Looking for an upgrade from HD555's
Apr 14, 2011 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stylus

New Head-Fier
Hi, i've had HD555's for about a year now. I did the foam mod a few months ago. My source is an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro soundcard.
I'm now looking to upgrade.

I have a budget of up to $400 USD. I listen to mostly soundtracks, ambient, nu-jazz, drum & bass and alternative rock.
Soundstage is really important to me. As long as my next cans have better soundstaging than the HD555's I don't care if they're open or closed.
I'm kind of spoilt by the treble of my old UE700 IEMs, and now my DBA-02's. So I would like better treble extension with that kind of sparkle that makes acoustic guitars and cymbals just POP out at you. Bass extension is not as important, as long as there is some noticeable improvement over the 555's i'm happy.

I realize I might be asking for a lot here but I thought i'd give it a shot anyway.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 5
If you want some treble sparkle, just go for the HD600's.

I don't think the HD598's are different enough from the 595's, which which if you did the foam mod on your 555's, yours sound very similar to now anyway.

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 5
Okay, I'll consider the HD600's. What would be a better idea, that or the DT990 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back