Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jul 27, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #1,171 of 2,910

Quote:
Question, if you can't do the upgrade, which is what Lorr told me too on my unit, then why did you send it in?  Are you getting some kind of credit for a new one?

To be clear: What he's implying is that only Smyth do the upgrade, i.e. it is not possible for consumers to do as a kit. That was a question asked earlier in the thread to avoid having to ship the unit.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,172 of 2,910
I got my Realiser back from Lorr yesterday, even though Lorr set the code to digital (easy to do) when he reprogrammed my Realiser there was no audio playing when I hooked my Realiser using HDMI cord from my Oppo.
On the LCD screen there was an A on the bottom left, by pressing the menu and mode bottom on the remote the A (analog) would change to H (HDMI), and the audio was outputting from the Realiser via Supernova 6 TOSlink.

Lorr saved all my presets and settings along with anything I had stored in the same order they where stored in.

The biggest things I noticed was that the dynamic range was larger, the bass was better, and for the first time I was seeing the clipping light coming on, so I just lowered the volume on the Realiser by about 3db's and no more clipping. However I may not have my Oppo hooked up the best way.

Also the tonal quality seems to be more digital using the HDMI input.

It would seem that doing a analog and HDMI comparison should be easy as long as all the analog and HDMI cables are connected to the Realiser.

However I have a head cold so that needs to clear up before I can really do a fair A/B comparison.

As always Lorr did a stealer job for me on my Realiser, Thank You Lorr!!!

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,173 of 2,910
I updated software, twice as per manual, and set the type to C indicating no HDMI. I have no sound. When I try menu/mode I can get the headphones to play the canned music and test tone white noise but not program material. Mute is definitely off. I even tried re-downloading and installing again in case it was  a corrupted file but no go. Should have done this on a business day.
Any suggestions greatfully accepted.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,174 of 2,910
Called Smyth and had a great chat. There appears to be a software bug affecting non-hdmi units. They are working on a fix. I have suggested that the older firmware version be posted to allow us to revert back until the new firmware is debugged.

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,175 of 2,910
Well at least we know that when you send your upgradeable Realiser in to be upgraded its the exact same as the new Realiser's Smyth is shipping now.

I say this because my upgraded Realiser is working like a champ using the new firmware that Lorr loaded when my Realiser was upgraded by Smyth.

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,176 of 2,910
The HDMI upgrade.

There is no question that this upgrade is worth the 450 for what i like.

What I am hearing with my rig is better positioning of the virtual speakers, but not to say the sound-stage is any bigger its about the same. Example is when a airplane fly across your display say from the upper right corner to the lower left corner you will hear it the same as your display shows it. Also the center speaker seems to be more exact, not louder but coming from the front, not mixed in with the side speakers.
Everything seems clearer more precise but more digital/SS and faster.
The dynamic range seems to be bigger.
Because of the speaker positioning being more precise and faster you will loose a little of the wall of sound.
I am not saying any of this is a day and night difference, but depending on your Amp and DAC these differences should be clear.

Because of these changes I have a Cavalli Liquid Fire headphone Amp and a W4S DAC-1 with upgraded caps coming tomorrow.

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #1,177 of 2,910
Hey,

I just received my Realiser on Friday, so far I'm really liking it and I'm impressed by the results, the amount of options is a bit overwhelming but I'm taking it one step at a time.

I was wondering if someone would share their preset, especially if you had it done professionally, I understand that the data should be gathered by the end user for better results but I only have access to my home 5.1 system and I would like to compare and validate the measurement I made.

My presets sounds SO different from the factory default I would be interested to get 1-2 more from head-fier to compare them.

Feel free to drop me a PM, I'm happy to share mine if anyone is interested

Cheers

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,178 of 2,910
New firmware has been posted. All is well. Make sure to follow the revised manual's instructions regarding firmware upgrade and id setting. This is truly an amazing company and product. Customer service is outstanding and the free upgrade to allow two users is just icing on the cake.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,182 of 2,910
90%+ multi-channel here. Every one in a while I will use it for music, and it does sound good, but I enjoy the headphone sound most of the time.

I gave a demo of it all to my friend and he was very impressed with it for music. He is a musician and said how great it would be for monitoring work. While he likes headphones he will only mix with monitors.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #1,183 of 2,910
Hi guys,
After reading this fascinating thread, and having my Pioneer DIR1000C surround sound headphone broken, I decided to purchase  the Realiser A8.
Heading on vacation to Chicago next month, I have scheduled a demo and measurements at Glenn Poor’s store in Champaign, IL;
graciously recommended by Lorr; which is a 2-hours trip from Chicago.   

In their theater room they have a 7.1 rig based on Professional Home Cinema speakers, and will also measure in the 2-channels room, where they have Wilson Maxx 2s, Wilson Sasha, and Magneplanar MG-3.7. I do hope to have time to measure all of the stereo sets, besides the 7.1 rig.
I will be using the stock Stax headphones along with custom IEM Unique Melody’s The Miracle.

I wish to purchase a headphone set for my 10-years-old daughter, but much less expensive than the recommend models here, such as Audeze LC-2 or Sehn HD800.
Will appreciate your recommendations on adequate headphones of the open type to do fairly good with the Realiser A8.

thank you guys for letting me know about this potentially amazing audio product, which would be the perfect solution to me, as I listen to movies  90% of the time trough headphones.
cheers
Jose

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,184 of 2,910
Many of the nicer STAX amps can drive 2 or 3 pairs. You could buy another pair of STAX headphones and a nicer amp. a pair of older Lambdas should be cheap.

You will have to let us know how the 2 channel recordings come out. I have wanted to make some, but there are definitely no Wilson Maxx 2's in my area. At least not at any dealers. If anyone personally owns them around here, they haven't told me. I would get as many recordings there as you can. I would love to have more myself.

I am not sure how you are going to use the Miracles with it. The problem with IEM's is there is no way to EQ them. I am sure they will sound good. Just like how it sounds good using my LCD-2 with my SR-507 preset, but it is not perfect. since IEM's are directly in your ear and there is no need for head adjustments on them, I wish The guys at Smyth could find the frequency response graphs for some of the more popular high end IEM's and preset them into the system. My guess is it would not be that hard.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,185 of 2,910
Hi TruBrew, I certainly will try to gather a virtual 7.0 system out of the Wilson Maxx 2's. I doubt I'll have another chance to try those!
I think the Lambdas are too imposing for my daughter! any other suggestion?
Regarding the custom IEM, Mr. Lorr suggested to disengage the HPEQ whenever using it. let's see how it behaves.
Counting the days to demo the realiser!!
cheers, Jose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back