Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,711 of 2,910
No calibration is needed. That is used to help your speakers compensate for poor room acoustics/ speaker placement. Are you going to be using speakers from the same AVR, because that may be a problem. My old AVR had pre outs, but their was no way to toggle between speaker outs and pre outs. That means if you have speakers plugged in to it as well, they will constantly play simultaneously.

May 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,712 of 2,910
Quote:
A Ps3 can do 5.1 / 7.1 PCM yes, also it supports many file formats (allthough not as much as a dedicated media player would). Im not sure it plays .mkv files though So I googled and found this: http://www.unlockgamingconsole.com/ps3-mkv .I have been using the PS3 and the Realiser and it works great.

Im looking for a surround receiver now for my set top box, I have been looking at some of the yamaha models and I like the Yamaha RX-V671 .. Its a midrange model and 3d ready so I hope this will be a good and decent priced solution which is also able to last for 5 years or so. I read some reviews and I noticed it requires speaker calibration. I dont know much about surround receivers, is this normal? Also do I need it if i want to use the realiser? Im a bit scared i might get poor results if I hook it up directly into the realiser without any calibration

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/yamaha-rx-v671/4505-6466_7-34533968-2.html?tag=rvwBody;continue

I'm not sure I understand how you are planning to use the AVR.  I understand that you want to decode multi channel from your cable box, but after that i'm not sure what is suppose to happen.  I don't see any pre outs from the avr.  Will the avr pass lpcm through the hdmi out?

May 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,713 of 2,910
I wont be using any speakers for now .. Also I have no clue if the model I showed has PCM lol. Didnt think that one trough.. I looked for the model someone else recommended (Yamaha RX-V871) but I can only find them on american shops so far . I did find another Yamaha model that should support PCM and seems widely available here in europe. Its the YAMAHA RX-A 810 AVENTAGE .. it looks alot like the RX-V871, cost around 800 euros though which is kinda more than i was planning to spend

May 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,714 of 2,910
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand how you are planning to use the AVR.  I understand that you want to decode multi channel from your cable box, but after that i'm not sure what is suppose to happen.  I don't see any pre outs from the avr.  Will the avr pass lpcm through the hdmi out?

Correct.  The 671 does not have the required preamp outputs.

The 8xx series family of AVR's does have the 7.2 preamp outputs required to feed analog to the Realiser, e.g. 863, 867, 871, etc.

I don't know firsthand about LPCM pass-through via HDMI, but I'm almost certain that part will work.  The 671 supports "pure direct" which I think is guaranteed to do what is needed here.  But I believe even "straight" will accept LPCM input via HDMI and pass on LPCM output over HDMI output.

May 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #1,716 of 2,910
What about this little thing instead of a bulky AVR?

http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html

May 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,717 of 2,910
Whatever direction you go, would strongly recommend you utilize the HDMI input of the Realiser.  There was to my ears a BIG BIG improvement in sound going all digital and avoiding unecessary A/D D/A processing in or out.

May 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,719 of 2,910
Quote:
I looked for the model someone else recommended (Yamaha RX-V871) but I can only find them on american shops so far . I did find another Yamaha model that should support PCM and seems widely available here in europe. Its the YAMAHA RX-A 810 AVENTAGE .. it looks alot like the RX-V871, cost around 800 euros though which is kinda more than i was planning to spend

Looks very similar.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?mode=compare&tab=product_lineup&selected=256061_161589_239654_

Note that the 863 (which is what I have) still has lots of analog input/output connectivity, including S-video (if that matters to you).  Although it only has 3HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.  The 863 even has discrete mutli-channel analog audio input.

Yamaha's obviously moving away from analog and instead focusing on digital.  The newer models have far more HDMI inputs (6 on the 867 and 8 on the 871), and HDMI outputs (2 now seems standard).  But the tradeoff is that a great deal of the analog connectivity has been eliminated (including S-video).

May 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,720 of 2,910
Quote:

Looks very similar.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?mode=compare&tab=product_lineup&selected=256061_161589_239654_

Note that the 863 (which is what I have) still has lots of analog input/output connectivity, including S-video (if that matters to you).  Although it only has 3HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.  The 863 even has discrete mutli-channel analog audio input.

Yamaha's obviously moving away from analog and instead focusing on digital.  The newer models have far more HDMI inputs (6 on the 867 and 8 on the 871), and HDMI outputs (2 now seems standard).  But the tradeoff is that a great deal of the analog connectivity has been eliminated (including S-video).

Very similar indeed I guess I'll get the A-810, I dont have any analog cables in my setup at the moment. My set top box has a toslink output and my ps3 I used on the hdmi in on the realiser and then routed it to my tv with the hdmi out on the realiser. With the new receiver I will just use the optical outputs of the ps3 set top box. Im not so happy with the price of this receiver though. I kinda reserved that budget for a new headphone. Adding the Realiser into my setup is starting to cost me way more than I was hoping for but i guess hooking up cheap stuff would be a waste too.. Anyways, Thanks alot guys for your input :)

May 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #1,721 of 2,910
Hi Everyone,

Two questions/thoughts:

1.  The B & W speakers in the AIX studio are not particularly expensive or high end.  According to Lorr, the room is much more important than the actual speakers when it comes to the end listening results.  Still, I can't help but wonder if much higher end speakers would yield a better outcome.  I am running my Realiser in a system with NO speakers at the moment.  My source is an Oppo 95 direct, so I have no amplifier or preamp either.  My PRIR is from AIX.  I am curious as to whether it would be worth it to travel somewhere to find a higher end system to calibrate to.  I listen to music, and unlike many here, am not that into surround DVDs.  So it is really an audiophile experience I seek, rather than a surround experience.

2.  Has anyone thought of creating a library of PRIR's?  Yes, I know that a PRIR is unique to my ears only.  Still, if one had a large library of PRIRs created in great rooms, it is possible that people could find ones that suit their own auditory processes pretty well.  There could be a fee for joining such an exchange board.

Stewart

May 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #1,722 of 2,910
I bought the realiser with the same intentions (I think) as you: to "own" hi end 2 channel sound without paying the big bucks.  In this sense, the realiser is a poor audiophile's dream come true, and  having a library of systems to choose from would fun.  Of course, how well each PRIR will sound is . . .  

May 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,723 of 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiritz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2.  Has anyone thought of creating a library of PRIR's?  Yes, I know that a PRIR is unique to my ears only.  Still, if one had a large library of PRIRs created in great rooms, it is possible that people could find ones that suit their own auditory processes pretty well.  There could be a fee for joining such an exchange board.

That is precisely why the Realiser has internal memory to hold 63 different PRIR's, for convenient use in playback.   And of course you can have an infinite number of PRIR's stored on external SD storage.

There is no "one best" PRIR (which simply is a "sonic photograph" of a particular listening room environment as it sounded to your own ears).  Of course even those of us who've managed to "collect" several different PRIR's from different locations, we're probably all using just one which has become our "favorite" because to us "it sounds the best" on just about everything we listen to.

So even though we can switch PRIR's at will, we generally don't want to, because inevitably one of them is just "perfect" and we like how it sounds.  Just turn the Realiser on, preset P1 is loaded by default, and inevitably P1 has been set by you to be "your favorite" PRIR (along with the HPEQ of the headphones you always use).  Do other PRIR's "work"?  Sure.  Do we want to listen through them?  Not very often.  We all have a "favorite", and inevitably that's stored in P1, and we never leave it.

At least that's how I use it.

Maybe if I had a spectacular 2-speaker PRIR from some amazing 2-channel room I'd switch to that one when listening to 2-channel CD audio, instead of using the 5.1 or 7.1 AIX PRIR's I always use for all multi-channel HDTV and BluRay movies.  But I don't have a special 2-speaker PRIR, nor do I listen to CD audio very much through headphones.  But that's just me.

As far as "exchanging" PRIR's among Realiser owners... as has been discussed at great length on this thread, that's not really going to produce "optimal" results.  A PRIR is a personal measurement thing, for YOUR EARS.

May 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,724 of 2,910
Is there a quick way to walk through the prirs by the way? What I do now is in preset mode I load a prir but its quite time consuming and the sound falls dead during the process. It would be nice to be able to zap between prirs on the fly

May 8, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #1,725 of 2,910
Quote:
Is there a quick way to walk through the prirs by the way? What I do now is in preset mode I load a prir but its quite time consuming and the sound falls dead during the process. It would be nice to be able to zap between prirs on the fly

Create up to the four presets supported by the P1-P4 buttons on the remote.  You set up each preset with the PRIR/HPEQ you want and save them.

Now you can instantly switch between PRIR's while you are listening to anything, simply by pushing P1 through P4.  This allows you to do an instant A/B/C/D comparison between PRIR's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back