treble.

I know it's impossible to fill this criteria 100%, but try to help me. 
Thank you so much to anyone who responses. 
p.s. I'm sorry, if this is in the wrong threads ... I'm kind of new ...

Edit: Detachable cable is not a big deal, unless the cable is like 9ft long. Also I did little more research, and found out about Sennheiser HD-25 ii. They say it's built like a tank and sounds good too. Is it any good ? 

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 14
Well the Ath-M50's are pretty balanced they are slightly bass heavy. I had the limited edition ones and liked them for an all around use. But for your genres I think you would like them the bass is there buts its not to over powering. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 14
Wow, this is an easy one.  V-Moda M-100.

BTW, neither the K550 (nor it's successor the K551) has a detachable cable - much to our collective dismay. 
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 14
I think you'd be extremely pleased with the new Sennheiser MOMENTUMs.

* They are circumaural.
* There are two detachable cords (not too long). One of which has full iPhone controls + mic.
* They look very nice.
* They are closed-back.
* They are not reference-grade cans; they are very musical/fun with just a bit of a bass bump.
* They will work just perfectly fine out of your iPhone and computer.
* They are incredibly comfortable.
* They isolate well.
* Personally, I think these cans are perfectly portable, but they do not fold.

In terms of the AKG K550:

I bought a pair of the AKG K550s from Best Buy, before the MOMENTUMs were released. I absolutely could not stand them. They DO look great, but they are nowhere even remotely close to comfortable. They did not fit properly on my head nor any of my friend's heads. Also, the bass is totally non-existent without a proper seal, and without a perfect fit, you're not going to get a proper seal. Finally, I was completely underwhelmed with the sound-quality. I simply cannot recommend the AKG K550s.

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Sadly those are out of my budget ... Do you know anything about the V-Moda m100, Senmheiser HD-25 ii, or Ath-M50 ?

The only other pair of cans that I'm familiar with and like in that price range are the Shure SRH940s ($299). I have a work buddy that owns a pair and loves them. I've also owned a Shure, an IEM, the SE 535s, and was totally blown away.

So if the MOMENTUMs are out, I'd strongly consider the SRH940s. Unlike the MOMENTUMs, these do fold.

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Wow, this is an easy one.  V-Moda M-100.

Gotta +1 this. Comfortwise, if you've got big ears, they might not be the most comfortable headphones however. The plush is pretty comfy otherwise. Isolation isn't the best but it's more than adequate enough for commuting (take this from a commuting college student). Celebrity headphones? I wouldn't say so. Customize them as you see fit to endorse yourself.

But come on, for the genres you're listening to? The M-100's really groove with every single one of those genres,$300, and foldable. it's like you're asking to get them recommended to you, lol.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 14
I would go for an Ultrasone, either the HFI-780, which should meet all of your requirements although it doesnt have a detachable cable. or if you can afford it. the PRO 750 as it has a detachable cable, velour pads(i dont know the difference in SQ as i havnt tried the PRO 750).

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 14
It is exactly what I was looking for, but I'm scared it might be like Beats by Dre. Drown out all the mid and treble, and have over-powering bass. Even though most of the genre I listen to are bass heavy, I want to keep my clear and crisp mid and treble for the music that has vocal as there main. Such as Skyfall - Adele or Viva La Vida - Coldplay. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
It is exactly what I was looking for, but I'm scared it might be like Beats by Dre. Drown out all the mid and treble, and have over-powering bass. Even though most of the genre I listen to are bass heavy, I want to keep my clear and crisp mid and treble for the music that has vocal as there main. Such as Skyfall - Adele or Viva La Vida - Coldplay. 

I can easily tell you that the bass is not basshead quantity bass, nor is it the muddy bass that bleeds into the mids as is the standard for Beats. There is most certainly a bass slant, but it has great treble extension close to (but never reaching) sibilance. The lower mids are, as some users say, a tad veiled, but even with its bass leaning, the mids are not particularly drowned out. Bass is crisp, dynamic, and it really pumps out and purrs with the genres you listed. Vocal songs are still good. They won't be *as* good as a forward mid lean such as the Beyer DT1350's but it does the job more than adequately. Essentially, it does no genre awfully, but the ones it shines well in (which is really every single genre you listed), it really kicks into gear.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 14
I can tell you that the m50s are great deal though the cord may be longer than you would like. They do fold up and are amazing for their price point. I my self use the hd 25s. The cord is alittle long(5 feet) but nothing you will find a problem with in the long run. they however do not fold up which may be a problem for ya. As to isolation and sound quality they are amazing there. They have a fun sound that will go great with your genres of music. one great plus they are built like a tank. They handle anything your daily commute can throw at them. good luck on your pick =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back