Loki Mini Impressions
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #61 of 1,011
Is it possible to use the Loki without an amp? Say I connect my source to the Loki, then output using an adapter (like this, but preferably 1/4th) that I can plug my headphones directly into.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #62 of 1,011
Is it possible to use the Loki without an amp? Say I connect my source to the Loki, then output using an adapter (like this, but preferably 1/4th) that I can plug my headphones directly into.

I think it depends on your source and what kind of signal it's outputting. However, I am not an audio engineer so you should probably take anything I say with a grain of salt. Maybe you could post over in @Jason Stoddard 's thread and get a good answer (he's usually pretty awesome about replying there).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...f-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #63 of 1,011
Variable Q? How does that work? I must have missed that mention in the website or earlier post.
Put another way (in the manual), turning a knob "has a gradual effect when first turned off of the center position, for subtle adjustments".

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #64 of 1,011

Asking Schiit/Jason is a good route, but I suspect you'll need an amp if for no other reason than having volume control.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #65 of 1,011
Thanks. Keep forgetting I can contact them directly. Been relying on the forum too much.

I would be using these with a dap, so I think I'm good with volume control. It's not necessary, but I do always prefer a shorter chain. Or a dap with a global EQ on all apps...

Update: They said no. So amp is required.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #66 of 1,011
Thanks. Keep forgetting I can contact them directly. Been relying on the forum too much.

I would be using these with a dap, so I think I'm good with volume control. It's not necessary, but I do always prefer a shorter chain. Or a dap with a global EQ on all apps...

Update: They said no. So amp is required.

Magni 3 maybe? Only $99...

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #69 of 1,011
Do you hear any channel imbalance or noise as you turn those knobs? (like all those cheap volume pots found in Fulla, Sys, Magni....)

No we don't, because they're something entirely different. See the section on Nonconstant-Q Active EQ in Jason's 2017 Chapter 13 post.

As for the Magni pot, I found a solution here on Head-Fi and now I never turn the volume down that low.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #73 of 1,011
Received mine last Thursday and finally got a chance to play with it a bit over the weekend. My first impression is that this is a really, really nice tone control -- especially for the price.

I tried it in two configurations:
1. Between my Gungnir MB and Asgard 2 amp feeding LCD-3 cans
2. Between my Freya preamp and my Conrad-Johnson Premier 11A tube power amp in my 2-ch/speaker setup.

I was able to tweak the knobs to bring out a bit more sparkle in the LCD-3 than I'm used to (even though I love *LOVE* Class A amplification, I think the Asgard 2 is not the best amp for the planar LCD-3s -- I think they could use a little more power to bring out their best. In fact, I know this to be true based on demoing my cans with the MJ2 AND Lyr 2 at the Schiitr, and hearing what I had been missing with the Asgard 2. The MJ2 is my next upgrade).

In the two-channel setup, being able to reduce some of the mid-bass energy did wonders for my speaker/room configuration. I have a huge pair of JBL 4344 studio monitors, which are currently sitting on the floor (they're tall enough that the tweeters are at ear level when i'm in my listening position). I've yet to build some short stands for them, which is supposed to improve the mid-bass response, so this really was a treat to hear this known shortcoming in my space corrected for the first time!

I look forward to playing with this more, and REALLY hope this thing sells so that an even higher-end tone control with finer adjustment range comes out in the not-too-distant future... if it does, I will definitely be buying it.

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #74 of 1,011
I turned the third knob for HD800 and it is definitely a must have for HD800 user to bring the mids

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #75 of 1,011
I turned the third knob for HD800 and it is definitely a must have for HD800 user to bring the mids

Agreed.
I found a small twitch on the bass knob to just 1:30 but no more than 2:00 resolves any issues I had with the bottom end response of my HD800.
I hear no difference at all between bypass and all knobs set to 0, the bypass is completely transparent to my ears.
The only thing I'm not clear on at this point is the soundstage depth illusion business, but so far have only used it with my Jotunheim which is a bit forward by itself compared to my MJ2 or Ragnarok.
Imaging is stable as ever with Loki engaged.
It works as advertised.
Knobs are a little too small and too close together for my size paws.
However, for $149.00 it's a killer little devise.
I'm ready for a grown-up version with balanced I/O, maybe a few more frequencies as well, and I'll take it in an MJ2 sized case please.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back