Looking for a good pair of bass rich headphones.
Jul 12, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 47

Quote:
NEVER do open back ultrasones.  Pro series ftw.  I recommend 550, 750, 900  

Why is that? 

I agree that the pro series has its very good virtues by the way, particularly if one wants a bassy headphone (and more with the Kees mod).

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 47

Quote:
Why is that? 

I agree that the pro series has its very good virtues by the way, particularly if one wants a bassy headphone (and more with the Kees mod).

the open back models I tried were very sibilant. They actually hurt my ears a bit. If you want a bassy open headphone, I would check out Beyers but then a bassy closed headphone is far different from a bassy open one. I, personally, find Beyers to be boring

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 47
Well right now I have beyerdynamic dt/990/600ohms and I like them but they are no where near portable and It seems hard to get good sound from them because of such high impedance I was thinking of getting the ultrasone hfi 2400 because of the great reviews and howmthey can travel much much better than they beyers

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #22 of 47
Well those DT990 will be better than any Ultrasone you can buy imo except for the VERY top model (even then I prefer the dt990). I myself have tried both. I own the DT990 currently and have tried several Ultrasones. I will say it again, if you want bass, the hfi 2400 won't do it, Ultrasones open models are much less bassy than their closed. I again recommend the Proline 550. BTW Ultrasone comfort and build quality is no where near the DT990's.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #23 of 47
build quality is rock solid.  almost indestructible compared to beyers or almost any other headphone for that matter. comfort would be subjective. i find beyers and ultrasone Pros equally as comfortable

ive tried many beyers. wonderful smooth sound, but doesnt satisfy my intense basshead needs

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #25 of 47
Bass is really subjective, and it really depends on what you use to test bass response.  The bass in, say, classic rock tracks is much higher than the bass in modern electronica.  Whether the bass on Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused has any impact is a totally different question than whether or not you can hear the lowest bass in Beck's Earthquake Weather or The Chemical Brothers' Under the Influence.  Whether or not you get anything at the bottom of the action scenes in War of the Worlds is another question altogether--and probably isn't really even relevant when we're talking headphones, since the peaks are down at 14-15hz.

Bottom line, I think when you drive the DT990/600 properly, you get excellent bass regardless of what you listen to.  Not ear-bleeding bass, but they sound like a large pair of speakers for bass, not headphones.

They reproduce the tymps in Mahler orchestral music well, and don't crap out during those huge hits.
They have plenty of kick at "electric bass guitar" range.  Probably not as much as some headphones, but that's really only mid-bass.
Loading up Under the Influence again, I can't even imagine any more impact than this.  It doesn't bottom out like some cans, and I find I have to turn it down after a few seconds. There's just a lot.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #26 of 47
I prefer the bass from Beyer, but you really need a good amp. You should avoid AKG K701 or K702.
If you need plenty of bass, then I recommend Bose around-ear or on-ear. The bass is super strong though, even without an amp.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #27 of 47
DT990 is scary good. I've heard bassy headphones but this is just good bass.

You can ruin your music with your everyday crap bassy headphones if you want but DT990 is serious music right there.

Jul 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #28 of 47

Quote:
I recommend Bose around-ear or on-ear. The bass is super strong though, even without an amp.

Nooo!!!!

Quote:
DT990 is scary good. I've heard bassy headphones but this is just good bass.

Yes! Beyers bass is punchy... perfect for bassheads. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #29 of 47

I prefer the bass from Beyer, but you really need a good amp. You should avoid AKG K701 or K702.

If you need plenty of bass, then I recommend Bose around-ear or on-ear. The bass is super strong though, even without an amp.

For the price of the bose, u could get the head ripping bass monster ultrasone hfi 580 for less and is detailed or eletronica loving pro 550

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #30 of 47
My main deal right now is either keeping my beyer dt990/600s or getting the ultrasone hfi 2400s either way I'm getting the d4 headphone amp from ibasso. Mainly I just don't know if i would be taking a step down in audio quality or would it be the same quality or better, not sure. I do move around a lot and it seems like the ultrasone would be better for traveling in a backpack. I just don't know. Haha you guys are my guru's for sound equipment, thanks for the help so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back