Loki Mini Impressions
Dec 21, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #646 of 1,011
Does anyone on here have any pictures of a Loki (or Modi/Mimby or both) stacked with an Asgard or Jot (or even Bifrost) sized 9"x6"x2" box?
20181213_134317.jpg

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #647 of 1,011
Slightly different take/angle on this very same question. I've got a Schiit Jotunheim with the built-in D/S DAC.

I am toying with the idea of adding an external MIMBY and Loki Mini to my collection. The price and (alleged) performance upgrades are *very* appealling to me. The only thing holding me back is the aesthetic/issue with size mismatch (my Jot isn't in a dark/secluded bedroom/den desktop; it's in a very open/often used Sunroom, and requires some WAF as a result).

Does anyone on here have any pictures of a Loki (or Modi/Mimby or both) stacked with an Asgard or Jot (or even Bifrost) sized 9"x6"x2" box?

Also, can anyone comment/help me understand what adding a Loki might mean for the balanced outputs on my Jot? I'm currently only using the single-ended, but I *think* I'm getting some periapt balanced XLR's for at least one (if not both) of my most-used headsets for Christmas... will the Loki not play well with Balanced XLR output? If so, will it not impact Balanced XLR usage if in "bypass"?

Thanks for any pics and/or balanced-XLR-thoughts anyone might have...
Loki Mini is a single-ended line level device. It does NOT go between the amp and the headphones. It goes between the DAC (Mimby) and the amp (Jot).

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #648 of 1,011
Loki Mini is a single-ended line level device. It does NOT go between the amp and the headphones. It goes between the DAC (Mimby) and the amp (Jot).

Agreed, but perhaps not understood?

I understand/understood that the Loki goes between the DAC and the Amp.

What I'm asking/not understanding (and acknowledging this might be a REALLY dumb question) is if I have a DAC (like a MIMBY, for example) and an Amp like a Jot that supports Balanced XLR output), would putting a Loki inbetween the Mimby and the Jot impact any/all of the "advantages" of having an amp that supports Balanced XLR output?

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #649 of 1,011
Agreed, but perhaps not understood?

I understand/understood that the Loki goes between the DAC and the Amp.

What I'm asking/not understanding (and acknowledging this might be a REALLY dumb question) is if I have a DAC (like a MIMBY, for example) and an Amp like a Jot that supports Balanced XLR output), would putting a Loki inbetween the Mimby and the Jot impact any/all of the "advantages" of having an amp that supports Balanced XLR output?
The connection between Mimby and Jot will be single ended. Adding Loki will make no difference to the Jot.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #650 of 1,011
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Loki Mini with the DSP EQ on Roon? I am really impressed with the latter, but don't really need the other metadata functions. If the Loki does a similar job to the Roon's EQ, that would be interesting. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #651 of 1,011
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Loki Mini with the DSP EQ on Roon? I am really impressed with the latter, but don't really need the other metadata functions. If the Loki does a similar job to the Roon's EQ, that would be interesting. Thanks.

I used the Roon EQ briefly, found it awkward and cumbersome to use. The Loki sits on my amp and I simply adjust it as I wish while I'm listening, or switch in it or out of circuit, simple. For me, a wealth of functionality is of no use if the interface is awkward. i have two Lokis and use them daily.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #652 of 1,011
I used the Roon EQ briefly, found it awkward and cumbersome to use. The Loki sits on my amp and I simply adjust it as I wish while I'm listening, or switch in it or out of circuit, simple. For me, a wealth of functionality is of no use if the interface is awkward. i have two Lokis and use them daily.
Thanks for the feedback; just took a plunge on the Loki.

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #653 of 1,011
I just purchased the Loki .. I'm pretty excited. This seems like a much better alternative than investing thousands of dollars in upgrading cables, amps or even a new headphone.

Anyway,
My chain so far is the Burson DA-160 usb connected to my laptop while the Cavalli Liquid Carbon is connected to the Burson DA-160. If I add the Loki then am I to connect it to the Burson DA-160 only?

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #654 of 1,011
Thanks for the feedback; just took a plunge on the Loki.

I just purchased the Loki .. I'm pretty excited. This seems like a much better alternative than investing thousands of dollars in upgrading cables, amps or even a new headphone.

Anyway,
My chain so far is the Burson DA-160 usb connected to my laptop while the Cavalli Liquid Carbon is connected to the Burson DA-160. If I add the Loki then am I to connect it to the Burson DA-160 only?

I think you'll be pleased with the Loki Mini.

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #655 of 1,011
I think you'll be pleased with the Loki Mini.
Thanks, I'll let you know my impressions. One question on the Loki - does one have to connect the RCA output to a separate amp in order for it to function or can one use an amp/dac hybrid with RCA connection (thinking here of the IFI iDSD Micro) solely with the input on the Loki?

In addition, has anyone used the Loki with the Chord Mojo?

Many thanks.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #656 of 1,011
Thanks, I'll let you know my impressions. One question on the Loki - does one have to connect the RCA output to a separate amp in order for it to function or can one use an amp/dac hybrid with RCA connection (thinking here of the IFI iDSD Micro) solely with the input on the Loki?

In addition, has anyone used the Loki with the Chord Mojo?

Many thanks.

I don't think it will work with the iDSD micro or the Mojo. It needs to sit between a DAC and an amp, connected via line-level (not amplified) RCA audio inputs and outputs.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #657 of 1,011
Loki Mini is still doing its job here and doing it very well.

Still hoping for a bigger and better model from Schiit
source/DAC --> Loki --> amp --> speaker/headphone

You could use iDSD as the source/DAC from the RCAs on the rear.

You could also use iDSD as the amp through the 3.5mm input on the front panel.

This was discussed before and memory fades but I don't think it is possible to do both at the same time. Anyone tried it?

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #658 of 1,011
I don't think it will work with the iDSD micro or the Mojo. It needs to sit between a DAC and an amp, connected via line-level (not amplified) RCA audio inputs and outputs.
So, it wouldn't work with RCA to 3.5mm cables? I.e., Mojo - 3.5mm output to RCA on Loki -
Loki Mini is still doing its job here and doing it very well.

Still hoping for a bigger and better model from Schiit

source/DAC --> Loki --> amp --> speaker/headphone

You could use iDSD as the source/DAC from the RCAs on the rear.

You could also use iDSD as the amp through the 3.5mm input on the front panel.

This was discussed before and memory fades but I don't think it is possible to do both at the same time. Anyone tried it?
Right, that's what I was thinking - DAC - Loki - Amp - Headphone.

That would work on the iDSD because it has RCA cables, but can I run RCA to 3.5mm cables on the Mojo using the headphone input? I was also hoping to to run the Loki's output into my Fostex HP-V1 using RCA to 3.5mm into the Fostex's line-out. Thanks

Alternatively, I assume it can be connected to a DAC/AMP hybrid like the Fostex HP-A4BL without problem using RCA?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #659 of 1,011
So, it wouldn't work with RCA to 3.5mm cables? I.e., Mojo - 3.5mm output to RCA on Loki -

That would work on the iDSD because it has RCA cables, but can I run RCA to 3.5mm cables on the Mojo using the headphone input? I was also hoping to to run the Loki's output into my Fostex HP-V1 using RCA to 3.5mm into the Fostex's line-out. Thanks
You are either very confused or very sloppy in your use of the terms 'input' and 'output'. It is crucial to get them right if you want sensible advice here.

Where a signal goes into a device is an 'input'.

Where a signal comes out of a device is an 'output'.

There is therefore no such thing as a 'headphone input'. That would be nonsense as headphones don't generate signals (pedants be silent!)

Also connecting Loki's output to the HP-V1 line-out (an output) is nonsense.

Please have a little think and come back with what you actually want to do here.

The RCA's on the back of the iDSD are outputs. They allow you to use iDSD as a DAC and connect it's output to an amp (or a Loki). For this you can use a standard RCA stereo interconnect.

The Fostex is an amp and has a line-in which is 3.5mm so you would need an RCA to 3.5mm stereo interconnect from the Loki line-out to the Fostex line-in.

Here's hoping that's what you meant.

Edit: oh and if you do this, set the iDSD to 'Direct' mode (switch on the underside near the RCAs) and use the Fostex to control the volume.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #660 of 1,011

Alternatively, I assume it can be connected to a DAC/AMP hybrid like the Fostex HP-A4BL without problem using RCA?

Not sure about the iDSD, but the Mojo appears to have only an amplified output which is no good for the Loki. This is a bit of a struggle to figure out, because the Loki is intended primarily for use with desktop components not portable all-in-ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back