Looking for balance with slight bass.
Aug 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

kineticwave

New Head-Fier
Hey there Head-Fi,

Like the title says, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that have a balanced sound, sounds clear but not analytical with a good tight and controlled bass. Something that has good instrument separation and imaging, doesn't have to be amazing. I'm debating between the following:

- Koss TBSE1 (Tony Bennett Edition)
- Shure SH840
- Ultrasone HFI 580

Which one suits the best for my preference? Should be comfortable, adequate isolation for semi-noisy environments and decently portable (less than 2lbs. is something I can deal with).

Thank you very much!

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 48
Quote:
Let me add the dt770 pro 80ohms to that list. I'd like to hear how it compares with the others you listed.
wink.gif

DT770 Pro are far from balanced, very V-shape sound signature.

You never mentioned a budget limit but these had been great probably for you http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PSBM4U2passive.pdf

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 48
+1 Shure 840

But others that you should consider:

FA-003 or Brainwavz HM5 or cheaper clones...many many options :)

T50p

DT880 - Semi open...isolation suffers maybe...

I don't think HFI-580 will be useful here. But I maybe wrong.

Cheerz! :)

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 48
Thanks for all the feedback, my budget is actually 200 in Canadian dollars preferably, max is 250. What do you guys think about the Koss one, is it good for me? Are there anyways to improve where they lack, SRH840 included.

I just looked up the FA-003 and HM5, what's the comparison here? And with the others mentioned?

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback, my budget is actually 200 in Canadian dollars preferably, max is 250. What do you guys think about the Koss one, is it good for me? Are there anyways to improve where they lack, SRH840 included.
I just looked up the FA-003 and HM5, what's the comparison here? And with the others mentioned?

Here you go:

FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585281/review-brainwavz-hm5-a-new-neutral-champ

http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/f47/brainwavz-hm5-pro-studio-monitor-headphone-review-video-17064/

Shure 840

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552507/my-official-shure-srh840-impressions-after-2-months-includes-pictures

http://themacfeed.com/2009/11/24/review-shure-srh840/

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 48

I think I'll be going with the SRH840, should I get a Fiio E5 with it? And since I plan on replacing the super long coiled cable, should I go for a better cable, does it make a difference?

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:
I think I'll be going with the SRH840, should I get a Fiio E5 with it? And since I plan on replacing the super long coiled cable, should I go for a better cable, does it make a difference?

I don't think the E5 will be of much use. If you are looking for a cheap amp, you'll have to start from a cMoy or an E11 to start hearing much difference.

IMO cables don't make a huge difference, especially not on super revealing cans. The important thing is just to find one that is convenient for you.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 48
+1 for E11

Do let us know your impressions when you get em :)

Congrats and have fun ! :)

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 48
KRK KNS 8400 - deep tight bass and controlled. Works well out of MP3 player and my macbook pro laptop directly

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:
I read that they are quite analytical. And I use an Asus N61 so the sound card is not that great.

Not really, they are meant as monitoring headphones. Although I have fun headphones like Denon AH-D2000 and HE-500, but I still love the sound of KNS 8400. However out of all my headphones, they took me the longest to get used to. After listening to all my other higher end headphones when I come back to 8400 I can still appreciate the way they present music. You might not like them instantly, but give it some time as some others suggested to me when I was worrying about getting them myself. Good thing I bought them and kept it, even though I didn't like them too much at first. The headband and ear cups break in and hard and somewhat uncomfortable for a week but after that, they get really comfy - one of the most comfiest I have today - the memory foam pads are one of the nicest pads I've worn. As for sound card, the phone manages to sound pretty good out of my laptop and Sansa Fuze MP3 player. So if you can't get a amp/dac right now, don't sweat it. If you can afford to spend around $80 for a great amp and dec combo, then I recommend the Fiio E10. It works well with D2000, KNS 8400, and my HE-500. Don't over think the analytical aspect. They have really good imaging and a pretty good sense of separation inside their limited soundstage. Everything is really clear on KNS 8400 as it's fast and precise, but it's never boring.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 48
Not really, they are meant as monitoring headphones. Although I have fun headphones like Denon AH-D2000 and HE-500, but I still love the sound of KNS 8400. However out of all my headphones, they took me the longest to get used to. After listening to all my other higher end headphones when I come back to 8400 I can still appreciate the way they present music. You might not like them instantly, but give it some time as some others suggested to me when I was worrying about getting them myself. Good thing I bought them and kept it, even though I didn't like them too much at first. The headband and ear cups break in and hard and somewhat uncomfortable for a week but after that, they get really comfy - one of the most comfiest I have today - the memory foam pads are one of the nicest pads I've worn. As for sound card, the phone manages to sound pretty good out of my laptop and Sansa Fuze MP3 player. So if you can't get a amp/dac right now, don't sweat it. If you can afford to spend around $80 for a great amp and dec combo, then I recommend the Fiio E10. It works well with D2000, KNS 8400, and my HE-500. Don't over think the analytical aspect. They have really good imaging and a pretty good sense of separation inside their limited soundstage. Everything is really clear on KNS 8400 as it's fast and precise, but it's never boring.

Someone recommended the E11 and another an O2, which would best? And have you heard the SRH840 before? Can you draw a comparison?

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 48
The O2 is more powerful and a better amplifier, but it's not truly portable. It fall under your 2lbs requirement, but I would personally never take it out and about. The E11 is more portable, and offers a bass boost, which is fun. However, it is clearly the inferior amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back