Looking for good Headphones under $300 Total Price
Aug 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Strida16

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new to Head-Fi and I am just dealing with the usual crappy Apple headphones at the moment and I got some extra

spending money. So I figured its about time I buy myself some decent headphones any suggestions? I have looked around and I

really like the Sennheiser HD558's their price is good and would leave me some money to buy a portable amp. Any other suggestions

and for a style of music it would be a very broad range. I like to listen to all genres, so I am not looking for strictly basshead

type cans or just pure reproduction super pure quality headphones just some good overall comfortable, balanced headphones.

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 20
Welcome to Head-fi, sorry for your wallet!

Would you prefer open or closed headphones?

Do you need isolation?

Any specific descriptions of your music?

Is this for portable use or home use?

You may want to check out this...

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 20
I like both Open and Closed but I will be using these in public places and I don't really need to broadcast to everyone what I may be listening to so closed would be the best option.

An regarding Isolation it would be nice but, not needed.

Also! Comfort is an issue I will be using these for extended periods of time so I don't want any super uncomfortable ones I don't mind if they get hot but nothing super uncomfortable.

These will be my all around home and portable headphones haha >.< and I don't mind carrying them around just as long as I don't need like 5 pounds worth of stuff just so the headphones will sound good haha

Oh and type of music a lot of the popular type music and some old rock so like Adele, Katy Perry(haha), Linkin Park, Dubstep, some country, and every now and then some Rap and Classical music so like Eminem and Beethoven. Really just need some overall good quality headphones. I am not an audiophile yet just an aspiring one haha

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 20
Ok so the HD558 are an open set of cans, so maybe not the best in public. Maybe the Ultrasone HFI 780, V-Moda M-80, Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii, Beyerdynamic DT 1350, or ATH M50 for closed. Those should do pretty well without an amp, but once you venture into higher fidelity cans (generally more expensive), you will need an amp. Even some lower cost headphones require an amp to sound as best as they can, it really depends on the can. I would suggest picking something up like the Fiio e11 or a cmoy amp with any extra money. Hope this helps :) 

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks, what about the PA2V2 amp I saw it was highly recommended for portable amps and if I do get a portable amp what cans would you recommend to get the best bang for your buck. (under $300 of course cans only not the amp)

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 20
If you get low Ohm headphones, you may not need an amplifier.
or at least get a cheaper amplifier.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 20
On ears:

+1 for V-MODA M80

+1 HD25s

but I would seriously recommend Sennheiser Amperior ( 1st choice ) 

Over ears:

For Open cans: Hifimans ...

Semi open: DT880

Closed: Ultrasones

Cheerz :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 20
Are DT1350's Closed and on ear or over ear? Also which Ultrasones would be the best overall? for under $300 without an amp

EDIT: Also I have seen quite a bit of people say the Audio Technica M50S is quite good is this true, or are they overrated or are they as good as people say? And I have read some of the Forum post about them being "taken" off as king of the Headphones or whatever haha

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 20
The DT1350s are closed on ear (supra-aural). The M50s are a topic of great debate, mostly because of the different sound preferences of everybody. Some people like the sound sig, some people don't. The only way to know for sure if you like the sound signature is to try them yourself, but they are highly recommended cans for the beginning listener. The PA2V2 amp would be a good amp, but be sure to check out the Fiio E11. Both are very reputable amps and the E11 is relatively cheap, I'm not sure of the price of the PA2V2. Another highly recommended amp is the Cmoy, or a Cmoy BB if you want a bass boost.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
Are DT1350's Closed and on ear or over ear? Also which Ultrasones would be the best overall? for under $300 without an amp

EDIT: Also I have seen quite a bit of people say the Audio Technica M50S is quite good is this true, or are they overrated or are they as good as people say? And I have read some of the Forum post about them being "taken" off as king of the Headphones or whatever haha

Strida, you should also consider the Phillips Uptown....apparently are quite good. I have not had the chance to test them...but they have made their place prominent in the fight with the M50s.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 20
Speaking from my personal experience (and there are definitely a lot of guys around here with tons of knowledge), the M50's are a great step up from whatever you were using.  They will definitely work well if you want to use them outside and not worry about other people hearing what you are listening to.  I listen to a wide range of music with them and they sound good to me, though after spending more and more time with them, I am finding myself wishing they did certain things better.  That is not to say that they are bad at all, I enjoy them very much!

Like the above said though, the M50 is becoming a sensitive topic, with a lot of people saying they are not worth the price for what you get, and a lot of people swearing up and down by them.  I can only say this though, I was upgrading from better than ibuds and I think they are great, so I don't think you will be disappointed.  My advice is listen to what the more experienced people have to say, and try to find a store to sample what they recommend.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 20
Alright, thanks for the help everyone and also couple more questions haha...

What about Ultrasones I have been looking around they seem quite nice as well, but I saw on some reviews that they said their build was "so-so" if I am using these all the time should I be worried about how comfortable they will be and if they may or may not break?

Also, I am really looking for closed over-ear, I have tried on-ear and I have found for me, after trying out my friends on-ear headphones, either they weren't tight enough or the pressure was too much and brought discomfort to my ears and head after taking them off my ears felt stiff and kinda hurt.

Once again thanks for your help everyone!!
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
Speaking from my personal experience (and there are definitely a lot of guys around here with tons of knowledge), the M50's are a great step up from whatever you were using.  They will definitely work well if you want to use them outside and not worry about other people hearing what you are listening to.  I listen to a wide range of music with them and they sound good to me, though after spending more and more time with them, I am finding myself wishing they did certain things better.  That is not to say that they are bad at all, I enjoy them very much!

Like the above said though, the M50 is becoming a sensitive topic, with a lot of people saying they are not worth the price for what you get, and a lot of people swearing up and down by them.  I can only say this though, I was upgrading from better than ibuds and I think they are great, so I don't think you will be disappointed.  My advice is listen to what the more experienced people have to say, and try to find a store to sample what they recommend.

You're spot on

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
Alright, thanks for the help everyone and also couple more questions haha...

What about Ultrasones I have been looking around they seem quite nice as well, but I saw on some reviews that they said their build was "so-so" if I am using these all the time should I be worried about how comfortable they will be and if they may or may not break?

Also, I am really looking for closed over-ear, I have tried on-ear and I have found for me, after trying out my friends on-ear headphones, either they weren't tight enough or the pressure was too much and brought discomfort to my ears and head after taking them off my ears felt stiff and kinda hurt.

Once again thanks for your help everyone!!
biggrin.gif

Ultrasones have had some reputation of being overpriced. They look nice though. 

Yeah I understand your discomfort with on-ear. There is the M100 coming out which is like the M80 but circumaural (around ear) as opposed to supraaural (on ear). Worth considering? 

M50s are kinda uncomfortable to me but they are probably more comfortable than most on-ears. V-shaped sound but that kind of sound is good for listening at low volume levels. At high volume levels, not so great. 

Shure 840s are like the "rivals" of the M50. They're very similar but I don't know the specific details behind them. 

AKG K550 are pretty good closed, circumaural headphones. They sell for around 300 dollars I think. I know someone will recommend one of the Denon series but they do not isolate noise very well - they're semi-open. Even if you don't care if others can listen to what you're listening to, noise isolation is important for sound quality in noisy environment. This is because, if you were to use an open back headphone, other noise interferes with the music you're listening to. It's not pleasant. 

Have you tried any in-ear monitors? The expensive kinds I mean. Some find them more comfortable than on-ear headphones. It depends on the person. Very good noise isolation and comparable sound quality. I recommend you don't spend too much for portable headphones. If you think you'll become an audiophile in the future, it's best to leave some money for open headphones for home use. http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12  Here is a whole list of headphones for portable use, based off of price range. If you're willing to spend the dope, the AKG K550 will most likely be the best closed circumaural headphone within 300 dollars. I actually don't know any that are better except maybe a couple of IEMs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back