Look at what I picked up yesterday :D
May 17, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #61 of 74
Hmm... Grado cups. I'll laminate some MDF to make a block and see what I can do this weekend.
A lathe would be the correct tool for the job, but I think I could do it with the router.

EDIT - Actually, I have some pine scraps from some 2x4s that would be a good size. :D

May 17, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #62 of 74

Quote:
Hmm... Grado cups. I'll laminate some MDF to make a block and see what I can do this weekend.
A lathe would be the correct tool for the job, but I think I could do it with the router.

EDIT - Actually, I have some pine scraps from some 2x4s that would be a good size.
biggrin.gif

Ah man, you're killing me. 
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #64 of 74
Actually, that should be quite the experiment. A lathe is the natural first choice for that application, but, it seems feasible the router could pull it off. Should be interesting to see the results.

Certainly makes engraving the cups easier!

May 18, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #69 of 74
You could make cups that were some other shape than completely round.
Maybe round that transitioned into square or oblong...

Quote:
Actually, that should be quite the experiment. A lathe is the natural first choice for that application, but, it seems feasible the router could pull it off. Should be interesting to see the results.

Certainly makes engraving the cups easier!

May 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #71 of 74
I'm not sure about transitioning shapes, might need some 3D CAD/CAM software for that (plus 3D modeling experience).
I have, however, done up some rough toolpaths in 2.5D for some Grado cups.
No idea how they'd actually turn out but here's a simulation (top and bottom cuts, not an actual 3D model, so you can't see the undercuts in the first pic):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back