Looking for a few answers about which amp to choose and source.ui
Jan 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Inconsistent

New Head-Fier
Hi,

After the holidays I have come into possession of a few audio goodies that I couldn't resist from purchasing. I came into possession of an AKG K701, as well as a HiFiMan 601. I am very satisfied with my purchases but I think I'm missing a few components to make my setup from sounding amazing to my ears. 

I am currently looking for an amp for the AKG K701 and was thinking of the Matrix M-Stage amp would be a good fit. At the moment I am using a Pa2v2 which was adequate for my Alessandro MS1's but are nowhere near enough for the K701's. Would anyone else have any suggestions for amps near the price range of the M-stage?

Also I'm quite concerned about which source component I should be using to listen to my music. As I type right now I am using my computer with its onboard sound connected to the Pa2v2, however I find that the HiFiMan 601 provides better sound, but when using the line out along with the Pa2v2, I get distortion at higher volumes. Would it be better to invest in a good soundcard, or would a external dac (I'm not sure if that's the correct thing I'm thinking of).

Or would it sound better to just use the HiFiMan along with an amp? Also not being to use the computer would probably be beneficial to me as it would keep my computer turned off and away from distractions when studying.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back