Looking for accurate headphone without boosted bass.
Jul 10, 2011 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ddan6815

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair headphones designed for pure accuracy, nothing that colors the music, nothing that adds bass. something thats not too bright, just detailed, not really concerned about how much bass. i will only be using at home, hooked to my marantz cd player or my preamp, may even consider adding a headphone amp later, also something that i can wear comfortably for a couple hours at a time 

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 12
Take a look at the various studio/pro headphones. I'm a fan of the Sony MDR-7509HD. Great for travel and very comfortable, too.

Same with the AKG K-240DF. They're discontinued, but turn up frequently. They don't have much of a cult following, so prices are fair. I've had a pair for a few years and enjoy them.

You might also be interested in the Beyerdynamic DT48. They're slightly heavy, but have amazing transparency and neutrality. These do have a cult following - you'll find several threads on them. Those of us who love the DT-48 give them high marks for what you're looking for.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Take a look at the various studio/pro headphones. I'm a fan of the Sony MDR-7509HD. Great for travel and very comfortable, too.

Same with the AKG K-240DF. They're discontinued, but turn up frequently. They don't have much of a cult following, so prices are fair. I've had a pair for a few years and enjoy them.

You might also be interested in the Beyerdynamic DT48. They're slightly heavy, but have amazing transparency and neutrality. These do have a cult following - you'll find several threads on them. Those of us who love the DT-48 give them high marks for what you're looking for.

+1 for MDR-7509HD

they also don't need an amp, so they don't get colored by an amp or DAC

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 12
 MDR-7509HD frequency response is pretty bad.

Better look at AKG K 271 MK II, Sennheiser HD 580 Precision, Sennheiser HD 600/650 or Sony MDR-7506.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 12
For accuracy, the Shure SRH line of headphones are hard to beat, particularly the 440 and 940. How much did you want to spend? All of them, to me, sound great unamped and should you decide to amp them later, they will grow with you.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 12
The Fischer Audio FA-002(open), FA-003(closed) are neutral, detailed and easy to drive. Few others headphones are also recommended HD598, HD558, AD900, SR225i, DT880(600 Ohm), SR850 and SA3000.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 12
I don't think this is still in the menu on the HeadRoom graphs page, but here's another graph for you.  AKG K601 can be found for around $170, though the price seems to have shifted back to MSRP in most places.  Buy.com has a few left at around $170 through one of the affiliate marketplace vendors.  They're definitely wearable for hours.

That's a little more bass and less treble spike compared to K701.  They have a little more harmonic distortion in the mids than some others though.  Actually, see this thread for that and more FR graphs for comparison:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/409732/some-more-frequency-response-graphs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back