Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,756 of 2,910
Quote:
OK, figured it out with Lorr's help.

The problem seems to be that I am wanting to try out some PRIRs sent to me by email.  I copied them to my SD card, which already has two PRIRs on it.  When I try to transfer the new PRIRs from the SD card to the Realiser, the Realiser doesn't see the new ones, only the existing ones.  I can put the SD card back in my computer and see that the files are there, but they just are not seen by the Realiser.  Anyone had this problem or have thoughts about what I am doing wrong?

The Realiser only understands FAT 8.3 file names, as the card is formatted FAT.  Also, firmware files must be SRCE0001.SVS

For example, here's the directory for my own SD card with only 8.3 file names:

On the other hand, so that I know what each of those 8.3 files corresponds to, my own PC-resident master copy of them is as follows (didn't show the different file dates on the SRCE000n.svs files, but they represent the history of firmware files, with the last one copied to the SD card as SRCE0001.SVS):

And finally, I keep a text file list of what's actually stored on the Realiser's internal memory (i.e. that's been copied from the SD card to the Realiser) showing the internal memory cell numbers (01 - 63) and what is currently in use:

Did you follow 8.3 names when you copied the new PRIR's from PC to the SD card for reading by the Realiser?

May 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,757 of 2,910
I bet someone is having a lot of fun with realiser... 
dt880smile.png

May 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #1,758 of 2,910
Quote:
I bet someone is having a lot of fun with realiser... 
dt880smile.png

More theoretical than actual.

In fact, my P1 default is my prized "AIX 5.1 with no bass management", and that's all I ever use.  Set it and forget it.  That's the "listening room" I want to be in no matter what I'm watching.

I just turn on all the equipment, Realiser P1 is enabled by default, and I watch either (a) BluRay movie or (b) HDTV.  Either way, it's AIX 5.1 all the way.  The other PRIR's were fun to get, but I don't listen through any of them in actuality.

NOTE: the "with bass management" or "without bass management" isn't actually in the PRIR.  It's in the preset you create using that PRIR.  But since the displayed name on the Realiser screen comes from the PRIR, I've copied PRIR's and then used a hex editor to change the internal text name, knowing I'm going to use that clone for a "with bass management" or "without bass management" preset.  That way the proper name appears when I use that preset.  Just a user-friendly convenience.

May 15, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #1,759 of 2,910
Quote:
OK, figured it out with Lorr's help.

The problem seems to be that I am wanting to try out some PRIRs sent to me by email.  I copied them to my SD card, which already has two PRIRs on it.  When I try to transfer the new PRIRs from the SD card to the Realiser, the Realiser doesn't see the new ones, only the existing ones.  I can put the SD card back in my computer and see that the files are there, but they just are not seen by the Realiser.  Anyone had this problem or have thoughts about what I am doing wrong?

Stewart

I had the same problem recently. For me the issue was resolved when I updated the firmware from 2010 version to the most recent 2011 version. I was then able to scroll through and find the new prirs.  What version are you on?

May 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,761 of 2,910
Quote:
I had the same problem recently. For me the issue was resolved when I updated the firmware from 2010 version to the most recent 2011 version. I was then able to scroll through and find the new prirs.  What version are you on?

This is correct.  The latest firmware supports PRIR/HPEQ file names with 2xxx in the last 4 positions, to reflect their new format.  These new PRIR2xxx files would not be recognized by prior firmware.

May 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,764 of 2,910
<<In fact, my P1 default is my prized "AIX 5.1 with no bass management", and that's all I ever use.  Set it and forget it.  That's the "listening room" I want to be in no matter what I'm watching.

I just turn on all the equipment, Realiser P1 is enabled by default, and I watch either (a) BluRay movie or (b) HDTV.  Either way, it's AIX 5.1 all the way.  The other PRIR's were fun to get, but I don't listen through any of them in actuality>>.

I think the AIX 5.1 system is terrific for blu ray movies and tv.  In my case, since I listen to SACDs, high resolution DVDs, and other music discs, it misses some of the subtleties I like to hear.  After all, although the AIX room is fantastic, the transducers are not top end. I am listening to a PRIR made with a PEAK stereo speaker system that runs about $90K and its associated very high end gear.  I find I gravitate to this room more often than not, when listening to music, even though I can tell that the room acoustics were not the best.  So I still seek audiophile nirvana and plan, whenever I am near a top notch audiophile dealer who is willing to let me, to made new PRIRs.  And I plan to continue experimenting with others' "second hand" versions.

All this started when we sold our big house and moved to a smaller one.  My listening room just could not provide the kind of experience I was used to, even after several thousand dollars of room tuning.  So now my speakers remain silent, and I plug myself into the Realiser and into other virtual rooms for my music fixes.

May 16, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #1,765 of 2,910
Quote:
Thanks.  Issue might be the SD card itself, as the file names are OK.  I am going to get another card and try this over again.

Appreciate your help!

Stewart

Funnily enough I just downloaded three PRIR's that Jose kindly sent me. Two I could load, but the third gave me an error message. I'll resave and try to download again.

May 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,766 of 2,910
Question:

I already have four presets, each with a different set of PRIRs and HPEQs (actually, the latter are the same for all the presets, but the PRIRs are from AIX 5.1, AIX 7.1, PEAK 2.1, etc.)

Now I have a number of additional PRIRs.  Reading the manual, it looks like the only way to establish a pair, i.e., PRIR plus HPEQ, for listening purposes is to load one of each into one of the fours preset channels.  But I don't want to erase any of my existing presets in the process.  How should I proceed?  Do I need to erase an existing preset and then reestablish it after listening to a new one?

May 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #1,767 of 2,910
Quote:
Question:

I already have four presets, each with a different set of PRIRs and HPEQs (actually, the latter are the same for all the presets, but the PRIRs are from AIX 5.1, AIX 7.1, PEAK 2.1, etc.)

Now I have a number of additional PRIRs.  Reading the manual, it looks like the only way to establish a pair, i.e., PRIR plus HPEQ, for listening purposes is to load one of each into one of the fours preset channels.  But I don't want to erase any of my existing presets in the process.  How should I proceed?  Do I need to erase an existing preset and then reestablish it after listening to a new one?

Yes thats the only way :frowning2:

I asked this same question on one of the last 2 pages, You can't "zap" thought prirs while leaving the sound on, so the only way to try new prirs is sacrifice a preset and keep loading new prirs, And if you only have 1 preset because you dont want to remove the others its damn hard to compare the prirs you want to test as it kills all the sound until you actually load the new prir .. I think some adjustments to the firmware could fix this though. It would be nice to have.

Personally I did find a way that i like to compare prirs quickly and then test the back and front channels solo. If you click on the "mode" button 1 or 2 times it starts looping a little music snippet (or noise if you press it again). I keep this on while loading new prirs, as soon as the prir is loaded the music starts playing again and you can solo the individual channels using this same loop. Since its the same sound over and over again its pretty easy to compare previous and next result.

May 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #1,769 of 2,910
Quote:
Question:

I don't believe that you actually have to save a PRIR+HPEQ combination into a preset in order to be USING it.  That just saves it, so that you can recall it conveniently with the P1-P4 buttons.  Obviously if your goal is to do A/B comparisons you would want presets to make the insta-switch possible.

But for on-the-fly listening, or testing, or playing around, you can simply "bring in" any PRIR or HPEQ you want and it becomes "active".  If you have your headphones on while you're picking up a new PRIR you can certainly hear that effect instantly.  This is also true of other on-the-fly changes, e.g. volume, bass management, or any other tweaks.  They are all in-effect immediately as you make them, and WILL be reflected in the saved preset if you save the current settings into a P1-P4 preset.

But unless you save it all of your temporary in-memory adjustments are lost across power-off/power-on or if you load an existing preset.  Until that time, they're all active and functional "in memory only", and are thus just temporary.

May 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,770 of 2,910
Thanks!  When you say "bring in" how do you do this?  If I transfer a PRIR internal-internal, then it goes to a specified slot.  Then, if I transfer the HPEQ, it goes to another slot.  I'm not exactly clear how to bring both into the same listening environment.  I know this should be obvious, but it is not to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back