Looking for a pair of Headphones for Metal
Jan 17, 2013 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

arda7an

New Head-Fier
Hey wassup guys!
as you can see in the Title, I am looking for a pair of headphones mainly for listening to metal.
Budget: $400 (Well $450 max)
And here are the bands that I usually listen to:
Amon Amarth , Wintersun , Dark Funeral , Dimmu Borgir , Immortal , Dark Tranquility , Arch Enemy , Burzum , Mayhem , Behemoth
and some Celldweller and Blue Stahli.

Ah. I also forgot to mention that I want to use these headphones with my mobile so are these headphones that you recommended good for using on the bus and in the metro?
I just want them to be comfortable. Isolation is also a must.

Any Suggestions?

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
Grado makes headphone great for those kind of genres
smily_headphones1.gif

+1
Save some money and get the SR60i or 80i.  It will give you a good idea of what the "grado sound" is like.  If you like em, upgrade to one of the higher grade grado's like the SR225i, 335i.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 20
I'll check them out. Any other brands or models?
I know I might sound like an idiot but how about Beats Pro :D (I just want to know why they are not good for my music)?

Beats Pro is never in the list here because it is horribly overpriced just because of that "b" logo on it. For $400, you can get something that sound thousand times better. :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 20
Beats Pro are probably a bad candidate for rock/metal because they're relatively v-shaped; I don't think it'd be overall a good match. Value is another consideration with them.

The Grados are a good suggestion. You might also look at the Ultrasone open-back models, or maybe the AT A900X if you need some isolation.

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 20
What's wrong with v-shaped for rock/metal? I never understood what shape is good for what genres.

The Beats Pro are *very* v-shaped which IMO doesn't work well with acoustic music (but my understanding is that's not what they're voiced for - so it makes sense). Basically the bass and treble boost can make them less forgiving/tolerant with some recordings because they'll either put too much top end or too much bottom end. That said, Beats Pro are really clean for what they are (it's kind of uncanny), so they might actually hold up fairly well. I haven't spent enough time with them to say that definitively though.

As far as the broader question, there's no absolute right or wrong answer - I'm sure there's someone out there who likes their Beats Pro for metal or rock, but IMO I don't think it's likely the best combination. I'm guessing they'd be a lot more "fun" with something like EDM or hip-hop.

As far as alternates to the Grado cans - Ultrasone HFI-2400 would be worth a look, as well as the AT A900X;

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 20
Ah. I also forgot to mention that I want to use these headphones with my mobile so are these headphones that you recommended good for using on the bus and in the metro?
I just want them to be comfortable. Isolation is also a must. My choice so far is AT A900X. While searching on the forum I saw that people have some problem with the Grados comfort.

Any other suggestions?

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #11 of 20
I just want them to be comfortable. Isolation is also a must. My choice so far is AT A900X. While searching on the forum I saw that people have some problem with the Grados comfort.

Any other suggestions?

The Grados and Ultrasones are out based on that, and imho the A900X are too large for mobile use. The Koss DJ100/TBSE/DJ200 (more or less the same thing) are a very good candidate here; you might also try going over to the IEM subforum and asking there - I'm sure someone will have a suggestion of a good IEM (which would isolate better and be more portable).

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 20
It's so true that the Grado line has had a long and broad following here at Head-Fi. I have tried to get into them but it never seemed to work out. The SR60i is maybe a great value but I ended up returning them in a couple hours. Also the 225i was not what I was looking for. They have great PRaT but I don't know, I just could not ever get into em?

For myself anyway, the most important part in metal is the lower guitar sound. The rhythm I think needs to have pace and a special tone. I ended up getting my Denon AH-D7000 headphones for $450 usd used and they fit for metal. They are liked by a small group around here for metal. There could be many more headphones for metal, I have really not heard all that many. The best thing is to find a meet near where you live and walk in with a stack of CDs. You will be surprised how many members would love for you to play your music in their systems.

Great list! My favorite bands!
Amon Amarth , Wintersun , Dark Funeral , Dimmu Borgir , Immortal , Dark Tranquility , Arch Enemy , Burzum , Mayhem , Behemoth
biggrin.gif

Good Luck!

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 20
No I like bigger headphones. When I checked the Beats Pro size today (tested in store) It was comfortable for me. Size doesn't matter. The bigger the better. I just don't want the cables to get in the way.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 20
Sweet band list!

I got the AT ATH-M50 with a DAC/USB combo and listen to the same genre as you. I like the sound in them but.. i am in search for new headphones to upgrade. I am kinda into the Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro limited edition and Ultrasone HFI-580, thats no 400$ but some like to take it slow. :)

I'll follow this thread and see what gives.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 20
No I like bigger headphones. When I checked the Beats Pro size today (tested in store) It was comfortable for me. Size doesn't matter. The bigger the better. I just don't want the cables to get in the way.

A900X is much larger. :xf_eek:

Anyways, I'll leave you with the Koss headphones, and Redcarmoose's good advice to demo equipment before you buy. If you really like the Beats Pro, I'd say just go for it; it sounds like you're pretty well decided on them, and if it's what you like, it's what you like. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back