Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home.
May 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FlyingHans

New Head-Fier
Hi

just joined head-fi a few days ago, first post here, but i have been reading the posts here for some time now.  thanks and forgive my naivety.

right now i am doing most of my listening w/ my ath-w1000x out of my WA6.  the WA6 for me has really smoothed out those headphones unlike i had heard before on any other amp, and right now i am enjoying the very sweet sound unlike i have on any other headphone in awhile.  the problem is i work on ships for months at a time and i really cant be lugging the WA6 on an off flights overseas all the time,  so i am looking for a small tube amp, easy to safely pack in my backpack when i travel, but not a portable amp...its just going to sit in my room once onboard ship.

i was trying to find the earmax pro but cant find it in stock anywhere, and other than that i am really clueless about where to start looking.  i am willing to spend between $600 and $1000 i guess because i dont want to downgrade from my WA6 sound.  but if there is anything cheaper that really holds it own let me know.  thanks  -jason

May 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 6
TTVJ used to make a tube portable amp (it used a pair of tiny tubes) but it has been discontinued. Quite a number of portable amps have the option to switch around the OPAMPs (the amplification circuits) to suit people's tastes. OPAMPs, like tubes, all have a slightly different "sound". A good example is the Practical Devices amp Jude reviewed in one of the Head-Fi videocasts (see the front page) but there are quite a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back