Lively IEM with Very Good Isolation
Aug 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

malifact

500+ Head-Fier
I was hoping someone could recommend an IEM as per the title of the thread.  These are the factors that are important to me:

Isolation: This is the most important factor, as the IEMs would mostly be used for commuting and my train route is very noisy.  Something as close as possible to the Etymotic brand in terms of isolation would be ideal.  I'm quite sensitive to loud noise and so I prefer to listen at fairly low volumes compared to most.

Sound: I am looking for something energetic and lively.  I like a clear and detailed sound but with some weight behind it.  I do have a pair of Etymotic ER-4s but find them too "clinical" for casual listening.

Music: I mostly listen to pop, R&B and hip-hop when commuting and so I assume a balanced sound with slight emphasis on the treble and bass would be best.

Comfort: Not as important as isolation, but something that could be put in my ears with minimal hassle would be great.  A friend let me try out their Shure SE535s and I found them difficult to put in and the cables slightly troublesome.

Budget: £200 or less although I would be prepared to go higher.

I did look at ljokerll's excellent multi-IEM review and thought the following may be suitable:

j-phonic K2 SP
EarSonics SM64
ACS T15
Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII
VSonic GR01

However, I was worried their sound mind be too clinical which is what I am trying to avoid.  Any recommendations or thoughts on these IEMs (or alternatives) would be much appreciated.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 10
if youre looking at something with excellent isolation, CIEMs are hard to beat

Agreed. It will cost more than most of those IEMs listed but you can get a 2-way model from Cosmic Ears for £150 and a 3-way model for £225, not including impressions and shipping. Check out http://www.head-fi.org/t/626714/cosmic-ears-new-ciem-company-with-crazy-low-prices-including-hybrid-designs

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 10
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that comply and shure olive foams give a better isolation than CIEM. CIEM on average is ~26db and I thought foam sleeves go upwards to ~31db. Only thing is that having a foam expand against your ear canal can't be too comfortable over long period of time. If I am right about the isolation of foams, then just get what works for you and get some comply tips as they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 10
There's a couple of silicone ciem companies out there but they're pretty expensive from my experience. I know that the bass is more "boomy" with foams, but I've always attributed that to a better seal. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure. I'm assuming that you like the Etymotics bass and I've seen/heard many people say that brand completely lacks bass. Maybe you're just extremely sensitive to low bass or mid bass? I know I'm sensitive to mid bass and any headphones with too much midbass won't stay on my head/in my ears for more than 30 mins max. I'm pretty sure the westones have triple flanged tips so maybe give those a look? Although, the 4 and 4R are very neutral/analytical too.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered going down the custom IEM route because of my budget and I assumed I could find a suitable universal. I'm not really a fan of the Etymotic bass. I'm not a bass lover but the Etymotic lacks a bit of kick. Also, I find the sound a bit flat for pop and R&B, especially 90s R&B where bass is a lot more important. I've also given the Westone 4s a listen and found them too laid back and better suited to extended listening.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered going down the custom IEM route because of my budget and I assumed I could find a suitable universal. I'm not really a fan of the Etymotic bass. I'm not a bass lover but the Etymotic lacks a bit of kick. Also, I find the sound a bit flat for pop and R&B, especially 90s R&B where bass is a lot more important. I've also given the Westone 4s a listen and found them too laid back and better suited to extended listening.

I just realized your profile pic is a pair of westones 4(R) haha

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 10
A better seal increases deep bass, not boomy (mid) bass. And yes silicone CIEMs are more rare and usually only available from more expensive companies. For most purposes, an acrylic shell will provide more than sufficient isolation - after all, musicians use them on stage in front of tens of thousands of people screaming at the top of their lungs.  
Cosmic Ears CIEMs are the cheapest on the market that maintains good customer service, and have pretty good bass. Not sure if the treble would be too laid back for you though. Treble is definitely not lacking but on the smooth side. They respond very well to EQ though. The BA2 is pretty balanced, the BA3 has more bass quantity, and the HY3 hybrid has the best bass extension but not overwhelming quantities.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I just realized your profile pic is a pair of westones 4(R) haha

I think the Westone 4s are decent earphones, but I don't listen to them on the go.  I find the sound a bit too laid back and tend to use them for listening to a whole album or for extended periods.  Since I already have an expensive pair of IEMs, I'm looking for something more affordable for commuting and travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back