Look at what I picked up yesterday :D
Feb 16, 2011 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

elliot42

500+ Head-Fier
3a682a15-4e17-af5b.jpg

Should be fun!

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 74
pardon my ignorance, what is that for?

It's a CNC router. There are 3 stepper motors that move the router spindle across the X and Y axis of the table and up and down on the Z axis. You draw up designs to cut holes, slots, engrave, etc. in a CAD drawing program, convert that to code the machine can understand (G-code) and it cuts the drawing in material (aluminium, wood, plastic, PCBs) for you; nice and clean and accurate.
I've never done any CNC routing before, but I'll have fun leaning how and producing (hopefully) some nice work.

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 74
I tried setting up EMC2 this morning and got the X and Y jogging in one direction, but I was a bit rushed (had to get to work, now I'm sitting here wanting to be at home playing with the machine) and need to sit down and figure out the proper configuration.
I've been trying a bunch of different CAD/CAM software packages and I really like the products from Vectric; really easy to use and seems like I could get something drawn up and cutting pretty quickly. Once I get EMC2 going, that is.
I might have to ward off Sydney DIYers until I get some cutting done for myself :p. And qusp mentioned he'd been eying off a similar router, maybe we'll have another to service the Brisbane DIY crowd :wink:

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 74
Quote:
I might have to ward off Sydney DIYers until I get some cutting done for myself
tongue.gif
. And qusp mentioned he'd been eying off a similar router, maybe we'll have another to service the Brisbane DIY crowd
wink.gif

...too late, words out,
That looks fricken awesome Owen, I can’t wait to see some of your first panels done and perfected, so I can come over and play...

congrats!

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 74
I think elliot42 is going to get very popular very soon.  I don't have the space for toys like that.

One thing, you've got it inside the house....move it to the garage.  All the bits that come off might scratch up your hardwood floors.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 74
^^
That box under the bench/desk is a cert to get some swarf into the ventilation holes.

[size=small]swarf [swɔːf swɑːf][/size]
n 1. (Engineering / General Engineering) material removed by cutting or grinding tools in the machining of metals, stone, etc.
2. (Chemistry) (Engineering / Metallurgy) radioactive metal waste from a nuclear power station
3. (Astronautics) small fragments of disintegrating spacecraft, orbiting the earth [of Scandinavian origin; related to Old Norse svarf metallic dust]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

p.s. You'll be using that word frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back