1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a portable, sturdy pair of headphones

1. mimafogeus
    Hey,

Hopefully, this is the right place to post such requests.

I'm looking for a pair of on-the-go headphones. I'd consider over-the-ear or in-ear, although the second category usually (from what I've seen) comes with a thin, thin, not-so-sturdy cable. here's what I'm looking for in a pair:
    1. Awesome, clear, detailed sound. I'm no bass-head, and will prefer details over excessive volume in that area, especially if that would be a trade-of in the mid-range and trebles
    2. Should be a good overall pair, genre-wise. They're going to go through electronica, rock, pop, jazz, soundtracks, bluegrass, ambiance and about everything else I might encounter
    3. Relatively low resistance. Should be able to get a decent amount of juice from an iPhone without an amp
    4. Sturdy. Preferably, with a separable cable - one that you plug into the headphones, not an integral one (as with the Goldring DR150)
    5. Mobile. Should be at least foldable into an ~A5 notebook-sized messenger bag
    6. Insulating to some degree. Mainly as a consideration of the people around me
    7. At the $75-$175 range

So far I've had the pleasure to have a Grado SR-80i, a Goldring DR150 and a Hifiman Re-Zero, all of which I vastly enjoyed. Anything at their level or sound characteristics could be nice, especially of any of the first two.

Thank you very, very much,
    ~Miki

2. mimafogeus
    Bump

3. Chrismust
    Seems i am gonna to make somebody uncomfortable. I recommend Bose ae2 based on your every requirement, an extremely comfortable headphone and provides good isolation. I knew it's not popular in head-fi. Anyway, comfort and isolation are the priority for a portable headphones. Music is for us to enjoy. No way to endure wearing a uncomfortable headphone when listening to your favourtite songs. And, without good isolation, there's no difference between hd800 and 10 dollars stuff when u are in the bus. In addition, ae2 can provide acceptable sound quality, even though it's not the best one in this price range.
    PS: If you only consider the sound quality on a portable headphone, skip ae2 and pick another one. 

4. 1audioz
    Sennheiser PX100 / PX200 ?