Looking for good cans < $250 that deliver bass earthquakes to my brain
Jul 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
hey!
i will vote for Shure SRH 840. because from where i can see, your utmost requirement is BAss quality and these headphones guarantee that. 

They wont deliver a bass earthquake exactly....they are well balanced, and the bass is not heavy. 
I'd go for the m50's in that aspect. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrthomas  
" I know I'm gonna get flamed for suggesting gaming headphones, but the Steel Series Siberia v2 have a huge amount of bass. It does mess a little bit with mids and highs, but the bass is really punchy. It may lack a little clarity but from a firsthand account they are actually alright 'phones. I wouldn't suggest them is you can find better though."

So it intrudes into the mids and highs? They lack clarity? By your own account? Yet you reccomend them? Next please...

OP, go with either the M50, 840 or even the D2000 if your budget stretches that far. I personally find the AT M50 is a great fit for what you want. It's cheaper to buy than the D2000 with less bass bloat than the stock D2000. The M50 is a bass monster while still keeping it relatively under control.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by baka1969
"...yet you recommend them"

No, I specifically said "I wouldn't suggest them" if there is a better option that fulfills his requirements. The title of this thread implies that Bass is a priority. In all interests of humility, I don't consider my judgement on par with any of the Head-Fi veterans. I merely mentioned them because I remember them as some of the bass-iest headphones that I've have heard in a while. You are right, they are probably crap. I'm just trying to share my experience.

Sooo, I guess I called it "I know I'm gonna get flamed..."

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrthomas  
Quote: Originally posted by baka1969. " "...yet you recommend them"
No, I specifically said "I wouldn't suggest them" if there is a better option that fulfills his requirements. The title of this thread implies that Bass is a priority. In all interests of humility, I don't consider my judgement on par with any of the Head-Fi veterans. I merely mentioned them because I remember them as some of the bass-iest headphones that I've have heard in a while. You are right, they are probably crap. I'm just trying to share my experience.
Sooo, I guess I called it "I know I'm gonna get flamed... " "

I'm not trying to discourage you. It's that in your own statements they weren't the best sounding. You want to get flamed just mention Bose. :)

Seriously, as a new player in the game try lots of headphones out. When you find a great pair, it will open a new world of appreciation for the music you love. It's also addicting. Knowing there might be something better sounding around the next turn is fun to discover. Myself and many Head-fi'ers are hooked. Just look at our sigs and profiles and you'll see. LoL. I just got the Marantz CD5003 and have been marveled all afternoon at what I'm finding out from my music. Again.

:)

Peace,

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #20 of 23
The OP was looking for "earthquakes to his brain" so then only a few choices will probably satisfy:

1) Denon D2000 with decent amp
2) BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro/80 with decent amp
3) Sony XB700 (no amp necessary and don't be fooled by its low price, it sounds like a product closer to $150)

Possibly also ATH-M50 but M50 doesn't have THAT much bass, it's rather gently boosted midbass nothing more, significantly less in quantity than above 3. Would need some serious EQ abuse (maybe +10~12dB for M50 to cause any earthquakes IMO :p) Shure SRH 840 has too little bass quantity for what OP is looking for.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #21 of 23
Ultrasone HFI 580 (not 780) will give the most impactful low end. It will shake your head. The only thing that I have heard that could rival it was the Sony XB 700, but I did not like the lack of crisp sound of the Sony's. The Ultrasone HFI 580 has more bass than the Beyers, Denon, Audio Techic, and even Monster Beats Studio, while offering more clarity than the likes of Sony XB and Monster.

I must add that it has the highest potential for brain shaking brain other than XB 700. It will not have all that bass from the start, but from using my Cowon's machbass setting, it had the most quantity, tightest, bass out of all the headphones i tried without the headphone starting to distort.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #22 of 23
If you're looking for low, rumbling bass then I'd recommend the XB700s.  The bass goes all the way down to DC with out any roll off, which most full size headphones at several times the price don't manage.  The rest of the spectrum is good as well, plus they're cheap and don't really need an amp to sound good.  They sound like they cost several times more than they do.

If you want something that sounds a little more 'punchy' then you may prefer one of the ultrasones, which generally have a mid-bass emphasis, over the Sonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back