Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,681 of 2,910
Great! Thanks for the insight.  I'm really looking forward to this.  I just received my realiser which I bought used on the forums here.  I tried the generic PRIR and it was really impressive.  I can only imagine how awesome the personalized PRIR will sound!

May 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #1,682 of 2,910
Quote:
I spent some time looking for a pre-pro that would output multi-channel PCM. I could not find one in my price range that does this and I checked the manuals of half a dozen. I'm guessing it is a limit from the content providers who are concerned that if the encrypted input is converted to multi-channel PCM, it can easily be copied. (Total nonsense, ofcourse.) I'm unsure why the Oppo can output multi-channel PCM on HDMI, but pre-pros don't. Smyth's HDMI solution is very limited because they don't decode any of the common multi-channel formats other than PCM.

I have been passing multi-channel PCM over HDMI from the computer without any problem, I assumed that the Pre-pro would also work that way. I can use the pre-outs analogue on the Emotiva to the Realiser. HDMI is definitely superior though
frown.gif

If I use the Anologue inputs on the realiser, can I still output through the Optical out into a DAC?

Would this be a D/A conversion?

May 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,683 of 2,910
^^
eh, this is the prepro you were recommending me in another thread when you thought I was a realiser owner, but you hadn't even tried it yet in your system?? :rolleyes:

May 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #1,684 of 2,910
Quote:

If I use the Anologue inputs on the realiser, can I still output through the Optical out into a DAC?  
Would this be a D/A conversion?

Input (anlog vs. HDMI) has nothing to do with output (headphone analog vs. optical digital -> DAC).  Completely independent sides of things, and you can use either option on either side with complete independence of the other side.

The headphone analog output uses the built-in DAC in the Realiser to produce the resulting 2-channel stereo analog RCA output that reflects the SVS processing from the multi-channel input, which is what the Realiser does.  The optical digital output simply takes that same internal still-digital SVS-processed 2-channel stereo output signal which would otherwise be fed to the internal DAC where it becomes the 2-channel stereo analog headphone output, and instead feeds it to the optical output so that you can feed a presumably superior external DAC, which will probably provide optional analog outputs of RCA or XLR.

But one way or the other, a DAC is a "digital to analog converter".  The built-in internal DAC in the Realiser is pretty good, but the output is limited to RCA.  The real advantage of an external DAC is (a) presumably a better job of converting digital to analog, and (b) the additional option of XLR output as well as RCA output.  Inevitably XLR connections to a high-quality headphone amp will yield superior sounding results to an RCA feed.

May 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,685 of 2,910
Absolutely nothing that I know of can accept a decoded HDMI signal and output a PCM HDMI signal. The Emotiva will decode whatever you want and output multichannel PCM, but only over analog. If you have multiple sources that can all independently output Multi channel PCM, you have two option. You can use a cheap HDMI switcher, or you can use something like the DVDO Edge. It will provide your switching and video processing without the extra space dedicated to the audio half of a pre pro.

On the topic of AIX. I recorded both systems. I think I have used the JBL set once. I actually stood up for that set. The speakers are so high on the walls, standing lowered the relative position of the recording. I much prefer the sound sig of the B&W speakers. 

A Mac will not output Tru-HD or Mater Audio, so I am not sure what that has to do with the Realiser. I just live without it for all of the movies on my media server.

May 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,686 of 2,910
BTW, what are the B&W speakers? I haven't been a fan of this company's speakers, well into the ubber high end for years and this only started to change a few years back when they introduced the diamond tweeters.

May 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,688 of 2,910
Quote:
BTW, what are the B&W speakers? I haven't been a fan of this company's speakers, well into the ubber high end for years and this only started to change a few years back when they introduced the diamond tweeters.

1. Euphonix System 5 Digital Console/Controller
  2. ProTools HD 5 on a 12-Core Intel Mac
  3. Bryston 9B and 4B Power Amps
  4. B&W 801 Matrix III 5.1 Speakers
  5. TH Labs “Profunder” Sub
  6. JBL THX Certified Theatrical Surround Speakers
  7. Crown Power Amps
  8. Plug-Ins by UAD, URS, MCDSP, Izotope
  9. TC Electronics 6000
  10. Runco VX2c HD Projector
  11. Stewart Filmscreen 146 retractable screen
  12. Benchmark Mic PreAmps (36 channels)
  13. Dolby Labs Media Producer Encoders
  14. DTS HD Master Audio Encoders
  15. Netblender DoStudio Authoring
  16. Sonic Scenarist DVD-Audio/Video Authoring
  17. Panasonic Viera 65” 3D Active Shudder Television
  18. Sonic Studio with full NoNoise Restoration Package
  19. Mics from Neumann, AEA, AKG, B&K, Sennheiser

From the AIX web site:

As was mentioned, the JBL speakers are high up on the walls.  The B&W speakers are just about at head-level when you're sitting in the listening chair at the console, and are very close.  That's what makes the sound of that room so "intimate" and anechoic when the PRIR is used for playback.

For 7.1, the LS and RS speakers are moved up to +/- 90 degrees from the listening seat and there are two LB and RB speakers (which are not shown in the picture) which they activate.

May 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,689 of 2,910
Thanks for the input guys, I was dreaming for a 7.1 diamond series system :wink:. Even Abbey Road doesn't have the D series lol. Renting just one 800D for a day to get some PRIRs in such reference studio as AIX would be cool though.

May 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,690 of 2,910
Quote:
For those of you who have done you measurements at AIX, I have a question:

Lorr has told me that there are two possible systems I can be calibrated to.  the first would be to do a 7.1 and 5.1 with their B&W/profounder system.  The other choice is to do that, plus their JBL 5.1 cinema system.  Anyone done both?  If so what are the differences?  I have a few weeks to decide before I go to LA, but thought I get your opinions.  Thanks,

will

The JBL 5.1 is a certified THX theatrical system, and does seem to sound better with THX mastered audio. However for the most part i use my 5.1/7.1 B/W systems 99% of the time.

May 2, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #1,691 of 2,910
Wow, I really was thinking the pre-out option was going to be a down grade from what I read from others. I have to tell you, there is no percievable difference in soundstage, imaging or surround sound speaker placement. It is identical to HDMI in the digital respect, at least from what I can here.

There is however a major improvement in the tweak factor with adding a pre-pro, and what I percieve as a much cleaner sound. Obviously a PC (my previous source) cannot provide the isolation from interference a pre-pro can. The UMC-1 was definitely an upgrade, especialy in the LFE department, now there is thunderous bass. This is just a short observation.

Edit:

After some more tuning and listening sessions, the realism on Bluray movies has increased dramaticaly, much more like real speakers in imaging. I also have noticed the improvement in distortion, the ability to listen louder without distortion or fatigue is definitely becoming apparent.

Cleaner, crisper, realism, imaging, lower distortion, LFE adjustments, rear channel adjustments, and other great tweaking options. It's a winner.

The Acapella Excalibur Spharon's are really starting to show more and more of there true nature, with the upcoming introduction of the Stax setup, should be sweet.

Addition: Emotiva has died
eek.gif
, great sound poor build quality. Refund in the works.
frown.gif
  Time for plan B

May 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #1,693 of 2,910
I just got my realiser today, and im already stuck setting it up. The movement sensor that is supposed to be clipped on the screen

It says in the manual: Check that the tiny switch on the side of the set-top is in the up position; if not, move it there. Snap the ball of the set-top into the socket of its base.

I dont see any switch and pushing the ball into the socket im not sure is going to work as im afraid i will break it (it doesnt seem to fit) .. Please let me know what to do. Do I miss something or can I just go ahead and try and jam it in (which at the moment seems impossible without breaking something)

May 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #1,694 of 2,910
Quote:
I just got my realiser today, and im already stuck setting it up. The movement sensor that is supposed to be clipped on the screen

It says in the manual: Check that the tiny switch on the side of the set-top is in the up position; if not, move it there. Snap the ball of the set-top into the socket of its base.

I dont see any switch and pushing the ball into the socket im not sure is going to work as im afraid i will break it (it doesnt seem to fit) .. Please let me know what to do. Do I miss something or can I just go ahead and try and jam it in (which at the moment seems impossible without breaking something)

The switch is hidden on the side.  it is recessed and you would need a paper clip or small screw driver to move it.  It is probably in the up position by default.  

May 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,695 of 2,910
Quote:

The switch is hidden on the side.  it is recessed and you would need a paper clip or small screw driver to move it.  It is probably in the up position by default.  

Hiya

Thanks I found it, and yes it seems to be up :frowning2:

So idk what to do. Also there's seems to be a little foam thingy inside the space you have to put the ball in. Im not sure if thats meant to be there or to be removed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back