Looking for AMP/DAC for a future pair of DT880s
May 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MurderDeathKill

New Head-Fier
So I read, lurked, browsed, compared, and researched, until I decided that the DT880 (600ohm) will likely be my next upgrade.  Of course, unlike my previous headphones (ATH-AD700s, which I loved), they will need some decent amping to work.  What would make a good desktop dac/amp for $250?  The 880s will be pulling equal gaming, music, and movie duties, so I will need a DAC/AMP with both USB (Sound card is currently a junk onboard and doesn't have an optical out and a uDAC2-hp) as well as optical (TOSLINK) inputs.  So far, the NFB-12 seems to be a fruntrunner in my search, but with so many amps and DACs out there, I just can't decide.  Maybe a soundcard+amp combo would work better for the price?  Maybe just an amp to pair with the uDAC2?

May 17, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 6
I sent you a PM. The USB on the Maverick Audio D1 is pretty basic and resamples anything other than 16-bit 48kHz. That's why I bought a Teralink X2, it is just a USB to Coax/Optical/BNC/IIS unit that makes upgrades more flexible. Personally, I would avoid using the D1's USB at all costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back