Looking for decent pair of headphones.
Aug 26, 2010 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ChaosBlooderfly

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, to be used with my laptop and my mp3 player.
I'm not looking for superb audio, I just need ones that don't sound like trash.

My budget is $25-75.  I want to keep it sub$50, but I can go higher if there's a noticeable perforce/price improvement.

I prefer closed ones, since I live in a college dorm.
And sound isolation is a must.
Comfort is a big thing for me too (Circumaural, not supraural).
I listen to almost everything, but adequate bass is very important (doesn't have to be over powering, just not weak or muddy)
I would also consider IEMs/canalphones (are they the same?)

Also, reading reviews just confuses me. Someone always says the sound quality for a particular headphone is utter utter trash, while everybody else says it's fine. For every phone. >.<

I've looked at Senn's HD201, 202 and subsequent models
HTX-7
Shure SRH 240
Sony XD200

IEM-wise, I'm considering Shure 115's, Klipsh S4s for the high end. At the low end, there's too much crud to go through. Anybody know any solid sub-50 IEMs?

Previous sound system's I've listened to are: Behringer HPX2000s (it sounded barely acceptable after a period of burn in), a $5 sony canalphone (honestly sounded better than the Behringers), and my dad's $2k set of B&W speakers whose model # I do not know (never heard anything better, but my experience with sound systems is limited)

PS, the onboard audio on my desktop (which I don't have access to atm though) is quite bad. How much does a decent soundcard cost? 

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet...

Now you do know there is an abundance of information on this (forum) website right? Of course the first times you try to get a grip of the information here you will surely be confused and it will happen later on.

According to some the Sennheiser HD20x-series are fine, particularly the HD201. I have a Panasonic RP-HTX7 which is likeable and quite fun for its bass oriented sound. The Panasonic does not sound too unbalanced though but some amplification helps to clear its sound up, my experience and even a cMoy does the trick.

You mention the Shure SRH240, check out the 440 for it can be found quite cheap and if anything might be your thing. I cannot comment on its sound sadly for I never listened to one. I would read up about the SRH440. 

P.S. My first headphone was the Sony MDR V6 which was quite good, although there is the thing with its brightness. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Now you do know there is an abundance of information on this (forum) website right? Of course the first times you try to get a grip of the information here you will surely be confused and it will happen later on.

I do know there's a lot of info. There's too much, I'm having trouble processing all of it.

I wish I could try them out, but the only headphones I ever on demo are expensive bose garbage.

Apparently HD20x's are supraural. Well so much for that.

440s look nice. Although the $90 price tag is pushing my budge. Suppose I could save up.

I guess I could also accept a moderate level of isolation (I don't want to hear everything outside as though I wasn't wearing anything).
Also, I should mention that I wear eyeglasses, and a lot of headphones seem to make that uncomfortable.

So 440s, htx7s, or xd200s?
Any other suggestions?

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 5
Apparently, xd200s have no isolation,
htx7s are horrible head vises, (I think HD20x's also have this problem?)
And it looks like shure's are my best bet.
240 for $48 or 440 for $96

I'm thinking 240.
Also, at that price range, it opens up my choices to HD428. >.< So confused here.

I have a feeling any of these models will satisfy my needs (for now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back