Looking for balance with slight bass.
Aug 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

No, sorry. I usually listen to them when I went to lay back and just listen with pure clarity in mind. However the KNS 8400 isn't all that thin either. For rock and hip hop, the mid-bass kicks nicely and vocals come out nice so I don't find the need for tube amps. Maybe for electronica, I would go tube but for your preferences, they actually are fairly nice out of a solid state.

Tks bro...appreciate ur comments. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #32 of 48
Np :) There are definitely times when I wanted the KRK to kick more and for that I have the E10, simple switch for the bass boost and it kicks nicely. Although a tube amp would also help thicken the mids, but even then E10 is a very good comprise between full on tube thickness and pure transparency.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #33 of 48
One note about the E10, all that I've said about the E10 was on low gain. On high gain, the E10 hits harder and more dynamic. The mids also come with more meat although I find it slightly fatiguing and a bit brighter then low gain setting. Although for a good hour on high gain with bass boost, its very groovy. So with tube amps, the KRK should definitely work.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:
One note about the E10, all that I've said about the E10 was on low gain. On high gain, the E10 hits harder and more dynamic. The mids also come with more meat although I find it slightly fatiguing and a bit brighter then low gain setting. Although for a good hour on high gain with bass boost, its very groovy. So with tube amps, the KRK should definitely work.

Awesome :) I too thought the tubes should complement the KRK...but haven't tried it on. Base on your analysis...seems a good fit too...
Tks.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:
So I listen to rock, pop, jazz, r&b and kpop, they won't sound cold right? And for female vocalists nothing will sound shrill or harsh right?

They aren't cold or warm. They are just neutral as they were designed to be. Although if you are used to listening consistently on warm headphones/speakers then maybe you'll find them colder respectively, but overall by itself I don't find it cold. Female or male vocals never sound harsh unless the vocals recorded were harsh. There is no sibilance with the ssss or the ssshhh. The mids are a bit dry in comparison to my warmer and juicier mids of HE-500 which make it sing. The KRK won't make it sing as well as the HE-500 however they are very clear throughout all the octaves of male/female voices. Even the slightest change in pitch can be heard with the KRK.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #37 of 48
I would take the DJ100 over the KRKs any day. Yes, I do love the KRKs, but the DJ100s are just so much more fun to listen to. They seem to get everything right.
I would suggest getting them for $50 and spending another $20 on M50 pads.

The only portable player I'd suggest them for use on is the Sansa Clip+. I listen to them for hours straight out of that without complaint. I don't want to get into arguments about amping them, but I don't like them much with most portable players.

Even the Fiio E5 is enough for them. That thing is only $20. Don't get the E6 unless you get them from the Micca store. I got two stupid fakes in a row! Go me..

So for under $90 you've got an amazing setup.

I think the Ipod Touch or Zune HD can drive the DJ100 just fine. The problem with some is lack of volume. I get enough volume from my Iaudio 7 and Fuze, but it sounds like poop. The DJ100 should never be fatiguing when well amped.

I'd say the DJ100 is balanced, but slightly leaning to having a "fun" sound signature. A tad more than neutral bass and slightly forward upper mids. To me it sounds more balanced than a lot of these crazy "reference" headphones like the HD-600 and SRH-840. Even more than the KNS-8400 I think. The DJ100 also won't stab you in the ears with treble like the KRK does with bad recordings. The KRKs are quite analytical.

BTW it makes my day that the KRKs are being suggested so much lately. They deserve it
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #38 of 48
Yes I agree with the KRK being merciless with bad recordings. This tends to happen more with rock recordings. You end up thinking What were they smoking when they were mastering this. Over 90% of my music is in flac and overall 98% is recorded and mastered well, so in that case all those details actually add positively to the experience. However for those occasional 2%, it can be painful at times, especially if they over do it in the treble.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #40 of 48
The Brainwavz HM5 is warmer and has better bass than the KRK 8400 to me. I think the decay of the bass is more natural on the HM5. The more balanced treble on the HM5 is a plus too. The HM5 never fatigues me like the 8400 did on a few tracks.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #43 of 48
I would take the DJ100 over the KRKs any day. Yes, I do love the KRKs, but the DJ100s are just so much more fun to listen to. They seem to get everything right.
I would suggest getting them for $50 and spending another $20 on M50 pads.

The only portable player I'd suggest them for use on is the Sansa Clip+. I listen to them for hours straight out of that without complaint. I don't want to get into arguments about amping them, but I don't like them much with most portable players.

Even the Fiio E5 is enough for them. That thing is only $20. Don't get the E6 unless you get them from the Micca store. I got two stupid fakes in a row! Go me..

So for under $90 you've got an amazing setup.

I think the Ipod Touch or Zune HD can drive the DJ100 just fine. The problem with some is lack of volume. I get enough volume from my Iaudio 7 and Fuze, but it sounds like poop. The DJ100 should never be fatiguing when well amped.

I'd say the DJ100 is balanced, but slightly leaning to having a "fun" sound signature. A tad more than neutral bass and slightly forward upper mids. To me it sounds more balanced than a lot of these crazy "reference" headphones like the HD-600 and SRH-840. Even more than the KNS-8400 I think. The DJ100 also won't stab you in the ears with treble like the KRK does with bad recordings. The KRKs are quite analytical.

BTW it makes my day that the KRKs are being suggested so much lately. They deserve it :D

If I weren't able to get an amp and my source is only an iPod nano, what would you suggest?

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:
If I weren't able to get an amp and my source is only an iPod nano, what would you suggest?

Do you have a Best Buy in your area? They might sound fine from the Nano. At Best Buy in the Pro audio department you can demo a ton of headphones with your own source. They have the DJ200 (DJ100 clone), HD-280 and many others. The KRKs sound best with an amp too, but maybe not required. Even on the Clip+ you have to crank them fairly high.

I'm a fan of the Beyer DT-235 for $60. It's supra-aural though. Sony MDR-7506 isn't bad. I don't know if i'd call it balanced, but maybe close. Has a lot of treble and a mid-bass hump. Very easy to drive.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:
Do you have a Best Buy in your area? They might sound fine from the Nano. At Best Buy in the Pro audio department you can demo a ton of headphones with your own source. They have the DJ200 (DJ100 clone), HD-280 and many others. The KRKs sound best with an amp too, but maybe not required. Even on the Clip+ you have to crank them fairly high.

I'm a fan of the Beyer DT-235 for $60. It's supra-aural though. Sony MDR-7506 isn't bad. I don't know if i'd call it balanced, but maybe close. Has a lot of treble and a mid-bass hump. Very easy to drive.

Mind giving a comparison of the DJ100s and the DT235s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back