looking for a speaker setup
Oct 13, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #31 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi my country have no dayton subwoofer. could you recommend something else ?

Sorry, I forgot  about that. BTW you could set your profile to display your general location - look at the upper right of my post.

In any case, I'm not sure what's available over there, or more specifically, where to start checking. In international forums availability through internet dealers or direct from the manufacturers is the primary basis since everyone can see the prices (although of course not shipping and taxes). You could check out A/V stores in your area and see what they have, look for 8in or 10in subs whose enclosures will fit in probable locations that you will put them on.Take note though that big brand but cheap products tend to not perform as well as internet-based companies' competing products within the same price bracket, and subs smaller than 8in tend to be specialty products and not entry level. A few likely more common subwoofers that you might find over there:

Wharfedale D8
Wharfedale SPC-8
Audioengine S8
Infinity Primus PS38
Polk Audio PSW111

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 161

Sorry, I forgot  about that. BTW you could set your profile to display your general location - look at the upper right of my post.

In any case, I'm not sure what's available over there, or more specifically, where to start checking. In international forums availability through internet dealers or direct from the manufacturers is the primary basis since everyone can see the prices (although of course not shipping and taxes). You could check out A/V stores in your area and see what they have, look for 8in or 10in subs whose enclosures will fit in probable locations that you will put them on.Take note though that big brand but cheap products tend to not perform as well as internet-based companies' competing products within the same price bracket, and subs smaller than 8in tend to be specialty products and not entry level. A few likely more common subwoofers that you might find over there:

Wharfedale D8
Wharfedale SPC-8
Audioengine S8
Infinity Primus PS38
Polk Audio PSW111

checked all you listed. only got wharfedale but only a few options 
thats where i was going to purchase. and im from malaysia
Wharfedale Wh-S10 Subwoofer
http://www.lazada.com.my/wharfedale/?searchredirect=Wharfedale 

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #33 of 161
  checked all you listed. only got wharfedale but only a few options 
thats where i was going to purchase. and im from malaysia
Wharfedale Wh-S10 Subwoofer
http://www.lazada.com.my/wharfedale/?searchredirect=Wharfedale 

Yeah I read all the previous posts to check, I concentrated on Wharfedale because they sell cheap in SEAsia vs Europe and N.America for some reason (ever notice how nearly everybody here starts out with Diamond series speakers for HT or even HiFi, but elsewhere they aren't seen to deliver great value?). 

That one though is a 10in model, so in case you're using it in a desktop system, make sure to check whether it will fit anywhere near and preferably somewhere between the two stereo speakers.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #34 of 161
  Are they good with classical music...?
Have you auditioned the Adam F5 as well...?
I am given to understand that HE500 have ever so slightly laid back sound signature and LSR305 tend to be on brighter side...would like to know your opinion on this...

When I was playing a couple of jazz songs thru my LSR305's that are connected to my gustard X12 thru XLR connection. I didn't find it to be bright. I found the drums to sound accurate on my end and the bass violin in the song to have very good Weight behind it. the LSR305 are really good with filling the room with sound without using a lot of volume. I can't say how i feel about it in compared to my hifiman HE-500 but I know I enjoy both. Honestly if there was no one around, I would prolly use my JBL 305's all the time with the HE-500 being used just for gaming or the occasional blu ray movie.

I have played some dub-step with the LSR305 and I kept thinking that I might had it too loud because of the bass the LSR 305 was pumping out, it blend in with the rest of the sound I was just shocked. But like I mentioned I find jazz to sound really good on these JBL 305's. The only thing i tried that was closed to classical music was the dubs-tep remix of Bach where the bass notes was replaced with dub-step done to the beat of the original bass notes while the rest of the song was the same,That did pretty well to me on the JBL 305's. I guess I evidently get around to doing straight out classical.

Now I have done a lot of gaming with my JBL 305's and they handle every game I thrown at it easily so I doubt they wouldn't be a problem for some one to use with games as well. The only thing I haven't done was try out some movies on them.

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #35 of 161

Yeah I read all the previous posts to check, I concentrated on Wharfedale because they sell cheap in SEAsia vs Europe and N.America for some reason (ever notice how nearly everybody here starts out with Diamond series speakers for HT or even HiFi, but elsewhere they aren't seen to deliver great value?). 

That one though is a 10in model, so in case you're using it in a desktop system, make sure to check whether it will fit anywhere near and preferably somewhere between the two stereo speakers.

When I was playing a couple of jazz songs thru my LSR305's that are connected to my gustard X12 thru XLR connection. I didn't find it to be bright. I found the drums to sound accurate on my end and the bass violin in the song to have very good Weight behind it. the LSR305 are really good with filling the room with sound without using a lot of volume. I can't say how i feel about it in compared to my hifiman HE-500 but I know I enjoy both. Honestly if there was no one around, I would prolly use my JBL 305's all the time with the HE-500 being used just for gaming or the occasional blu ray movie.

I have played some dub-step with the LSR305 and I kept thinking that I might had it too loud because of the bass the LSR 305 was pumping out, it blend in with the rest of the sound I was just shocked. But like I mentioned I find jazz to sound really good on these JBL 305's. The only thing i tried that was closed to classical music was the dubs-tep remix of Bach where the bass notes was replaced with dub-step done to the beat of the original bass notes while the rest of the song was the same,That did pretty well to me on the JBL 305's. I guess I evidently get around to doing straight out classical.

Now I have done a lot of gaming with my JBL 305's and they handle every game I thrown at it easily so I doubt they wouldn't be a problem for some one to use with games as well. The only thing I haven't done was try out some movies on them.

no JBL LSR305 in my country im trying to find a good replacement

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #37 of 161

Just to cover all the bases...did you call the distributor? Maybe the local dealer in your area just doesn't stock them.

Found this on JBL's website

called, doesnt have LSR305 :frowning2:
my country is terrible :S i can buy it at http://vbizz.com/brand/jbl/
but without testing it, i would really like to try the speakers before purchasing it, i tried hivi swan

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #38 of 161
  called, doesnt have LSR305 :frowning2:
my country is terrible :S i can buy it at http://vbizz.com/brand/jbl/
but without testing it, i would really like to try the speakers before purchasing it, i tried hivi swan

That's a bummer, pro audio stores here have it or they can order it from the distributor, as well as KRKs; there's one chain of computer parts stores that also sells Swans here.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 161

That's a bummer, pro audio stores here have it or they can order it from the distributor, as well as KRKs; there's one chain of computer parts stores that also sells Swans here.

i could buy JBL LSR305 without trying or i could get Swan Hivi MKIII with a Sub H6 
http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=25
http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=262
which do you think is better ?

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #40 of 161
Quote:
i could buy JBL LSR305 without trying or i could get Swan Hivi MKIII with a Sub H6 
http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=25
http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=262
which do you think is better ?

If you can try the MkIII and you like it (with and without the sub) then get it, at least it's something you're sure you like rather than ordering the JBLs without trying them. Plus the Swans have a single volume control on the Master speaker so while you might have to stand up to reach it once in position in your listening area, at least it's still just one knob to turn if you don't have a preamp (or a preamp output from a headphone amp or DAC).

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #41 of 161

If you can try the MkIII and you like it (with and without the sub) then get it, at least it's something you're sure you like rather than ordering the JBLs without trying them. Plus the Swans have a single volume control on the Master speaker so while you might have to stand up to reach it once in position in your listening area, at least it's still just one knob to turn if you don't have a preamp (or a preamp output from a headphone amp or DAC).

You heard the mkIII ? i think is lacking bass. 
and may i ask if u heard about the x4 http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=263&cmenu=spec
i know is smaller than the JBL but do you think that jbl is going to be better than x4? just from the specifics and sizes ?
do you think is a wise idea listening to jbl lsr 305 through Youtube content ? thats my only option i can think off i guess

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #42 of 161
Quote:
You heard the mkIII ? i think is lacking bass. 

Only briefly, and in a loud location. I went home with the D1080MII-08 because it was cheaper and the location they'll be on will actually make the angled drivers problematic (platform base over my keyboard area is as high as my jaw already), and sitting at my desk I just turn the treble down one notch. Bass balance is a little strong at louder levels (even without turning down the treble). When for example I take a shower in the bath across the hall from my room, both doors closed, volume at 12:00 and the bass up one notch, I can hear everything and even the bass notes through the door. Note that depends on the music also - when I do that I play tracks like this. If you're expecting to shatter windows playing music like krunk, then even that 6in subwoofer isn't going to be enough - in a car that usually takes a 600watt++ amplifier driving a high-excursion subwoofer in a ported box in a crappy car (better made cars will need more SPL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and may i ask if u heard about the x4 http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=263&cmenu=spec
i know is smaller than the JBL but do you think that jbl is going to be better than x4? just from the specifics and sizes ?

One problem: the X4 has a smaller midwoofer than the JBL. Unless it has a much higher excursion and a better amplifier to control that, it's sure that its low frequency response isn't as deep as the JBL's; even then, that would mean the longer excursion will result in a lot of distortion or roll-off at the midrange, which means its tweeter will then need to compensate and take over at a lower frequency than usual. Personally unless you really, really, really don't have enough space, try to avoid small midwoofers, even if it looks a hell of a lot like a Genelec monitor.

Quote:

do you think is a wise idea listening to jbl lsr 305 through Youtube content ? thats my only option i can think off i guess

You mean listening to YouTube content with/through the LSR305? I don't see why not, unless that's the only thing you'll listen to, in which case even the Swans are overkill.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 161

Only briefly, and in a loud location. I went home with the D1080MII-08 because it was cheaper and the location they'll be on will actually make the angled drivers problematic (platform base over my keyboard area is as high as my jaw already), and sitting at my desk I just turn the treble down one notch. Bass balance is a little strong at louder levels (even without turning down the treble). When for example I take a shower in the bath across the hall from my room, both doors closed, volume at 12:00 and the bass up one notch, I can hear everything and even the bass notes through the door. Note that depends on the music also - when I do that I play tracks like this. If you're expecting to shatter windows playing music like krunk, then even that 6in subwoofer isn't going to be enough - in a car that usually takes a 600watt++ amplifier driving a high-excursion subwoofer in a ported box in a crappy car (better made cars will need more SPL).

Wow your music is nice lol i love it.

One problem: the X4 has a smaller midwoofer than the JBL. Unless it has a much higher excursion and a better amplifier to control that, it's sure that its low frequency response isn't as deep as the JBL's; even then, that would mean the longer excursion will result in a lot of distortion or roll-off at the midrange, which means its tweeter will then need to compensate and take over at a lower frequency than usual. Personally unless you really, really, really don't have enough space, try to avoid small midwoofers, even if it looks a hell of a lot like a Genelec monitor.

so to be honest the x4 is going to lose in every aspect against JBL LSR305 in terms of sound quality ? mid , treble, bass ?

You mean listening to YouTube content with/through the LSR305? I don't see why not, unless that's the only thing you'll listen to, in which case even the Swans are overkill.

Makes a difference listening content in 720p and 1080p ? the audio quality sounds better ? how do you listen to your music . in anyway it produce high source ?
the only i knew was listening 1080p from youtube lol.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #44 of 161
Quote:

so to be honest the x4 is going to lose in every aspect against JBL LSR305 in terms of sound quality ? mid , treble, bass ?

No I only said there's a guarantee that it won't reach as low down the bass range as a larger speaker; if it can, it will require more compromises, because higher excursion to get more and louder low bass means the midwoofer will roll off earlier or have a lot more distortion in the midrange, which then means that to compensate they're going to have to use a tweeter that can take over at the midrange to compensate. That kind of design typically makes the crossover design more problematic. Not that the whole thing can't be done properly, it's just that it won't be cheap when you add up the cost of the drivers with such specs plus development of the crossover and the cabinets.

You'll notice that as it is the X4 is more expensive than the LSR305 and those are basically the reasons why, and yet, they are rated to have a frequency range of "60hz to 20khz." By cmparison the LSR305 are rated to have their -3dB point at 45hz. 15hz seems like a narrow range but that can mean a lot for what bass notes will sound like; not enough low bass for example can mean that bass drums can sound like a snare drum stuffed with pillows.

The thing is though while I would actually use the X4 if I really needed something small for my work desk, as I can appreciate the smaller form factor and ignore the bass deficiency if 1) it's very balanced elsewhere, making sure that nothing gets in they way of hearing what little bass is there; and 2) if the price was a little lower. For someone like you who is already looking into getting the H6 from the get go I'm not too positive that you can appreciate paying more for a lot less bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Makes a difference listening content in 720p and 1080p ? the audio quality sounds better ? how do you listen to your music . in anyway it produce high source ?
the only i knew was listening 1080p from youtube lol.

The 720p and 1080p ratings on YouTube actually refer to the video resolution; AFAIK the audio quality only improves slightly. I have all my music ripped from CDs or downloaded from sites that sell CD-quality downloads. I watch YouTube but I'm not very demanding about the audio quality as long as I can understand what the documentary or the reviewer is saying.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #45 of 161

No I only said there's a guarantee that it won't reach as low down the bass range as a larger speaker; if it can, it will require more compromises, because higher excursion to get more and louder low bass means the midwoofer will roll off earlier or have a lot more distortion in the midrange, which then means that to compensate they're going to have to use a tweeter that can take over at the midrange to compensate. That kind of design typically makes the crossover design more problematic. Not that the whole thing can't be done properly, it's just that it won't be cheap when you add up the cost of the drivers with such specs plus development of the crossover and the cabinets.

You'll notice that as it is the X4 is more expensive than the LSR305 and those are basically the reasons why, and yet, they are rated to have a frequency range of "60hz to 20khz." By cmparison the LSR305 are rated to have their -3dB point at 45hz. 15hz seems like a narrow range but that can mean a lot for what bass notes will sound like; not enough low bass for example can mean that bass drums can sound like a snare drum stuffed with pillows.

The thing is though while I would actually use the X4 if I really needed something small for my work desk, as I can appreciate the smaller form factor and ignore the bass deficiency if 1) it's very balanced elsewhere, making sure that nothing gets in they way of hearing what little bass is there; and 2) if the price was a little lower. For someone like you who is already looking into getting the H6 from the get go I'm not too positive that you can appreciate paying more for a lot less bass.

The 720p and 1080p ratings on YouTube actually refer to the video resolution; AFAIK the audio quality only improves slightly. I have all my music ripped from CDs or downloaded from sites that sell CD-quality downloads. I watch YouTube but I'm not very demanding about the audio quality as long as I can understand what the documentary or the reviewer is saying.

how is Adam , i dont know their series but in comparison with JBL LSR 305 ?
Adam Fseries , AX series , and ARTist series. dont know which is suitable for my desktop use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back