Looking for a new set of headphones
Feb 15, 2011 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

trybul

New Head-Fier
Hey, 
   New to the forum, and really new to the world of headphones.
 I currently am using a set of Grado sr80i's on a laptop. I really don't use them with anything else..although i may soon.
So having said that, i would like to find something that will work with a computer, and then later on my home stereo. 
I like the Grado's but i do not like all the plastic... and would like something that i better sounding. 
  But i am not sure if going into something like a stax, AKG, or higher end grado will work well on a computer.. suggestions
  also should throw this in... I have tried AKG, but they do not fit my head, in fact the grado' s are almost too big...not sure how the stax size....
thanks
c

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 6
ESW9?
HD-25?
ES10?
T50p?
I don't know, just throwing those out there, read up on their reviews, see what you like.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 6
Mad max, thanks for the suggestions, i will start to research them.. 

Skuntruk... not sure i follow, are you saying that i should run the lap top through a dac? and perhaps an amp? suggestions.( really new to this headphone thing)...
as for the other source.. i am quite happy with it, i would running them out of my bryston pre-amp.
c

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 6
I love the Grado SR-80i.  Perhaps what you may want is a Headroom Total Bithead which will give you nice sound out of your computer much to your surprise.

If you are looking for something sealed I really recommend the ATH-M50.  After a good 60 hour burn in they will be your standard reference / fun headphone for your home stereo.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 6
You should definitely try to find a dac/amp first. Audio-gd has some great stuff if you have the money and the patience for overseas shipping =D. There is also the 225is or 325is if you feel like moving up the Grado chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back