Looking for a bassy (Beats killer) headphone...Sony XB700 vs. DJ1(Pro) vs HFI 580/780
May 6, 2011 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

mindy123

Head-Fier
I have been on here a while now and I finally want to buy something good. I ordered a DJ1 Pro but it had a faulty cable so wouldn't work properly. So i don't know how good that could have been. Before i return i was wondering if I should exchange it for something else? I chose ultrasone as I heard they are the best for electro/house music and i liked the styling of the DJ1. Having had another look round here i hear that sony's range destroy the beats and that the cheaper DJ1 is actually better than the DJ1 Pro for bass? Is this because the DJ1 is based on the HIFI 580 which is a bassy phone whereas the Pro is based on the Pro 550?

Budget is $400 approx.

May 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 37
There's about 3 or 4 questions in there lumped into 1 small paragraph (i should take notes as i'm opposite lol!) but what is it that you're actually asking here ? Perhaps if you were a little more clear with your question you might get more experienced people answering you bud....

Also the Sony XB700 is a £60 headphone and the Beats are well into the hundreds.....significant price difference! But with a $400 budget have you considered the Denon line ? Perhaps the D5000 ? 

May 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 37
What about the XB1000? Also consider Darth Beyers and the Pro 900s. I'll be receiving both XB1000s and Darth Beyers next week, I let you know which one is the best in my opinion.

May 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 37
Also, what will you be pluggin your headphones into?  And, will be using a headphone amplifier as well?

May 7, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 37

Quote:
There's about 3 or 4 questions in there lumped into 1 small paragraph (i should take notes as i'm opposite lol!) but what is it that you're actually asking here ? Perhaps if you were a little more clear with your question you might get more experienced people answering you bud....

Also the Sony XB700 is a £60 headphone and the Beats are well into the hundreds.....significant price difference! But with a $400 budget have you considered the Denon line ? Perhaps the D5000 ? 

Yeah, sorry about that, I am just so confused. Had such high hopes for the Ultrasone DJ1-Pros and when they failed it left me back feeling lost! 

I know the sony is cheap but apparently it outperforms the Beats. I say I have a $400 limit as most of the guys on here are from the states, I actually live in the UK and that Denon D5000 is £400 here. At the current rate $400 is around £250. That is about my limit.

May 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 37

Quote:
What about the XB1000? Also consider Darth Beyers and the Pro 900s. I'll be receiving both XB1000s and Darth Beyers next week, I let you know which one is the best in my opinion.

That would be awesome if you could let me know how that goes. The pro 900s are a bit too pricey here in the UK for my budget though. 

May 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 37

Quote:
Also, what will you be pluggin your headphones into?  And, will be using a headphone amplifier as well?

My source is just my toshiba laptop and my ipod touch... I am new to the amp thing. I see a lot of people repping the Fiio amps so might get one of those too. Do the amps just plug into the headphone jack on my laptop and ipod?

May 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 37

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about that, I am just so confused. Had such high hopes for the Ultrasone DJ1-Pros and when they failed it left me back feeling lost! 

I know the sony is cheap but apparently it outperforms the Beats. I say I have a $400 limit as most of the guys on here are from the states, I actually live in the UK and that Denon D5000 is £400 here. At the current rate $400 is around £250. That is about my limit.

Ah I'm UK too lol. Now I can speak English haha, so yeah with a 250 quid budget if you want bassy and good, off the top of my head and from what I've read I can still recommend the Denon line (D2000) but from experience I can also recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (no buyer bias, more having heard what they do first hand) of which the Beyer is well within your budget m8. I know they don't get a lot of love here, but you must appreciate the things you want in your headphone and extrapolate from there. Never buy a headphone based solely on elitist type approval as that's a recipe for disappointment. 

Relativity and perspective is a key you'll want to keep hold of in this game! And good luck with your search pal, I hope I've been of help and check out Amazon for the Beyers. My review:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0011UB9CQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RHD770WFZC6QT

May 7, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 37
The DT990 has a high quality and impactful bass, but people coming from Beats might want something more bassy.

I'd start off with the XB700 and pair it with an amp/dac to make them even better. The DT770 Pro 80 also will please you but they definitely want an amp, whereas the XB700 doesn't need one but rewards you if you do get one.

Haven't heard it, but the D2000 is another well known option.

May 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 37

Quote:
Ah I'm UK too lol. Now I can speak English haha, so yeah with a 250 quid budget if you want bassy and good, off the top of my head and from what I've read I can still recommend the Denon line (D2000) but from experience I can also recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (no buyer bias, more having heard what they do first hand) of which the Beyer is well within your budget m8. I know they don't get a lot of love here, but you must appreciate the things you want in your headphone and extrapolate from there. Never buy a headphone based solely on elitist type approval as that's a recipe for disappointment. 

Relativity and perspective is a key you'll want to keep hold of in this game! And good luck with your search pal, I hope I've been of help and check out Amazon for the Beyers. My review:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0011UB9CQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RHD770WFZC6QT

Thanks for the reply, but atm I am only considering closed type headphones. As a student wanting to use them in the library and whilst travelling portability and isolation are key. I will be looking to get an open headphone soon though. Will keep the beyer in mind.

May 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 37

Quote:
The DT990 has a high quality and impactful bass, but people coming from Beats might want something more bassy.

I'd start off with the XB700 and pair it with an amp/dac to make them even better. The DT770 Pro 80 also will please you but they definitely want an amp, whereas the XB700 doesn't need one but rewards you if you do get one.

Haven't heard it, but the D2000 is another well known option.

I don't already have beats, but after listening to my friend's beats, i decided i liked the quantity of bass but not the quality. I will look into the XB700, what would be a good amp for it?

The D2000 would be perfect if it wasn't for the 3 metre cable, not the most portable cans according to some reviews.

May 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 37
Here are some portable amp suggestions for ya:

ALO Rx MKII

Fiio E5, E11

Headstage Arrow

iBasso T3, D4, D6, P4

Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang, Shadow

May 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #14 of 37
I'm not sure the XB700 would be ideal for library situations.

I suggest the Denon D1100 for a bassy portable. It can be had for around £100. Although I managed to get mine in a HMV sale for £70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back