Looking for an upgrade from bose on-ear
Jan 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

costas12

New Head-Fier
I really like the sound of my bose headphones but I am looking for an upgrade. My budget is around £250. I don't have an amplifier and I am not looking to get one any time soon. I am a basshead so good bass is important. I listen to most types of music but alternative rock is my main preference. Any suggestions?

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 16
I agree from what I've read the M50 or HFI 750 are good but I am wondering if they are really an upgrade from the bose or more of a sidegrade. My budget can stretch to twice their price so DT990/880, HD650 are all in my price range but from what I hear they definately need an amp, so is there anything thats an upgrade to the bose but doesnt need one?

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 16
try the srh750dj headphones the mids are less recessed in them compared to the ath m50s. and they dont require an amp though an amp would definitly improve the sound quality. i love mine and i think you will love them to.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I am a basshead so good bass is important. I listen to most types of music but alternative rock is my main preference. Any suggestions?

The M50's suits you if you're asking for bass, and nice midrange. . 

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 16
The DT990 certainly have a quantity of bass. Personally I feel they are a bit too bassy for some heavier rock, but they can certainly work pretty darned well. If you're looking to feel your bass maybe don't go for the DT880. The HD650 are good for rock. They have decreased treble which will disguise drum cymbals and such, but they still rock well and focus on guitars and vocals. They don't have thumpy nor prominent bass in yo face, but they are bassy in a dark and heavy sort of sense. 

Really, it'd be hard for you to go wrong, but there's some comparisons for you to think through.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
The HD650 are good for rock. They have decreased treble which will disguise drum cymbals and such, but they still rock well and focus on guitars and vocals. They don't have thumpy nor prominent bass in yo face, but they are bassy in a dark and heavy sort of sense. 

That would be way over the OP budget, a nice amp is a must for the 650's. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't know how much sennheisers go for out in the UK but he might be able to get the HD650 and someone else's DIY amp in or around his budget. Regardless it was just commentary on headphones he was mentioning.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Quote:
try the srh750dj headphones the mids are less recessed in them compared to the ath m50s. and they dont require an amp though an amp would definitly improve the sound quality. i love mine and i think you will love them to.

yea...but you're really missing out if you don't use an amp with the 750DJ

how so. how much does it improve.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 16
I am still trying to decide between the DT990, M50, AH-D2000, HFI-580 and the srh-750dj. It seems impossible to decide without listening to them but I dont think thats an option in the Uk. Keeping in mind that whatever I get will be unamped at least for the time being, what do you think will give me the best sound? I am not really bothered about value either...

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 16
Is the reason you're not planning on amping them for budget purposes, or is it something else? If you went used I think you would be able to get the DT990 with a suitable amp within your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back