Loki Mini Impressions
Aug 21, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #616 of 1,011
I've tried unplugging the Y's alternately; my ears cannot detect a difference. ymmv, of course.

These are the cables.

I would use a SYS on the outputs instead of a Y. I believe the input impedance is high enough on these amps to virtually negate audible issues. At least so far. :o2smile:
Sounds like a plan and adds another nice looking piece to the stack , question is how would you use the volume dial seeing as your going to use one on the magni/ Vali 2 ?

Aug 21, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #617 of 1,011
Sounds like a plan and adds another nice looking piece to the stack , question is how would you use the volume dial seeing as your going to use one on the magni/ Vali 2 ?

Right now I have no plans to add a SYS. At least not until I add another component that might require its use (and I have no idea what that component would be, at this point in time). The Y-cable from the Loki to the Magni and Vali is working fine for me.

I have read, though, that if one uses the SYS as a simple switch box, one can just leave the SYS' volume control on max.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #618 of 1,011
I use the Saga as a pre-amp.
I see the Saga has multiple inputs. I guess I'm looking for something that would provide multiple switched outputs. I'd like to be able to output from the Loki to one of several headphone amps.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #620 of 1,011
I see the Saga has multiple inputs. I guess I'm looking for something that would provide multiple switched outputs. I'd like to be able to output from the Loki to one of several headphone amps.
Any passive source switcher should be able to be used in either direction.

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #621 of 1,011
Do you need to output to multiple amps AT ONCE, or would ONE-AT-A-TIME be good?
I have recommendations for either scenario... :wink:

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #622 of 1,011
Right now I have no plans to add a SYS. At least not until I add another component that might require its use (and I have no idea what that component would be, at this point in time). The Y-cable from the Loki to the Magni and Vali is working fine for me.

I have read, though, that if one uses the SYS as a simple switch box, one can just leave the SYS' volume control on max.
That’s right, I use the Sys that way to use either Vali 2 or Lyr 3 with Bifrost and Loki. Sounds great!

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #623 of 1,011
I’m re-rippmg my CD collection, and upgrading my files to ALAC (meh, I use iTunes to rip it... and Foobar2000 to listen to it [I understand iTunes organizes my albums]).
I’m rediscovering some good tunes!
And then I listened to my 1994-era issue of The Wall, by Pink Floyd.
Oy, what the hell happened to it!? On my PC (using an attached headphone) disc 1 sounded muffled and under-water... NOT like how I remember it on my 1990s JVC boom-box.
SCHIIT LOKI TO THE RESCUE. Pipe the files to my listening nook & let my silver boxes process it.

Yep, much better. Psychosomatic effect? Maybe.... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Love My Loki!

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #625 of 1,011
can I use this with an all in one dac/amp? or do I need a separate dac for the loki to work?
You would need a DAC/Amp that had DAC out and amp in connections, I have never seen one, but they might exist. Most likely you will need separate units. This is a line level unit so it needs to sit between source and amp.

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #626 of 1,011
I tried to read through most of this thread before posting...I think this is a new question.

[Gear/Usage case: Fiio X3ii with 10 band EQ, Magni 3, HP is Audeze Sine]

When using my Audeze Sine, I usually follow the advice of Tyll (Inner Fidelity) and EQ my 16K down by 5db. I also turn up 500 & 1K by 1db. The treble on this phone is just way too bright for me, and this somewhat fixes it, with issues...Whether real or not, when I cut 16K like this, I perceive a sucking out of air and treble and all the good things that go along with 16K.

Question: Will Loki cut 16K any differently than X3ii? Will more goodness be retained? How are they different?

Bonus question: Also using my X3ii, I've tried increasing 31 and 62 on the low end and that's a real disaster. Instead of actually just boosting those frequencies, it causes all the other frequencies to drop in volume. I don't really seem to get a "bass boost" by doing that. Is this just how EQ works, or is my X3ii EQ a P.O.S.? (not the good P.O.S. that is Shiit?)

I read in the LCD2 Classic thread about using the Loki to boost the low end. It sounds like it works well in that case. Based on my experience, the X3ii does NOT work well. Or maybe it's the Sine that's the problem.

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #627 of 1,011
You would need a DAC/Amp that had DAC out and amp in connections, I have never seen one, but they might exist. Most likely you will need separate units. This is a line level unit so it needs to sit between source and amp.
You’ve picked up a Loki, right? @fonna ... I think you’ll be very pleased with it. If your finances allow it, it’s a great way to clean up audio. The Loki is connected in series between the (audio output [RCA left & right connections]) and your (headphone or floor speaker amplifier). I picked up short (~1-1.5ft) cables to daisy-chain them together.

Btw - my Loki has taught me about the different frequencies that can be finessed. I added extra labels to my Loki to match some tables I found in a Music Production For Dummies book. No schiit.

Edit - I screwed up the posters, @sbradley02 ... sorry about that.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #630 of 1,011
I picked up one these to use with my Gilmore Lite Mk2. I agree with what everyone is saying about this jewel of a device. I use it to fix the upper mid/lower treble dip on my Audeze LCD-2CB's. Now they are some the best closed headphones I've heard. I like the LCD-2CB’s much more now with the correction applied that I'm considering selling my Z1R's

2E22DE61-15A9-4F38-A634-0A714757AE4B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back