Looking for good headphones for $100
Oct 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pclov3r

100+ Head-Fier
My main usage is gaming and music. Music types is Mainly trance and heavy bass music. Hardcore Techno, Drum and bass as well as Hardstyle. What would you suggest for me? I was looking at the HD555 but hear they lack bass. As well as the HD280 but looking they have a durablity issue. What would you suggest for me for around $100? I will buy a clip on mic as well. My sound card is a X-Fi Extreme Gamer that has a 109 SNR Thanks

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 22
The $100 AKG k240 Studio would be perfect. They're semi-open and have a lot of detail and a good soundstage. This would make them good for both movies and games. They also have a lot of bass, but it doesn't take away from anything else. The highs are less rolled off then the HD-555 and M50 to me. Mids are perfect and very slightly forward, but vocals and accuracy of instruments isn't as good as the HD-600 of course. For me, it has the 2nd best vocal quality out of everything i've tried under $200.

The main reason I can suggest these over everything else is that they're very light and comfortable. There is no clamping force and you almost don't feel them on your head.

There is also the Shure SRH-750DJ. These may be better for your music then the k240, but not better for movies and games due to being closed and having not as good of a soundstage.

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 22
Another thing I should have said is that my computer is loud as hell. I mostly plan to use them at home and not in public. Would like to dampen that noise out. 

You think my sound card is good enough for some good headphones?

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
Well after looking around I'm set on a HD448 and a Zalman detachable mic. 

I own the HD448 and I am very happy with it but I am almost sure you aren't going to share that opinion if you buy them.
The HD448 is a relative bass light headphone and since you are looking for bass you certainly want to look somewhere else.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 22
Well I don't want to much bass. I want a equal balance. I like the AKG k240 however I'm going to need an amp for them which I don't want to buy.

I herd both that that headset has to little bass and to much bass. How would you say it is?

Also how are the mids and highs?

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 22
Should also include that i want a new one because my old set broke which I'm going to attempt to fix.

Examples of music I like.

The music I like I think is important for both good Highs and lows

Here is some examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3Oj00p83Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YquKTWdymV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbARZzdsNaI&feature=channel

Also like to use it for gaming as well as block out noise.

Hopefully that can help you find a good set for me for around $100

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 22
I have relatively similar needs and the headphones that I just ordered for $94 including shipping off of ebay were the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. they're closed-back so they are noise isolating, they have a good amount of bass and are generally well-balanced (from what I've read).

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
Well I don't want to much bass. I want a equal balance. I like the AKG k240 however I'm going to need an amp for them which I don't want to buy.

I herd both that that headset has to little bass and to much bass. How would you say it is?

Also how are the mids and highs?

The HD448 also could use an amp but it isn't necessary though, the bass improves quiet a lot. The thing with bass is: you adapt to the amount of bass a headphone produces. People who think there is too much bass are used to listen to headphones with less bass etc.. In my opinion it's a notch below the neutral amount of bass. The mids and highs are pretty good, very good for it's price I guess. For instance, the Sennheiser HD598  sounds very similar but has just some extra bass to it. Moreover the mids aren't artificial like with the AKG 701, snares sound pretty realistic but could use some extra bass to make them really have some impact. The highs are very smooth but a bit electronic, in general very pleasant to listen to. I still think you want to look for a bit more bass, still you can't go really wrong with this headphone. The audio-techna M50 is highly recommended around here so take it for a consideration. It's really up to your own preference.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 22
How is the build quality of the ATH-M50?

The fordable scares me that it's going to break. This seems to be a similar design to my last one that broke within 6 months however my last one was poor build quality.

I like the ATH-M50's but not the design. Why I'm learning towards the HD448 due to the fact that it's solid and not foldable.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 22
Do you have the same one? If so how is the build quality.

Issue is I really don't want to buy an amp unless I have to and the foldable design one again scares me lol.

This cheap plantronics headset is killing my bleeping ears

After looking around I"m kinda set on the ATH-M50 so many good reviews and good bass as it looks like.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
I'd recommend Shure SRH440: it has a truly punchy bass, and detailed mids and highs, only needed to power proper.

I would get the HD448 over the SRH440 since, as you are saying, the SRH440 is more vivid sounding instead of neutral like the HD448.

The thing is in general: a brand makes similar sounding headphones. This means a Sennheiser headphone has a different sound signature as an Audio-Techna headphone. Personally I like Sennheiser but you got to listen yourself to get to know your preference. It really depends on what kind of cans you are used to listen to. If I where you I would get the M50, you will use it mostly for home use right? In that case the durability doesn't really matter. Personally I would get the HD448 of course since I did. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 22
"I" don't own the M50. But I have been reading about it and suggesting it to Head-Fiers for nearly 2 years - after reading about it on other sites. Its build quality and folding functionality "generally" is not found to be an issue. That is not to suggest that a few have not had mechanical problems with their M50. It seems to be of the more reliable headphones mentioned on Head-Fi, especially in this price range. If you're wanting bass, limited to buying in the $100 range, and won't be buying an amp, FWIR, the M50 is a very popular choice, and it seems like it should work well for you. 

However, if spending more on headphones and not using additional amplification, FWIR, I would suggest alternatively considering the SRH750DJ. Of course whether anyone would like one or the other better mostly would be a matter of preference. You search and read about each or listen to them with your equipment and decide for yourself.

Quote:
Do you have the same one? If so how is the build quality.

Issue is I really don't want to buy an amp unless I have to and the foldable design one again scares me lol.

This cheap plantronics headset is killing my bleeping ears

After looking around I"m kinda set on the ATH-M50 so many good reviews and good bass as it looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back