Looking for complimentary headphones to DT990
Feb 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rman3008

Head-Fier
Hey there,

I've had the DT990 Pro 250 ohm for a couple of months now, and I just recently got the udac-2 dac/amp, and I think that it sounds great. I love the great bass and the bright highs, it really makes the music come alive.

After getting the udac-2, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and I'm a little unsure as to what to do. I really like the sound of the dt-990, but I'm also interested in getting something to compliment it. 

For now, I've been looking a lot at the DT880 and the HD600/HD580. I think that I would like the lush mid-range of the Senns as a compliment to the DT 990s, but I hear a lot of great things about the DT 880s as a great all-around analytical phone, but since I've only had the DT990, it's hard to tell what any of them would sound like (I should note that I don't know of anywhere nearby where I could sample these headphones).

I know that there are a lot of threads on this specifically, but I was wondering, strictly out of a udac-2, listening primarily to rock (killers), pop (nelly furtado, rachael yamagata) and a lot of movie scores (last samurai, inception, dark knight), which would compliment the dt-990 better?

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on whether it would be worth upgrading from dt990-250 to dt990-600/ any other good upgrades from the dt990 sound, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 7
If you're looking for something different, go for a Senn. It's literally on the polar opposite to the Beyer signature sound, and would give you lots of fun trying to compare and discovering your own listening preferences/habits.

If you're looking for more of the same, go for an upgrade from 250Ohm to 600Ohm. I did that when I upgraded from DT880/250 to DT880/600. The 600Ohm version of DT880 was everything I was looking for in a dynamic can. 'though the T1 definitely got my interest since it was announced last year... 

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Well, I upgraded from my DT990 600ohm to Alessandro MS-Pro's and I must say I am enjoying the latter a great deal more. The Pro is better in nearly every way. The DT990 had recessed mids while the Pro has beautiful fleshed out, smooth mids. The Pro manages to pack more detail into the treble while being far less harsh than the DT990. The bass is less on the Pro, but still very ample in amount and packs great punch, while being faster, more textured and detailed than the DT990. The ony area the DT990 wins is soundstage,as it is bigger, but I personally prefer the intimate, energetic presentation of the Ms-Pro.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 7

Don't compare upgrading to dt880 /600 with dt990 /600.
dt880 gets to a whole new level at 600 ohm, while dt990 becomes a ruined headphone with a lot of annoying sibilance. It is worth upgrading to the non pro 250 ohm dt990, but not to the 600 ohm one.
Quote:
If you're looking for something different, go for a Senn. It's literally on the polar opposite to the Beyer signature sound, and would give you lots of fun trying to compare and discovering your own listening preferences/habits.

If you're looking for more of the same, go for an upgrade from 250Ohm to 600Ohm. I did that when I upgraded from DT880/250 to DT880/600. The 600Ohm version of DT880 was everything I was looking for in a dynamic can. 'though the T1 definitely got my interest since it was announced last year... 

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 7
I recently bought my DT880s specifically to compliment my DT990s - and sold my long time owned k701s to fund that purchase. I love both and really think I have found what I was seeking - a fun and engaging DT990 along with a more detailed but lively DT880 (lively compared to the k701s). I too was looking for a pair of complimentary headphones. I opted for the 600ohm version of both - so do not use my uDac2 to drive them. I use an LDMKIV and my tube rolling gives me different flavors.

I don't have a good basis to compare to Senns - but I really think the 880s are the perfect compliment to my 990s. I spend a lot of time with the 880s now - but really enjoy the contrast of the 990s, specifically for rock (Alternative and Roots) and even acoustic music - the highs don't sound too harsh to me and the lows are really powerful and rich. The OTL tube amp may have a bit to do with that.

I think with the UDac2 you won't want the 600ohm version of either. I use it with my k271s and really enjoy it - it has a slight warmness to my ears - really clean mids and uppers so it would likely pair well with the 880s I think. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 7
There is little to no sonic difference between DT-990 and 880 across all resistances.  I wish this Myth would fade away.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
There is little to no sonic difference between DT-990 and 880 across all resistances.  I wish this Myth would fade away.

Explain....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back