Looking for good entry level headphones
Nov 20, 2010 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

maskedmoron23

New Head-Fier
This is my first post, so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I've always wanted to get a nice pair of headphones, but only recently decided to look into it. I've done some research, but none of it has really helped me narrow down my search. I plan on listening to music primarily through my ipod and macbook pro at this point. I would like headphones that sound good without an amp and my budget is around $100, but I can go over if it's worth it. I listen to pretty much all kinds of music from dubstep to hardcore to reggae and would like headphones with good bass.

The headphones I'm looking at right now are the Sony MDR7506 and the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. Are either of these good options?

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 15
Does anyone else feel like this exact same thread comes up 15+ times per week?  I feel like I see so much "$xxx for best sound/heaviest bass" all the time.

You'll eventually get a ton of recommendations, try starting at this thread.  If you'll be walking around with them or taking them with you different places, you'll especially appreciate the reviewer's list:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-57-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-m50-added-11-12

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Does anyone else feel like this exact same thread comes up 15+ times per week?  I feel like I see so much "$xxx for best sound/heaviest bass" all the time.

You'll eventually get a ton of recommendations, try starting at this thread.  If you'll be walking around with them or taking them with you different places, you'll especially appreciate the reviewer's list:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-57-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-m50-added-11-12

Yeah or it could be like "Whats the best gaming headphones????", "Whats the best $100 headphones???", "Whats the best bang for my buck headphones??????"

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 15
mikop, do you think that the m50s will sound good unamped through my ipod/computer? I've been researching pretty heavily last night and today and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy them, I just wanted to hear your opinion on them unamped.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 15
You have to be careful not to fall into a trap on this site that everything sounds like garbage straight out of a computer.  The M50 sound amazing unamped.

Since you're on right now, you may want to check these while they're still around.  They're quite a bit smaller, but they're great quality, especially for the price.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524071/deal-alert-akg-k430-29-95-free-shipping-musician-s-friend

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Come on, folks. Don't pick on new members. Instead, help them out with a personal recommendation. This is how we make the community bigger and better. :)

I'd recommend the Sony pair. I had a pair for awhile and really enjoyed them.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 15
I felt that the M50s sound pretty good for its price. What really sealed it was the lovely highs :D You may find them a little (too) harsh though, so it would be good to try it before you decide.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Op,

The M50 will do fine without an amp. The differences between amping are marginal imo, tho I haven't really listen to the differences critically recently.
I would suggest that you do not go low. While I have never listened to the akg that is on sale on the portable forum, my experiences with similar priced portable suggest that it can not match the M50 is all aspect (except portability).
The Shure phones are a bit more out of your range and from forum opinions, offers no advantage over m50 (or marginal, pending on personal preference).   AD700 has no bass...  it is open,  and does not match your music preference.

There are a lot of choices and no phone is universal for everyone.  The M50 however is a safe bet and a great starting point... a pretty universally recommended phone here for budgets of $100ish and I haven't read too many ppl that come away too disappointed.   I brought my phones to work recently. One colleague, while she likes the D5000 the best (but out of her budget), decided that she is going to buy the M50 because it sounded great to her.  I think she made a great choice and I am sure you would like the M50 also.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Op,

The M50 will do fine without an amp. The differences between amping are marginal imo, tho I haven't really listen to the differences critically recently.
I would suggest that you do not go low. While I have never listened to the akg that is on sale on the portable forum, my experiences with similar priced portable suggest that it can not match the M50 is all aspect (except portability).
The Shure phones are a bit more out of your range and from forum opinions, offers no advantage over m50 (or marginal, pending on personal preference).   AD700 has no bass...  it is open,  and does not match your music preference.

There are a lot of choices and no phone is universal for everyone.  The M50 however is a safe bet and a great starting point... a pretty universally recommended phone here for budgets of $100ish and I haven't read too many ppl that come away too disappointed.   I brought my phones to work recently. One colleague, while she likes the D5000 the best (but out of her budget), decided that she is going to buy the M50 because it sounded great to her.  I think she made a great choice and I am sure you would like the M50 also.

Not completely true. In terms of sound, the SRH750 is generally praised above the M50s. Granted the SRH840s are a different sound, but they are also praised highly. Smart buying/shopping will bring the shures down to around the M50s. I bought the SRH840s for 120 new and the SRH750s for around 90 new. 

Granted, you won't be dissapointed with the M50s, but I would look around for possible better options. Maybe you won't find any you like due to different reasons, but I still advice you look around and compare prices. The AD700 was just thrown out there in case you like gaming or great soundstage for movies and what not, its probalby not for your music choices. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
This is my first post, so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I've always wanted to get a nice pair of headphones, but only recently decided to look into it. I've done some research, but none of it has really helped me narrow down my search. I plan on listening to music primarily through my ipod and macbook pro at this point. I would like headphones that sound good without an amp and my budget is around $100, but I can go over if it's worth it. I listen to pretty much all kinds of music from dubstep to hardcore to reggae and would like headphones with good bass.

The headphones I'm looking at right now are the Sony MDR7506 and the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. Are either of these good options?

The Sony MDR-V6 headphones are the exact same model as the MDR-7506, except the 7506 has a gold plug.  You can get the V6's for ~$70, $89 with a pair of Pearstone velour pads from B&H Photo - highly recommended.

My personal opinion - I love the Sennheiser HD580/600/650 family, but the HD280's are clunky monsters that don't really sound as good as they should - certainly not as good as the Sony's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back