Looking for a pair of over the ear headphones for under $150
Oct 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
Those are both right in my price range and the style is what I'm looking for.   By the way, whats the life expectancy of the TMAs the Shures and the Beyers?  And anyone know about how good their warranties/customer service are?

Shure are renowned for being very gracious with their customer warranty, often replacing and repairing units that are clearly
defective due to customer abuse.

Something is really wrong if either pair does not last you 8-10 years and even then all it will need is a re-cable job.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #18 of 28
I like those KRK KNS-8400s.  I'm at a tie between the 8400s, the TMA-1s, and the Shure SRH840s.  Thanks for that life expectancy, I was thinking 5 years if I was LUCKY, then again I'm used to replacing my Skullcandys every 10 months lol.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
I like those KRK KNS-8400s.  I'm at a tie between the 8400s, the TMA-1s, and the Shure SRH840s.  Thanks for that life expectancy, I was thinking 5 years if I was LUCKY, then again I'm used to replacing my Skullcandys every 10 months lol.

It's quite amazing, you'll find some guys on here who've had the same headphones for 20 years or more.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #21 of 28
 Is there any place where you could audition them?

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 28
Hmm that would be great, but is only a RadioShack within walking distance.  It's been a while since I've been in a RadioShack, do they have headphones you can try on? I'm in my first year of college so no car on campus yet.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Hmm that would be great, but is only a RadioShack within walking distance.  It's been a while since I've been in a RadioShack, do they have headphones you can try on? I'm in my first year of college so no car on campus yet.

They wouldn't have many.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #24 of 28
I can also say that the 8400s are more comfortable and lightweight than the 840s, and while the TMA-1s are slightly lighter, I found the 8400s to be more comfortable than those, as well, because the 8400s are circumaural, whereas the TMA-1s are just supraaural (YMMV).

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #26 of 28
Oh, I forgot to mention, I wear glasses so there can't be too much clamping force.  How are the KRK KNS-8400s with glasses?  I don't really know how to determine too much force without testing them out first hand, anyone out there with glasses and a pair of KRK KNS-8400s?

Also, I read some reviews on the 8400s and the one complaint people have is the lower bass response when compared to other headphones. Is this a big problem?  I don't doubt the bass will be better then my current cheap in ear buds, but how does the bass stack up against other similarly priced headphones?

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #27 of 28
The ear cushions on the 8400s are of a memory foam material, so they conform to whatever shape your head/ears/glasses is/are.  I don't have glasses, but I would assume they're comfortable even then.  Comfort was a concern of mine when I bought them, as well, and the cups aren't super deep, but the earpads are very comfortable.  I consider the 8400s to be very well balanced, and not having any super noticeable drawbacks regarding any part of the spectrum.  If I had to be critical, they could use maybe a touch more bass (and that's where my FA-003s come in), but if you were only to have one pair, I think they'd definitely be adequate.  IIRC, the 840s (which I had briefly) were warmer and smoother, and the ATH M50s were a little brighter.  Again, I think they're well balanced, and you won't really miss bass that could be there.  I think they're pretty much in the middle with regard to headphones that have a lot of bass and headphones that have a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back