Loki Mini Impressions
Oct 3, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #76 of 1,011
Agreed.
I found a small twitch on the bass knob to just 1:30 but no more than 2:00 resolves any issues I had with the bottom end response of my HD800.
I hear no difference at all between bypass and all knobs set to 0, the bypass is completely transparent to my ears.
The only thing I'm not clear on at this point is the soundstage depth illusion business, but so far have only used it with my Jotunheim which is a bit forward by itself compared to my MJ2 or Ragnarok.
Imaging is stable as ever with Loki engaged.
It works as advertised.
Knobs are a little too small and too close together for my size paws.
However, for $149.00 it's a killer little devise.
I'm ready for a grown-up version with balanced I/O, maybe a few more frequencies as well, and I'll take it in an MJ2 sized case please.
Thank you.
Yes, i do turn a lil bit for 40Hz, and a bit the second knob. Third is a must but varies according to songs cuz it can be too bright. Also, i tame a tad for the forth knob. That's all for now. Hope one day there is a balance.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #77 of 1,011
I think what it means is that when you increase or decrease a knob the octave around a centered frequency increases, but as you keep turning it the bandwidth narrows so that it's more focused on that centered frequency.

Put another way (in the manual), turning a knob "has a gradual effect when first turned off of the center position, for subtle adjustments".

The more gain/attenuation you apply to a band, the narrower the adjustment band becomes.

Thanks everyone. That's a well thought feature, maintains a smooth curve, yet not affecting other freq bands when pushing hard on a certain range. Won't have the control like I do with Roon's parametric EQ but that's a good thing with less to fiddle and tweak incessantly.

Just wondering is there something built-in to prevent clipping, or does that only happens with digital EQ. (I read the manual and website before asking this time.)

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #78 of 1,011
Thanks everyone. That's a well thought feature, maintains a smooth curve, yet not affecting other freq bands when pushing hard on a certain range. Won't have the control like I do with Roon's parametric EQ but that's a good thing with less to fiddle and tweak incessantly.

Just wondering is there something built-in to prevent clipping, or does that only happens with digital EQ. (I read the manual and website before asking this time.)

No clipping! See Mike's post/rant here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-322#post-13748153

Also no Clippy!
no-clippy.png

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #79 of 1,011
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #80 of 1,011
+1 MJ2 sized case with balanced I/O

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #81 of 1,011

Quote from that post:

"The huge advantage of the analog equalizer is that it absolutely takes NO resolution away from the signal. That is huge. The main disadvantage is that if the adjustment is large, such as a 20db boost, then the headroom of the downstream power amp may clip at higher levels. YMMV. Most Schiit amps have power."

So unless Loki is not capable of around a 20db boost, it won't clip.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #82 of 1,011
Quote from that post:

"The huge advantage of the analog equalizer is that it absolutely takes NO resolution away from the signal. That is huge. The main disadvantage is that if the adjustment is large, such as a 20db boost, then the headroom of the downstream power amp may clip at higher levels. YMMV. Most Schiit amps have power."

So unless Loki is not capable of around a 20db boost, it won't clip.

Thanks. It's not capable of a 20 dB boost, so it won't clip. From Jason's post introducing the Loki Mini:

You need to turn the pot almost 30 degrees for the first 1dB of change, and, as noted before, it’s a broad change to start, then peaking at the band center. The degree of change accelerates as you go more off-center of the pot, topping at +/-12dB for the 20 and 8K bands, and +/-6dB for the 400 and 2K bands.

And no Clippy!

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #83 of 1,011
Received the Loki today. Tiny tiny thing but well built. I only wish the power light was dimmer! Initial impressions are good. Controls are smooth action and provide just enough adjustment to the frequency bands to be useful but not overkill. I have the 20Hz knob at about the 3 o'clock position and the 8kHz set to 11 o'clock to tame the treble on the T1. Well worth the $150.
image1.jpeg

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #84 of 1,011
Received the Loki today. Tiny tiny thing but well built. I only wish the power light was dimmer! Initial impressions are good. Controls are smooth action and provide just enough adjustment to the frequency bands to be useful but not overkill. I have the 20Hz knob at about the 3 o'clock position and the 8kHz set to 11 o'clock to tame the treble on the T1. Well worth the $150.
Dang, it looks tiny on your other gear. :D nice impressions. :call_me:

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #88 of 1,011
Thank you so much! I usually use blutac for covering bright LEDs. I mean I am getting Loki but It's a shame they decide to place that ugly LED light there. Those LEDs are so annoying, especially at night.

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #89 of 1,011

Firth of Fifth!! One of my favourite Genesis tunes. Love the BASS.

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #90 of 1,011
Thank you so much! I usually use blutac for covering bright LEDs. I mean I am getting Loki but It's a shame they decide to place that ugly LED light there. Those LEDs are so annoying, especially at night.

I assume it's the same LED that I have on all my other Schiit gear. When I use them for movies/TV I am sitting right next to several of them in a dark room and they don't bother me one bit. And I am pretty sensitive to such things; I went nuts until I could block the myriad of green LEDs on the Verizon Fios equipment sitting right behind my TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back