Looking for good Headphones under $300 Total Price
Aug 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
Ultrasones have had some reputation of being overpriced. They look nice though. 

Yeah I understand your discomfort with on-ear. There is the M100 coming out which is like the M80 but circumaural (around ear) as opposed to supraaural (on ear). Worth considering? 

M50s are kinda uncomfortable to me but they are probably more comfortable than most on-ears. V-shaped sound but that kind of sound is good for listening at low volume levels. At high volume levels, not so great. 

Shure 840s are like the "rivals" of the M50. They're very similar but I don't know the specific details behind them. 

AKG K550 are pretty good closed, circumaural headphones. They sell for around 300 dollars I think. I know someone will recommend one of the Denon series but they do not isolate noise very well - they're semi-open. Even if you don't care if others can listen to what you're listening to, noise isolation is important for sound quality in noisy environment. This is because, if you were to use an open back headphone, other noise interferes with the music you're listening to. It's not pleasant. 

Have you tried any in-ear monitors? The expensive kinds I mean. Some find them more comfortable than on-ear headphones. It depends on the person. Very good noise isolation and comparable sound quality. I recommend you don't spend too much for portable headphones. If you think you'll become an audiophile in the future, it's best to leave some money for open headphones for home use. http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12  Here is a whole list of headphones for portable use, based off of price range. If you're willing to spend the dope, the AKG K550 will most likely be the best closed circumaural headphone within 300 dollars. I actually don't know any that are better except maybe a couple of IEMs. 

Alright, sounds good thanks for the input...

I went over to the local Guitar Center or whatever and they have Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's and I tried them on very comfortable and a good price I believe 189.99 USD and with that price it would leave me some money to get a portable amp would you guys suggest these headphones and they were circumaural and very comfortable and they would mostly be for at home, but for every now and then long car rides and stuff... I will most likely save up and get some IEM's for just on the go day to day use( school and such). Also there were some Shure SRH850's (if I remember correctly) there as well they looked nice didn't try them on although.... I really enjoyed the Beyerdynamic's they were quite comfortable I didn't demo them as much as I should have although... the store is nearby and they weren't flying off the shelves so I figured I can always go back there....

Once again thanks for the help! :D

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:
Alright, sounds good thanks for the input...

I went over to the local Guitar Center or whatever and they have Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's and I tried them on very comfortable and a good price I believe 189.99 USD and with that price it would leave me some money to get a portable amp would you guys suggest these headphones and they were circumaural and very comfortable and they would mostly be for at home, but for every now and then long car rides and stuff... I will most likely save up and get some IEM's for just on the go day to day use( school and such). Also there were some Shure SRH850's (if I remember correctly) there as well they looked nice didn't try them on although.... I really enjoyed the Beyerdynamic's they were quite comfortable I didn't demo them as much as I should have although... the store is nearby and they weren't flying off the shelves so I figured I can always go back there....

Once again thanks for the help! :D

Yeah the DT770 is a good closed cans. Good luck! 

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #18 of 20
Demo demo demo!  You should try every set of cans they have there (oh god, only the ones in your price range though...).  Just like test driving a car, listen to a few songs that you like the most, try a few different genres, and so on.  You wouldn't back a car up, pull forward, and then decide to buy it, would you?

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 20
Your right and I decided on the DT770 Pro 80Ohm and I absolutely love them I can't wait till I get my own amp to properly drive them. I tried them with and without an amp multiple times and so much better with an amp so I ordered my own and am waiting for them to arrive in the mail.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #20 of 20
i recommend K550 too,

Just bought a pair for 250 dollars,

looks good, seal pretty good, and decent sound quality for how much i paid.

you can't compare it to 600-1000 dollars headphones, but with in the 300 dollars range, i think it is one of the better one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back