Looking for cans with good bass
Sep 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mr. Morden

Head-Fier
Currently I have been using some RE Audio RE0 IEMs as my daily headphones. They sound great and have great accuracy, but I love hardstyle music which is a very heavily kick/bass oriented kind of music. The RE0's handle bass in most kinds of music well, but synthetic bass they lack (Plus they keep popping out of my ears!). So I want some full sized headphones that have good bass. This is the key feature since when I am going to be using these I'll be listening almost exclusively to hardstyle. I would like them to be decent as far as mids and highs go but I'm not expecting a great sound stage or anything, this music just must have bass to sound good! I'd like to keep it under $100 since I'll be carrying this with me (Don't want to carry some real expensive cans around and risk them getting busted up). I'm a bit clueless on what to look for (Since I normally am anti-bass when it comes to headphones, I normally prefer accuracy and clarity but in this case bass is paramont). Skullcandy is like the only brand I know of to think of bass headphones, but I know they're not the only ones (And I kinda find their looks goofy depending on which ones we're talking about).

To give a sample of the kind of bass we're talking about - here's the kind of thing I'm talking about playing to get an idea of what the level of bass is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfW7hz_RTn0&hd=1

I want the bass to be clear and not muddy (as that would ruin this kind of music), and like I said as long as the mids or highs aren't shrill or muffled sounding I'll be satisfied. Isolation wise I'd like it if more of the sound stayed in my ear and didn't bleed out but I can live with some bleed out. Any suggestions come to mind?

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Bump, I would like to know soon as I have a deadline by which I plan to buy these headphones. I mean, I don't know if DJ headphones are what would work for me or what - I don't want overemphasized bass, simply bass that is much greater than my wimpy RE0's. My computer speakers have a 188 watt 10" subwoofer, while I don't expect the exact same out of headphones (especially not in the price range I'm looking at) I certainly want to find something that gets closer to doing it than my current IEMs can (And I don't like IEMs, so OTE's are what I want to use).

I've come up with a few models, but again I'm completely uncertain if these could even work for me at all. So far I've looked at the Sony MDR-XB700 (Heard from some that these are too boomy), Denon AHD-550s, and Sennheiser HD-497. Mostly DJ headphones, but again what I'm looking for is good bass without totally sacrificing and overpowering the mids and highs (which lots of headphones emphasizing bass seem to do). Studio headphones seem like they're probably not right for me in this application, unless I had the money to buy something real high end which was accurate and could play all types of music well (Which I don't). Again your input is what I need, I have no idea what to even look for and I don't want to just rely on reviews on Amazon or elsewhere of people who bought the headphones and are like "Dude these things are AWESOME" - I prefer a well-versed opinion from experience and I know here is the place to find it.

It should also be noted I do plan to use this on the go - so perhaps this thread would be better placed in fact in the Portable Headphones area? Not sure, but I do plan to use whatever I buy with my iPhone - unamped. I'm sure going up in price probably introduces better candidates and requires amplification so I'm looking to stick around this $100 area (give or take). Surely someone knows something to be of help to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back