Loki Mini Impressions
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #631 of 1,011
I picked up one these to use with my Gilmore Lite Mk2. I agree with what everyone is saying about this jewel of a device. I use it to fix the upper mid/lower treble dip on my Audeze LCD-2CB's. Now they are some the best closed headphones I've heard. I like the LCD-2CB’s much more now with the correction applied that I'm considering selling my Z1R's

I also use it to correct the upper mid on the LCD-2C, making female vocals more forward. Very easy fix.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #632 of 1,011
If I were slotting this in between a similar sized DAC and amp, say a Modi and Magni, I would go with the PYST RCA cable also from Schiit and simply add the Loki to the vertical stack. However to use the Loki with a Bifrost and a Valhalla, I will need to place the unit off to side, and the PYST cables are too short for that; what cables are folks using if not the above?

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #633 of 1,011
If I were slotting this in between a similar sized DAC and amp, say a Modi and Magni, I would go with the PYST RCA cable also from Schiit and simply add the Loki to the vertical stack. However to use the Loki with a Bifrost and a Valhalla, I will need to place the unit off to side, and the PYST cables are too short for that; what cables are folks using if not the above?

Blue Jeans Cable. They have better build quality, shielding, and connectors.

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #634 of 1,011
Loki; I'm hard pressed to think of another product in the Schiit line-up that provides so much bang for the buck user wise. It will, however, require a purist to go rogue and relax their standards:laughing:

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #635 of 1,011
can I use this with an all in one dac/amp? or do I need a separate dac for the loki to work?
I think what you wanted to ask is if you need a separate AMP for loki to work, not a separtate DAC like you said. Of cource you need a dac or a dac/amp then the output signal will go to the loki and then to a separate AMP. I don't have the loki so I dont know how it will sound if you connect your headphones directly to the loki's output rca jacks, but if it doesn't work then you will need a separate headphone amplifier

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #636 of 1,011
Blue Jeans Cable. They have better build quality, shielding, and connectors.
You beat me to it :)
They are also orderable at any length you want. I use these between my Jolida tube DAC, Loki, and Bryston headphone amp, and they sound great.
You don't have to spend a ton of money to get great cables.

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #637 of 1,011
You beat me to it :)
They are also orderable at any length you want. I use these between my Jolida tube DAC, Loki, and Bryston headphone amp, and they sound great.
You don't have to spend a ton of money to get great cables.
My vote, Amazon Basics cables. Monoprice Item # 5346.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #638 of 1,011
i prefer to make all of my own cables where possible. i enjoy it and i know how i want them to be being pretty ocd myself i take a ton of extra care with things like soldering and shrink wrap etc. i tend to buy connectors in bulk when i find one i like in a certain type. like a few years back i bought out a stock of streetwires (car audio) rca ends from a seller for the top of the line ones they used to sell got em for like under 8cents each lol.

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #639 of 1,011
i prefer to make all of my own cables where possible. i enjoy it and i know how i want them to be being pretty ocd myself i take a ton of extra care with things like soldering and shrink wrap etc. i tend to buy connectors in bulk when i find one i like in a certain type. like a few years back i bought out a stock of streetwires (car audio) rca ends from a seller for the top of the line ones they used to sell got em for like under 8cents each lol.
I tried splicing 3 coaxial cables together... once. I ended up playing whack-a-mole with an ohmmeter looking for faults. Moral: don't splice... run fresh cable. :ksc75smile:

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #640 of 1,011
Like so many others, I love my Loki not only for what it does, but the feeling that I'm not stuck with a particular sound with a piece of music or HPs. I would like to comment on those that note that the frequency they want to increase doesn't fall within the ranges of the four eq points. I often decrease the surrounding frequencies and get the desired results, so I find that the Loki provides much more adjustment ranges than first thought.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #644 of 1,011
Is the aluminium finish of the loki the same as the modi&magni 3?

I received my Loki in the Spring. It has the same finish as the Modi-MB and Magni3.

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #645 of 1,011

Slightly different take/angle on this very same question. I've got a Schiit Jotunheim with the built-in D/S DAC.

I am toying with the idea of adding an external MIMBY and Loki Mini to my collection. The price and (alleged) performance upgrades are *very* appealling to me. The only thing holding me back is the aesthetic/issue with size mismatch (my Jot isn't in a dark/secluded bedroom/den desktop; it's in a very open/often used Sunroom, and requires some WAF as a result).

Does anyone on here have any pictures of a Loki (or Modi/Mimby or both) stacked with an Asgard or Jot (or even Bifrost) sized 9"x6"x2" box?

Also, can anyone comment/help me understand what adding a Loki might mean for the balanced outputs on my Jot? I'm currently only using the single-ended, but I *think* I'm getting some periapt balanced XLR's for at least one (if not both) of my most-used headsets for Christmas... will the Loki not play well with Balanced XLR output? If so, will it not impact Balanced XLR usage if in "bypass"?

Thanks for any pics and/or balanced-XLR-thoughts anyone might have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back