Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,696 of 2,910
Quote:
I just got my realiser today, and im already stuck setting it up. The movement sensor that is supposed to be clipped on the screen

It says in the manual: Check that the tiny switch on the side of the set-top is in the up position; if not, move it there. Snap the ball of the set-top into the socket of its base.

I dont see any switch and pushing the ball into the socket im not sure is going to work as im afraid i will break it (it doesnt seem to fit) .. Please let me know what to do. Do I miss something or can I just go ahead and try and jam it in (which at the moment seems impossible without breaking something)

The switch is inside a tiny hole on the side.

I thought the set-top might break when I jammed it in, but it didn't.

May 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #1,697 of 2,910
Quote:
The switch is inside a tiny hole on the side.

I thought the set-top might break when I jammed it in, but it didn't.

Ok thank god it survived :)

Another problem arrived though, My tv is too thick, the clip wont fit on top of it. I have to put it down below the TV :frowning2:

Anyways, I still have to hear any sound so i cant tell yet if this will affect anything.. Thank you all so far :)

May 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,699 of 2,910
Quote:
If anybody finds a pre-pro that outputs Mulit Channel LPCM via HDMI for the Realiser, let know, thanks.

What is the source device you want to support?  Certainly the Oppo BluRay players can be set to deliver decoded LPCM over HDMI to the AVR, and the AVR will just pass that same LPCM on through via its HDMI output to the Realiser's HDMI input.

Or, of course the Oppo player could have been connected directly to the Realiser via HDMI and delivered LPCM directly.

So if it's only BluRay that you are anxious to support, I don't think there's anything problematic.

Now if you wanted to support your cable company DVR, for watching HDTV, that's another matter.  In know that the Motorola family of DVR's here in the US do have an HDMI-audio output setting that can deliver LPCM, but I believe it depends on the multi-channel capability of the receiving device as determined by the HDMI handshake to control what the DVR delivers... either 2-channel stereo PCM or multi-channel PCM.  But this may not even be an option for you in Australia.

But if it's only BluRay movies you're concerned about, I think with the right player you've already got what you want.

As far as an actual AVR that can do the decoding itself, and also deliver the decoded result out over HDMI via LPCM, well I know of none. It's interesting that the BluRay players will do that, but not an AVR (at least none that I know of).

May 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,700 of 2,910
I am using my PC as the Bluray player, to add an Oppo is not an option. I think once I get my Stax setup and a quality DAC, the realism will return, if not then I will go the Pre-pro option (Marantz or something) and use the analogue inputs.

May 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,701 of 2,910
Quote:
 It's interesting that the BluRay players will do that, but not an AVR (at least none that I know of).

I am not sure why you are surprised that no AVR does that. Their is literally no reason it would. AVRs are supposed to accept a digital signal and output the converted analog signal to speakers. Why would it output a decoded digital signal. What on earth would you need to send it to? Don't say the Realiser. I can not think of a single other product that would need that to be done. Bluray player do it so you can use the new codecs on old receivers that can not decode them but do have HDMI.

I still think it was a mistake for Smyth to not come out with their own small companion product to the Realiser, but oh well.

May 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,702 of 2,910
Posting my first thoughts on the Realiser here.

Yesterday I have mostly been trying some PRIRS, made a HPEQ and started making presets. 2 presets I made I liked alot so far, the 1st being 5.1 that was made in the german MSM Surround studios. And the other a 7.1 THX made in the USA AIX studio I think. My first impression during testing some war scenes from the Blu ray series of HBO's The Pacific was so so.. not bad, not a huge difference with the astro mixamp but a step forward for sure .. I just wished there was more bass. Since I was pretty tired at the moment I just left it at that and planned to watch some full movies later, leaving the presets on for long times rather than switching and comparing every minute. And slowly I started to realise (no phun intented) the potential of this unit. The realiser sounded so crisp and clear with a really good "behind" effect without actually making the sound sound all damped/muffled like other dolby systems did so far. The sound was actually so crisp and clear it hurted my ears. It made me realise (again no phun intended) that this issue was my headphone (as many people reported the DT 990 can have very harsh trebble) I guess I just never noticed this on other systems. But this must be a good thing because it means the Realiser doesnt color the sound like all other solutions I have been using so far. I watched the blu ray movie: Hero with Jet Li .. This movie has awesome video and sound effects. Unfortunately everytime someone draws a sword or swords were smashing into eachother it hurted my ears so much I felt like I was the one being beat up there. The realiser has some basic filters for bass and trebble and luckily the trebble setting was good enough to get rid of the 990 Trebble Issue. There was a scene in the rain with a duel in and around the Dojo's. I could clearly hear rain drops falling behind me which sounded more convincing as being behind me than it would sound on other systems I tried. Still I just wish there was more bass. Next movie up I wanted to try was Max Payne and during this movie I realised the bass in the other sources I tried was just not in the movie itself. Max Payne created sick sub basses even so bassy my headphones were shaking on my head sometimes. Holy Cow I didnt even know my headphones could produce such a bass. Also the best thing is that you can tweak each speaker individual. For example on the Astro Mixamp I got there's a switch called bass expander. When you click it the entire sound gets a bass boost. On the Realiser you can just tweak the subwoofer and get sick sub basses without it changing all the sounds.

Also while playing around I noticed I could use the Realiser for my homestudio as well, It would be a great way to sample sounds/voices from surround sources while disabling the surround channels and only route the center channel with voice to a sampler for example (I know you can do this alot cheaper without a Realiser but to me it just adds some extra value as just using it for movies/games).

Im going to mess around some more today but so far im really happy even though the PRIRS are not mine, I found quite some Settings that I do like alot and with some minor tweaks sound even better. Unfortunately I havent been at the places my PRIRS were made by other people so I cant really compare how accurate it sounds which is kind of a pitty as this is supposed to be THE reason why you pay big bucks for this unit. But to be honest I dont really care, It just has to sound good and If you never been at the studio you can't really tell how accurate it sounds, It just sounds awesome. Just for the fun of it and testing purposes I will try to clone my own setup which is really as crappy as it can get. TV is standing under a sloped roof, Sound is just coming out of my tv. On the right the speakers are free but on the left the sound waves will be bouncing all over the place. If the Realiser can clone this character of my own sound I would be really amazed and convinced what It could do If I take it to a studio myself

May 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,703 of 2,910
Hi people, first post here, and it's a question:

I have a DVICO TVIX 6500 Media Player which I use to watch mkv movies, and as far as I can tell it doesn't send multichannel decoded PCM through its hdmi output.

What sould I put between TVIX and Realiser to do this job? I don't wanna buy any expensive receiver, for the whole point of me getting the realiser is to avoid this stuff.

May 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,704 of 2,910
Quote:

I have a DVICO TVIX 6500 Media Player which I use to watch mkv movies, and as far as I can tell it doesn't send multichannel decoded PCM through its hdmi output.

What sould I put between TVIX and Realiser to do this job? I don't wanna buy any expensive receiver, for the whole point of me getting the realiser is to avoid this stuff.

Does the media player allow you to select PCM output in the audio settings?  This would solve the issue (I have a HiMedia and Micca media players, and they allow for this).  If it only sends out RAW (pass-through) of audio, then out of luck without recoding the MKV files with the audio track converted to PCM from the other codecs via software.

May 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,705 of 2,910
Quote:

You need to have the right source device to feed the Realiser.  It can either feed the Realiser using (a) decoded discrete multi-channel analog via RCA cables, or (b) decoded discrete multi-channel digital LPCM via HDMI.  That's your option.

I would suggest a minimally acceptable AVR, such as the Yamaha RX-V863 which is certainly available used for about $300 and refurbished for $450.  This is not "expensive" as far as AVR's go but could be used to feed the Realiser through analog connection.  The Yamaha does not itself provide decoding and output to LPCM over HDMI, but it does provide decoding and output to analog via discrete multi-channel preamp outputs.  A slightly higher priced AVR is the Yamaha RX-V867 or RX-V871.

In other words, the AVR can do the pass-through of decoded LPCM from a BluRay player, feeding the LPCM output on to the Realiser's HDMI input using the AVR's HDMI output.  Or, the AVR can do the decoding of any encoded multi-channel source and feed decoded discrete multi-channel analog output from its analog preamp outputs to the Realiser's analog inputs.

In fact, as has been discussed here just recently, no AVR is going to provide decoding to LPCM and output over HDMI.  For that you need a BluRay player (e.g. Oppo) which WILL decode to LPCM and output over HDMI, perfect for feeding either the Realiser LPCM directly or going through an AVR (e.g. that Yamaha) as HDMI input, which passes through the LPCM to its HDMI output and on to the Realiser.

Your DVICO Media Player does none of this.  It neither puts out decoded analog on discrete multi-channel preamp outputs, nor does it put out decoded LPCM over HDMI.  So it is NOT a good source device for the Realiser.  You will need either a new BluRay player (e.g. Oppo) if all you care to feed the Realiser is BluRay movies, or a BluRay player plus AVR (to serve as your HDMI switcher, accepting still-encoded input from multiple HDMI sources and feeding decoded analog output to the Realiser).

The Realiser can accept BOTH analog and HDMI input, and you can easily switch from one to the other.  So if you are listening to a BluRay movie from your new BluRay player (outputting LPCM over HDMI to your new AVR and then out HDMI from AVR to Realiser) you can use the HDMI input.  If you're listening to your DVICO player, you can have the AVR do the decoding and send the decoded discrete multi-channel output to the Realiser via preamp analog.

But your DVICO box is not going to hack it, by itself.  It simply cannot feed either analog or digital inputs of the Realiser.  You're going to need more.

May 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #1,706 of 2,910
I see it, dsperber, thanks for the detailed explanation.

I thought there would be a device that could decode the raw audio signal to multich pcm, through hdmi in/out... it's a shame oppos don't have a hdmi input, eh?
biggrin.gif

I don't watch bluray, only mkv movies... guess I'll sell the tvix and get a bd-95 and play these mkvs through usb then...

Quote:

Does the media player allow you to select PCM output in the audio settings?  This would solve the issue (I have a HiMedia and Micca media players, and they allow for this).  If it only sends out RAW (pass-through) of audio, then out of luck without recoding the MKV files with the audio track converted to PCM from the other codecs via software.

or maybe I'll get one of these players... can you tell me the specific models you have, silverlight?

May 6, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #1,707 of 2,910
The models are the HiMedia H900B, and the equivalent Micca unit (EP950 which can be bought on amazon and you can return it if it doesn't work)

You can select RAW audio out (pass through), LPCM or LPCM multi-channel, and when selecting multi-channel LPCM you can choose Core 5.1 (typically compressed audio) or full 7.1 (usually the higher bit rate track if available).

Firmware is a bit tricky, but there are a few good stable releases out there (the Micca can use the 900B firmware, and a guy by the name of OllyP does the best and most stable versions).  These units put out 3D which is why they are popular, first media servers to do this.

May 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #1,709 of 2,910
You could get a Sony ps3. From what I understand, it will send out up to 7.1 lpcm. It is reasonably priced and you get an added bonus of being able to play some games too!

I'm not really a gamer, but I'm sure I could find a few titles to enjoy. Especially those games with 5.1 soundtracks!

May 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,710 of 2,910
A Ps3 can do 5.1 / 7.1 PCM yes, also it supports many file formats (allthough not as much as a dedicated media player would). Im not sure it plays .mkv files though So I googled and found this: http://www.unlockgamingconsole.com/ps3-mkv .I have been using the PS3 and the Realiser and it works great.

Im looking for a surround receiver now for my set top box, I have been looking at some of the yamaha models and I like the Yamaha RX-V671 .. Its a midrange model and 3d ready so I hope this will be a good and decent priced solution which is also able to last for 5 years or so. I read some reviews and I noticed it requires speaker calibration. I dont know much about surround receivers, is this normal? Also do I need it if i want to use the realiser? Im a bit scared i might get poor results if I hook it up directly into the realiser without any calibration

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/yamaha-rx-v671/4505-6466_7-34533968-2.html?tag=rvwBody;continue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back