looking for a speaker setup
Sep 23, 2015 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 161

radmanhs

100+ Head-Fier
i want to get a 2.1 speaker setup for my dorm. I was looking around and decided2 to either get a cheap and easy setup with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, or I can go for individual parts.

The  problem is if I get individual parts, I'm not sure what would be the best.  I'm looking for a setup that costs a max of $300 and preferably available at best buy for the most part (get discounts there).

Any help? I can provide more info if needed.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 161
I would say the best value would be a used Klipsch Promedia 2.1 off eBay, usually can get something for under $100.
Also sometimes Bestbuy has the Promedia 2.1 on sale for $99.

I replaced my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 with Monoprice 5' studio monitors ($170).
It's only a 2.0 but sounds nice.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

Dayton Audio seems to offer some good bang for the buck (passive) speakers and sub-woofer.
Check them out at Parts Express.

Pioneer seems to some well liked passive speakers.

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmanhs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want to get a 2.1 speaker setup for my dorm. I was looking around and decided2 to either get a cheap and easy setup with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, or I can go for individual parts.

The  problem is if I get individual parts, I'm not sure what would be the best.  I'm looking for a setup that costs a max of $300 and preferably available at best buy for the most part (get discounts there).

Any help? I can provide more info if needed.

Given you're in a dorm a couple of things you have to consider are the size of each part of the system. Related to that is how important a subwoofer is - would you be able to crank it up enough to make the bulk worthwhile?

I suggest you don't buy the speakers until you're actually at the dorm, at which point you can figure out how much space you have, as well as how loud you can listen vis a vis rules, what kinds of walls and roommate you get, etc.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmanhs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I'm living in my dorm right now. I have enough room for a couple satellites and I can put the sub under my desk.  I want to say the sub is as important as the sats.

Take careful measurements of how much space you can devote to it, and in the case of the satellites, you need to measure extra since you might have to have them with a toe-in angle.

Check if this one fits:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/swan-m50w
http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443
http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/M50W

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 161
The Emotiva Airmotiv 4s are 2.0 but very very good. They're self-powered, so you don't need any external amp. As nearfield monitors, they're designed to sound much louder to you in the sweet spot (? your desk) than to other locations nearby. They're $299. 

Did I mention they sound very very good? To my mind, they're perfect for a dorm. 

HTH

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 161
  I would say the best value would be a used Klipsch Promedia 2.1 off eBay, usually can get something for under $100.
Also sometimes Bestbuy has the Promedia 2.1 on sale for $99.

I replaced my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 with Monoprice 5' studio monitors ($170).
It's only a 2.0 but sounds nice.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

Dayton Audio seems to off some good bang for the buck (passive) speakers and sub-woofer.
Check them out at Parts Express.

Pioneer seems to some well liked passive speakers.

monoprice 5' . is as good as jbl lsr 305 or better than jbl lsr 305 ?
jbl lsr 305 in my country is currently out of stock :frowning2:

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 161
  monoprice 5' . is as good as jbl lsr 305 or better than jbl lsr 305 ?
jbl lsr 305 in my country is currently out of stock :frowning2:

Not sure I could say the Monoprice 5" studio monitors are the equal of the JBL LSR305, but I would assume they are at least almost as good, and for a much lower price, then the LSR305.

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 161

Not sure I could say the Monoprice 5" studio monitors are the equal of the JBL LSR305, but I would assume they are at least almost as good, and for a much lower price, then the LSR305.

monoprice 5" is the same price for swan hivi m200mkiii 
any idea which is better ? 
monoprice i think i have to import over. my country doesnt seem to have monoprice distributor.

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 161
  Monoprice 5" is the same price for swan hivi m200mkiii 
any idea which is better ? 
Monoprice i think i have to import over. my country doesn't seem to have Monoprice distributor.

Monoprice is located in Southern California and everything ships out of the California location.
Unless you live in the USA, shipping out of the country is high.

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 161
  yeah i live in malaysia. i doubt the ship it here ? even if they do is going to be expensive.

Check if you have a Swans speaker distributor in your area, we have one here in Manila. HQ is in California I think but production is in Taiwan. If you do have one, then you might even be able to try out the M50W in one of the dealers.

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 161

Check if you have a Swans speaker distributor in your area, we have one here in Manila. HQ is in California I think but production is in Taiwan. If you do have one, then you might even be able to try out the M50W in one of the dealers.

i do, and i currently own a m50w. 
i want to give it to my brother. so im looking for an upgrade. probably gonna try out mk200 mkiii , t200b and the x4
is the h6 sub by swans worth getting ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back