Look at what I picked up yesterday :D
Feb 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 74
I just had to 'adjust' the gantry to get it aligned to bolt to the table.
It definitely won't be staying inside. I'll be putting together a bench once I have some wood and time this weekend or next, then it'll be moving to the carport. I'll cover it and keep it locked up by building a plywood hood of sorts to cover the whole bench when not in use.

It'll probably be a bit of a wait before I get anything nice made up, but I'll be sure to post it when I do. I just wanted to show off the new toy; I'm a little bit excited :D

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #17 of 74
Perhaps you should setup a CNC Router Time Share?

We send you our panels and designs and then you charge us for milling time and wear and tear?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 74
Johnwmclean will probably call me a smarty, but....

If elliot42 starts engraving with it, he'll need to watch the kerning...........................

Go for it, John   snigger snigger.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #19 of 74
What is that ?

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #22 of 74
John,
I just knew you'd take the lead.................

wink_face.gif
L3000.gif
darthsmile.gif
beerchug.gif

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

If a picture is worth a thousand words, why do pictures usually need captions.....?????

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #24 of 74
awesome elliot!!, well you sure beat me to the punch. i have been thinking seriously about it, but you just went out and did it. thats huge!! you were looking smaller initially yeah? wise choice though i think. are the cutting bits proprietary, or can you use any of the thousands of bits that are no doubt out there with this machine? you know that before i buy one i'm waiting to see your results in person. i call next diy meet at elliots place?

and John, thats so damn funny man, i'm stealing it, my mother will love that. me thinks elliot needs our help with a supply of well kerned typefaces

and internationals, get your own damn slave 
wink_face.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #25 of 74
I had considered the smaller router, but thought it wasn't worth getting the smaller table when I know what I want to cut now and in the future will be pushing the limits of the small table size. It would be workable, but it seemed silly to get something that was only just adequate :)
The spindle has a shaft that takes ER11 collets, nothing proprietary there. But it does only come with a 1/8" collet so I'll be getting a set when I buy some end mills and other bits. ER11 size collets can take bits with shafts from 0.5 to 7mm in diameter.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #27 of 74
indeed mate, bigger is certainly better in this world, you going to go through a self replicating stage to make more vices etc.? seems whenever i see someone has bought something like this it becomes very useful for making other parts to expand the capability. we expect great things from you Elliot, no pressure 
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #29 of 74
I just googled "CNC router"... Holy crap, those prices!

You have fun with that!

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #30 of 74
Hehe, 'no pressure' indeed. I haven't thought much about making tooling with the router, other than some more/better hold-down clamps.
Don't expect anything amazing any time soon though, I have to get a bench set up and actually learn how to use everything :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back