Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,726 of 2,910
How hard is for the average user to create a PRIR? I read somewhere that Lorr uses some kind of laser measuring tool, I suppose it's for measuring distance between the speakers?

May 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #1,728 of 2,910
<<As far as "exchanging" PRIR's among Realiser owners... as has been discussed at great length on this thread, that's not really going to produce "optimal" results.  A PRIR is a personal measurement thing, for YOUR EARS.>>

Absolutely correct.  However, there are only so many variations on the morphology of the human ear and skull.  I bet if I had a bunch of PRIRs to listen to I might find one that sounds great.  In any case, it would be interesting to try.

That being said, I hope in my travels to find some great systems to emulate with my own ears.  As mentioned, audio is my thing, so I seek the audiophile nirvana but can't afford several hundred thousand dollars for a superb system in superbly tuned room.

Stewart

May 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,729 of 2,910
Quote:

Absolutely correct.  However, there are only so many variations on the morphology of the human ear and skull.  I bet if I had a bunch of PRIRs to listen to I might find one that sounds great.  In any case, it would be interesting to try.

That being said, I hope in my travels to find some great systems to emulate with my own ears.  As mentioned, audio is my thing, so I seek the audiophile nirvana but can't afford several hundred thousand dollars for a superb system in superbly tuned room.

Stewart

People insist on this... There are only so many variations on the morphology of the human eyes, however I find it extremely unlikely you would get someone elses glasses fitting your prescription with minimum good results for your eyes.  
happy_face1.gif
 It's the way the Realiser works... 

Quote:

He uses a "laser compass", just to get the angles precise for the setup... from the listener chair to each of the speakers.

So, do I need such a thing when doing a PRIR at someone else's room myself or may I just estimate? 

May 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,730 of 2,910

<<People insist on this... There are only so many variations on the morphology of the human eyes, however I find it extremely unlikely you would get someone elses glasses fitting your prescription with minimum good results for your eyes.  
happy_face1.gif
 It's the way the Realiser works...>>

Very true!  But being of an empirical bent of mind, I think I'll try a few PRIRs made in very good rooms and I'll let you know how they sound to me.  This is assuming I can find those willing to exchange them that is.  

And the point for me is not necessarily to recreate how the room would sound to me, for which I definitely and absolutely would need my self-created PRIR.  But rather, to experiment with various sonic signatures to see what they are like, and if any of them produce sounds that please and excite me.  I won't know until I try this.  I do know that the default PRIR that came with the Realiser sounded terrible to me.  So if that's how it turns out, this experiment could turn out to be a waste of time, for sure.

SK 

May 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #1,731 of 2,910
It most certainly won't hurt you trying, so good luck my friend and let us know the outcome! 
happy_face1.gif

May 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,732 of 2,910
Quote:
So, do I need such a thing when doing a PRIR at someone else's room myself or may I just estimate? 

Well, the speaker angles (including vertical as well as horizontal) from your seat are part of the setup data entry for a PRIR calibration.  If your studio owner can simply tell you what they believe those angles to be, and they're reasonably accurate, I'm sure that would be fine.

Lorr just like to be EXACT (as it cannot hurt and can only help), and the more accurate is the room description the more accurate will be the resutling PRIR in trying to mimic the exact sound of that room to your ears... including any unintended imperfection caused by where the actual speaker was placed vs. where it was ideally supposed to be placed.

May 9, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #1,733 of 2,910
Quote:

<<People insist on this... There are only so many variations on the morphology of the human eyes, however I find it extremely unlikely you would get someone elses glasses fitting your prescription with minimum good results for your eyes.  
happy_face1.gif
 It's the way the Realiser works...>>

Very true!  But being of an empirical bent of mind, I think I'll try a few PRIRs made in very good rooms and I'll let you know how they sound to me.  This is assuming I can find those willing to exchange them that is.  

I did this first off before doing my own PRIR, the speakers sound very much in front of your face and they sounded like they were on the ceiling.

May 9, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #1,734 of 2,910
I have tried out several PRIR's that other folk have been kind enough to send on to me. I have a couple now that work extremely well for me, one from Aix and one from Germany. I can compare them with the preloaded Smyth PRIR and the other prirs I received that don't work so well, and the difference is chalk and cheese. I'd love to get my own PRIR done in Aix/Germany to see exactly how much better it can be, but time and cost prevents me from doing so right now.
 I reckon if you can get enough PRIR's to test you'll find something that works well until such time as you can get a personalised calibration. That's why I went for the Realiser over the Headzone. 

May 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #1,735 of 2,910
Quote:
I did this first off before doing my own PRIR, the speakers sound very much in front of your face and they sounded like they were on the ceiling.

I had a similar demo for myself way back in 2009 at Smyth in Camarillo. I had my own PRIR made right there, and then compared it to a second PRIR made for Steve Cheung right there.

Listening to Steve's sounded to me like "diagonal astigmatism of the ears"!  In other words, the room sounded "tilted" and "askew", with the left speaker and right speaker seemingly at different heights (not to mention not really where I knew their horizontal angular placement to be ).  In contrast, listening to my own PRIR was perfectly "transparent" and sounded like the actual speakers in the room.

There's simply no substitute for doing a PRIR measurement with your own ears, even if the speakers and room are not stellar.

May 11, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #1,737 of 2,910
In principle I'd agree, but not necessarily in practice. I made my own 7.1 PRIR with a pair of Definitive Technology Protower 400's. I made several calibrations to get the best possible version. Even though this is calibrated to my ears it is not as good as two of the PRIR's that others have kindly shared with me. The superior speakers and especially the superior rooms that these calibrations were made in trumped my own measurement. I do have other prirs from these two rooms that are inferior to my own PRIR, so I got lucky that two of the shared PRIR's sounded good to my ears.

Personally I believe that Smyth should set up a large database of numbered PRIR's made in one location like Aix, all done from different ear types. People can download these, create profiles and compare them on the fly until they find the best fit for them. This is what I did with the shared PRIR's I received. 

While personal calibration is still the ultimate goal, most everybody should get a reasonable fit if they put up enough PRIR's, and this will increase the marketability of the Realiser. 

May 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,738 of 2,910
Im also a strong believer that with enough prirs to try you can get very good results.
But I think there's 2 different types of people active on the last pages of this thread (since I got active here).

1. The kind that just seek a good sound

2. The kind that want to clone an exact sound/room.

I have been trying over 40 Prirs, and yeah alot of them sound very different even though made at the same studio and alot sound very alike. Its kinda hard to explain why they sound different but in the end the general difference I noticed were the positioning of the behind speakers (the spatial feeling) and the color of the sound in general. I might adjust my statement after some more experience but this is what I noticed in my first week. Speakers sounding like they hang on the ceiling and unequal balance between front or back speakers i have not noticed yet.

1. The people who dont care about hearing an exact clone the way it meant to be but just seek a good sound and surround experience dont worry you will find it. After finding a prir that does sound very good in your ears I doubt that if you would do the same prir for yourself in that same studio it would be a difference between day and night

2. People who want to hear an exact clone using someone else's prirs, well after hearing so many different sounding prirs from the same studio i am convinced this would be very hard

Anyways, like I asked for in one of my earlier posts im more than happy to exchange some prirs with people :)

Just leave me a private message please so we can exchange email adresses and start sending :)

May 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,739 of 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have been trying over 40 Prirs, and yeah alot of them sound very different even though made at the same studio and alot sound very alike. Its kinda hard to explain why they sound different but in the end the general difference I noticed were the positioning of the behind speakers (the spatial feeling) and the color of the sound in general.

... because a PRIR reflects some person's ears and unique hearing system, as well as the listening environment itself.

This is simply "proof" that we all hear [and our ears gather] sound somewhat differently although we externally agree on "what it sounds like" in a discussion, because of how our individual brain's processed what our individual ears heard.  The PRIR itself is a person-specific and is a "playback filter" that reflects our individual hearing mechanism.  Trying to use somebody else's "hearing mechanism" along with our brain just "does not compute" correctly.

Can you find some PRIR that is "acceptable" in the absence of the opportunity to do your own measurement? Well, you're probably looking for a "sounds pretty good" result, so you no doubt can find an "acceptable" PRIR that "sounds pretty good".

But the point of the Realiser is to duplicate the specific sound of a specific room to your specific ears/brain, however good or bad that room actually sounded.  It's not trying to "optimise Dolby Headphone or Headzone", or give you "perfect" results for some generic virtual surround experience, else there would only be one "best" PRIR that we would all be able to use and we'd not need individual PRIR measurements in each listening environment.  There would be no need for a Realiser and what it can do.

So, I think it's just true that anything short of a genuine PRIR measurement FOR YOU in a specific listening environment is just "looking for a usable pair of prescription glasses at a flea market while on vacation", because you broke yours and can't get a proper prescription until you get home.  You'll probably find one that's "acceptable".

May 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #1,740 of 2,910
Hi, for those who don´t mind trying someone else's PRIRs, I am willing to share mine taken at Glenn Poor's Audio:
2.0 Magneplanar 3.7s
5.0 Wilson Sasha ( mind you, developed from a 2.0 set up by Mr. Loor himself).
7.1 Home theater

And I would love to try some myself.
Anyone interested sen me a PM.

cheers

Jose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back