Looking for good open cans around $350 for gift
Jul 17, 2010 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

KarlAgathon

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone. buying cans for a birthday present for my brother. $350 or so is my budget. I would be willing to go up to $400 if need be. These cans should be open (if someone presents strong points for a closed can I am willing to listen) These cans will be for private home use only. He wont need isolation. Most likely to be used with his receiver and maybe ipod. He listens to a lot of Electronic, Classical, Jazz. and Rock. Most of the time, he isn't a big EQ user. Prefers a flat or no EQ at all. Any suggustions on a set of cans that can fit that kind of mold would be very much apprecaited, thanks.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
If he is using a powerful source, such as a receiver...go for the hd600's. 

He has a mid range 100 watt A/V receiver. I'm assuming that would be sufficient enough to drive the HD 600 to its potential? He also uses a Marantz component CD player. Not clear if that would drive them sufficiently though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 20
As he is only using a receiver, which probably won't drive a Sennheiser to anywhere near it's full potential, I also suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900. It's awesome from almost any source and is just a very, very nice headphone. I certainly love mine. They do jazz and classical really well. Jazz is excellent with the AD900's slightly forward mids, which will make the vocals and natural instruments sound truly jizzling. Classical really benefits from the AD900's huge soundstage. It does rock very well, too, with it's speed and, again, their forward mids. For electronic music it's less suited, though. The bass is slightly on the light side, which will make some electronic or dance records sound relatively dull.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 20
Thanks to those who have taken the time to respond. Question for all who recommended the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900. Most of the reviews I have read gave it very high marks. One or two of them though mentioned that these cans are only suited for people with "big heads" and would feel semi loose and unsecure on small heads. Any truth to this?

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 20
I have a relatively small head and while the AD900 obviously doesn't clamp, it sits fairly stable on my head. I'd say no worries, but your mileage may of course vary.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 20
^^^Thanks again! Before I make my final decision, do any of you have any opinions on cans from beyerdynamic, AKG, and Grado that might suit the description? I was also looking at the Denon AH-D2000. I know its a closed can, but it looks to be a decent one.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 20
The Denon AH-D2000 are excellent cans for the money and can sound ridiculously good driven by modest upstream gear.  I owned both the HD600 and the D2000 at the same time and ultimately opted for the D2000.  [That takes nothing away from the HD600, which are fairly neutral and balanced in their own right.  My first pair of "hi-end" cans, and very worthy contender.]

The D5000 are even better, and sound very even and balanced with a decent solid state amp.  (I drove mine with an AMC XIA integrated and they sounded great: a smooth, detailed top end, clear detailed mids and an ample, articulate bass.)  If you are willing to go upwards to $400, you can sometimes score a new pair of the D5000 on special sale.

I put in a plug for the DT880/600, and I will again, although they do sound better with a worthy tube amp, like the Darkvoice 336SE.  A very clean, detailed and balanced presentation, and a pretty versatile set of headphones.

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 20
x2 on the AH-D2000...even better it's bigger brothers, the AH-D5000/7000 (only if you have the cash)...if not, it's not like you aren't getting everything with the AH-D2000.

Quote:
The Denon AH-D2000 are excellent cans for the money and can sound ridiculously good driven by modest upstream gear.  I owned both the HD600 and the D2000 at the same time and ultimately opted for the D2000.  [That takes nothing away from the HD600, which are fairly neutral and balanced in their own right.  My first pair of "hi-end" cans, and very worthy contender.]

The D5000 are even better, and sound very even and balanced with a decent solid state amp.  (I drove mine with an AMC XIA integrated and they sounded great: a smooth, detailed top end, clear detailed mids and an ample, articulate bass.)  If you are willing to go upwards to $400, you can sometimes score a new pair of the D5000 on special sale.

I put in a plug for the DT880/600, and I will again, although they do sound better with a worthy tube amp, like the Darkvoice 336SE.  A very clean, detailed and balanced presentation, and a pretty versatile set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back