Loki Mini Impressions
Jan 5, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #661 of 1,011
I used the Roon EQ briefly, found it awkward and cumbersome to use. The Loki sits on my amp and I simply adjust it as I wish while I'm listening, or switch in it or out of circuit, simple. For me, a wealth of functionality is of no use if the interface is awkward. i have two Lokis and use them daily.
Same here. I don't even bother with digital EQ's anymore since I got the Loki. It sits right on top of my Gilmore Lite Mk2 perfectly. It's easy to adjust and corrects what I think is missing from my headphones. It's a great investment.

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #662 of 1,011
You are either very confused or very sloppy in your use of the terms 'input' and 'output'. It is crucial to get them right if you want sensible advice here.

Where a signal goes into a device is an 'input'.

Where a signal comes out of a device is an 'output'.

There is therefore no such thing as a 'headphone input'. That would be nonsense as headphones don't generate signals (pedants be silent!)

Also connecting Loki's output to the HP-V1 line-out (an output) is nonsense.

Please have a little think and come back with what you actually want to do here.

The RCA's on the back of the iDSD are outputs. They allow you to use iDSD as a DAC and connect it's output to an amp (or a Loki). For this you can use a standard RCA stereo interconnect.

The Fostex is an amp and has a line-in which is 3.5mm so you would need an RCA to 3.5mm stereo interconnect from the Loki line-out to the Fostex line-in.

Here's hoping that's what you meant.

Edit: oh and if you do this, set the iDSD to 'Direct' mode (switch on the underside near the RCAs) and use the Fostex to control the volume.

"Please have a little think and come back with what you actually want to do here" - this takes me back to my old Oxbridge philosophy tutor.

Forgive the muddled terminology; I was momentarily multi-tasking.

But yes, you have the gist. I'm aware the Loki is designed for desktop usage, I was just curious if I could implement some my portable DACs along the way.

In short, based on what you say, it does look as though one could connect the iDSD to the Loki and on to the Fostex using the connections you suggest. Much obliged for the pointers.

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #663 of 1,011
Jan 5, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #664 of 1,011
Not sure about the iDSD, but the Mojo appears to have only an amplified output which is no good for the Loki. This is a bit of a struggle to figure out, because the Loki is intended primarily for use with desktop components not portable all-in-ones.
The Loki is a line-level device. Line in. Line out. 2 Volts preferred.

iDSD can do this from its RCA outputs. Just select 'Direct' rather then 'Preamp' and you're good to go.

I don't know if Mojo has a fixed output mode.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #665 of 1,011
Thanks, I'll let you know my impressions. One question on the Loki - does one have to connect the RCA output to a separate amp in order for it to function or can one use an amp/dac hybrid with RCA connection (thinking here of the IFI iDSD Micro) solely with the input on the Loki?

In addition, has anyone used the Loki with the Chord Mojo?

Many thanks.
The Loki is strictly an analog device: L/R input and L/R output. My flow: Modi (DAC) L/R output >>>>> Loki >>>>> amplifiers. I split the signal from the Loki to a Vali (hybrid tube headamp) and a Magni (s-state headamp). I don't run the 2 amps at the same time (as I only use headphones). As long as the connections were snug, I didn't detect any nasty signal loss. BTW, the manual advises leaving the Loki on to prevent signal loss when it's on 'bypass'. I don't bother to do it (my headphone don't pick up any degradation). :)

I've heard many good things about the Chord Mojo! How does it pair up with a Loki....?.......

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #666 of 1,011
I've heard many good things about the Chord Mojo! How does it pair up with a Loki....?.......
It doesn't.

The Mojo has no analogue input so you can't use it as a headphone amp.

It does have an analogue output but this is the headphone output and I don't know if it is suitable to use as a line out. You might be able to use Mojo as the source. You would need to add a headphone amp to the mix.

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #667 of 1,011
It doesn't.

The Mojo has no analogue input so you can't use it as a headphone amp.

It does have an analogue output but this is the headphone output and I don't know if it is suitable to use as a line out. You might be able to use Mojo as the source. You would need to add a headphone amp to the mix.

It’s perfectly acceptable to use the output of the Mojo as a standard DAC, I did so for quite a while before upgrading to the Qutest. However, I recently sold my Qutest and replaced it with a used Grace M9xx and Loki paired with my Gilmore Lite Mk. 2. It seems I’m at least the third person with this Loki-amp combo.

If using the Loki between the Mojo and another amp, it would be wise to be mindful of the output level on the Mojo as not to send too high of an input level to the connected amp.

That’s part of why I got the Grace, so I can tweak the level going into the Loki and amp. That and I’ve decided it’s financially wiser to tweak tone with something like the Loki than constantly buying and selling gear for slight differences in sonic character.

I love my tweaking options now. Decent crossfeed and filters on the Grace paired with EQ from the Loki. I almost thought about adding iFi’s tube buffer, but that might just be one too many mismatched boxes.

I was originally worried the 4 bands might be too few, but they seem to be very well chosen and effective for addressing important tonal regions. For my HD-650, a bit up on the first and fourth knobs and a touch down on the second seem to work very well.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #669 of 1,011
Good day everyone,
I'm having a bit of an issue.
Here's my current setup: I have the Schiit Loki connected to my Burson DA-160 (Burson Line Out to Loki Line Out) and then the Cavalli Liquid Carbon to the Burson DA-160.

I can here a DISTINCT drop in volume when I switch the Loki sliders on switch. It goes SO low. Is there anyway to fix this?
I also don't notice any changes in frequency when I alter the knobs on the Loki, so all it seems to do is just drain my volume when I turn it on. When I turn it off the volume goes back to the default that I had on the Cavalli.

Any suggestions would be wonderful! Thanks.
Shouldn't it be the Burson line out to Loki Line IN?

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #673 of 1,011
This is my first Schiit product .. they are built extremely well and are kinda cute :p

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #674 of 1,011
Burson line out to loki line in...loki line out to cavali line in? Maybe you have the unit in backwards.

Also I don't understand why you had the Cavali feeding back to the Burson.

That was my mistake .. I realized that I have to connect the Cavalli to the Loki.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #675 of 1,011
This is my first Schiit product .. they are built extremely well and are kinda cute :p
And sharp edges! :ksc75smile:
And they heat up like little toasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back