Live Q&A: IE 900 with Jermo Koehnke
May 27, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #121 of 151
Hi nicnac!
Lot's of questions, this is going to be long:
1. Materials: Harder materials have been used in speakers for decades, and we've evaluated the concept thoroughly with the hardest materials available. The takeaway is that no material is "perfect", ie. everything develops undesirable partial vibrations in We also have a 10 mm transducer for example in the IE 100 PRO, but it's just not as good as our 7 mm platform. Smaller diaphragms have advantages for high-frequency response (Tweeters are typically smaller than woofers). They are also more ergonomic and fit in smaller housings so that more people can wear the earphone comfortably. The question is then how small you can make it and still have lots of tuning freedom, low distortion, great manufacturability as well as acoustic headroom for great bass response. Our transducer experts labored over that challenge over 10 years ago and found 7 mm to be the optimal size.
4. Magnetic Flux is not denoted with Tesla, but the magnetic flux density is: Higher "magnetic force" means higher sensitivity across the frequency spectrum, which includes the high frequencies. So in a vacuum, higher magnetic flux density aids in a "faster" transducer. So is higher always better? Imagine for example an air gap with a very concentrated magnetic field and a high flux density (lots of Teslas) versus an air gap with a much more widely distributed magnetic field, so that we have less flux density, but a more evenly distributed field over the excursion of the voice coil. While the concentrated magnetic field may offer a better high-frequency response, it would have considerably increased distortion during high amplitudes, when the voice coil leaves the concentrated field. Conversely, the system with the more evenly distributed magnetic field will have a slightly less high-frequency response but provide a much cleaner bass response since the magnetic force will vary less over the excursion of the transducer.
Most of our transducers have around 1 Tesla flux density, the 7 mm system in particular is a bit lower since a smaller system needs to excurse more to create equal sound pressure. The magnetic flux density is commonly used as a marketing vehicle because it's simple (higher number=better). Reality isn't simple, so for us at Sennheiser it's always a deliberate compromise between many factors to create the audibly best system, not to have the coolest marketing story (which is really tough for our marketing team :smile:).

Very interesting answer ...
Luckily I ordered one IE 900, and it seems the IE 900 should arrive earlier than expected (I got a mail today to say that delivery will start earlier, 27th of may and not "beginning of june")

I still own a Beyerdynamic Xelento with 11mm ultra-wide bandwidth mini-Tesla driver ....I really enjoy this IEM, but it has a bit too much low frequencies and not enough high frequencies, so it needs some significant Parametric EQ to correct this and be fully enjoyable. I will surely keep the xelento (at least as backup)

But, It should be nice the IE 900 with his 7mm driver to be a bit more flat and linear for those reasons explained in the answer.. at least I am hoping this, and it should become my night IEM in place of the xelento.

I don't expect the IE 900 to replace my IER-Z1R, which is really perfect for my day time office uses..

May 27, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #122 of 151
The thing with shiny aluminium is that they are very scratch prone. How easy is it for the ie900 to get scratches? I’m not talking about deliberately using keys or coins to scratch it, but everyday use like accidentally dragging the shell across a table, or even a slight knock when taking it out, etc.
My understanding is that it is anodized. That should give it a bit more protection. I will call scratches, if they ever happen to my IE900, skin lines which show a mature age...

May 27, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #123 of 151
Very interesting answer ...
Luckily I ordered one IE 900, and it seems the IE 900 should arrive earlier than expected (I got a mail today to say that delivery will start earlier, 27th of may and not "beginning of june")

I still own a Beyerdynamic Xelento with 11mm ultra-wide bandwidth mini-Tesla driver ....I really enjoy this IEM, but it has a bit too much low frequencies and not enough high frequencies, so it needs some significant Parametric EQ to correct this and be fully enjoyable. I will surely keep the xelento (at least as backup)

But, It should be nice the IE 900 with his 7mm driver to be a bit more flat and linear for those reasons explained in the answer.. at least I am hoping this, and it should become my night IEM in place of the xelento.

I don't expect the IE 900 to replace my IER-Z1R, which is really perfect for my day time office uses..

YEA good news me to I got an email with a tracking. Looks like we got some early birds here :)

May 27, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #124 of 151
The thing with shiny aluminium is that they are very scratch prone. How easy is it for the ie900 to get scratches? I’m not talking about deliberately using keys or coins to scratch it, but everyday use like accidentally dragging the shell across a table, or even a slight knock when taking it out, etc.
It's's's very tough.

YEA good news me to I got an email with a tracking. Looks like we got some early birds here :)
Can't wait to hear your impressions! Yes, you!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 31, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #126 of 151
Anyone got any impressions compared to the following dita iems (dream, xls), xelento, re2000, etymotic er2xr, final a8000, old ie800 and ie800s, faudio major,technics eah tz700, moondrop starfield and illumination , if you have comparison to any of these please post I am still undecided on the ie900 as I am tossing between the ie300 and moondrop aria ii at the moment

May 31, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #127 of 151
Anyone got any impressions compared to the following dita iems (dream, xls), xelento, re2000, etymotic er2xr, final a8000, old ie800 and ie800s, faudio major,technics eah tz700, moondrop starfield and illumination , if you have comparison to any of these please post I am still undecided on the ie900 as I am tossing between the ie300 and moondrop aria ii at the moment
See the other ie900 thread. I’ve posted some early impressions vs IE800S there
Spoiler alert: The IE900 are outstanding!

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #128 of 151
So the tips on the IE900 seem to be getting quite a bit of critical feedback from early adopters that they are not able to achieve a seal with the included options. I'm curious to see if this was expected or not. It's probably also useful to flag this for the product team so that they can incorporate the feedback into future development.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #129 of 151
So the tips on the IE900 seem to be getting quite a bit of critical feedback from early adopters that they are not able to achieve a seal with the included options
Have you ever seen a thread, about any iem, where everybody are happy with provided tips? I haven't :)
Personally i think cable criticism is more valid, but stock tips, i never expect them to fit me so sometimes i'm pleasantly surprised, but not often.

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #130 of 151
Just received mine .... fortunately the medium silicone tips does seal perfectly with my ears .. Though it's not so easy to find the right position, but those tips does the job as expected and don't move at all even when moving the head.
1) I just tried the Xelento dark vador's helmets tips, I am using with the Sony IER-Z1R or Xelento.. but, no chance it fits the IE900 as they are too short to go inside the canal and seal, I will try later with smaller size, if it helps, but IE900 are rather more compact than Xelento.
2) Final Type E tips are really with a definitely too narrow opening, to even expect sound will come without issue to my ear canal out of the IE900, it must alter significantly the sound path and destroy all the job done by Sennheiser with their three Helmholtz resonator chambers and acoustic vortex... So, I would think, that it's even not worth to give a try, like most of the after-market tips with a too tiny openings.

The 4.4mm cable sounds first good, at least like the Sony's EIR-Z1R, but unfortunately, after a few minutes it clearly makes rather a lot of microphonics noises types coming from the contact with the collar of my shirt when I shake a little my head. When the cable is more tight under my head and cable doesn't touch the collar, I can avoid those microphonics noises, but I feel clearly the cable touching my throat significantly.

Sound ...... after one hour => it seems worth to make some serious comparisons with the IER-Z1R and Xelento ... Maybe, IE900 can be a winner if we don't EQ any of these 3 IEMs. I will see after a few weeks which one will stay on my head more frequently.
At least, the IE 900, like the Xelento seems perfect to sleep on the side without altering the sound at all... which is just impossible with the IER-Z1R

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #131 of 151
Thanks so much for the glowing praise! It's comments like yours that motivate us to outdo ourselves and set our standards higher and higher. I absolutely understand your previous sentiment. I felt it as well. But rest assured that I spend a lot of time reading feedback and suggestions here to create products you'll love.

On the HD 560S: I started the development with an accessible price point in mind, and when the acoustic concept was final, we had brief discussions about raising the price to be more in line with the performance. I'm very happy that we stuck with the current price because the trend of rising prices with intangible benefits to the customer is in my eyes not healthy for the hobby. I believe that "summit price points" that provide 2% more performance than something like the HD 560S alienate outsiders and take away from participation within the community. I'm convinced that raising the bar at lower price points will invite far more people to the community and show every music lover that you can have your cake and eat it too, without spending a month's wage.

That being said, have fun with your headphones and enjoy the music. :slight_smile:
Hi Jermo, I just wanted to thank you and the team at Sennheiser directly for creating this masterpiece of engineering. I am completely blown away with not only how amazing they sound, which as rendered all my other headphones obsolete btw, but also how ergonomic they are. The comfort is next level. I can really appreciate how you’ve thought of everything to make these the best they can possibly be.
it’s a remarkable achievement and I’m very much enjoying the end result, and I know I will for years to come.
Thanks again, I wish you well and look forward to seeing what you create in the future.
Regards, James.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #134 of 151
Have you ever seen a thread, about any iem, where everybody are happy with provided tips? I haven't :)
Personally i think cable criticism is more valid, but stock tips, i never expect them to fit me so sometimes i'm pleasantly surprised, but not often.
This is a very fair and valid response, thanks for the reminder that this could probably be expected for nearly every IEM release, haha.

I think it's probably also worth noting that if this is the only real niggle with the product that Sennheiser has done a smashing job with this release!

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #135 of 151
Jermo thank-you very much for that answer I greatly appreciate it. Just let you know I just picked up a HD600 and will be picking a HD560S as well this year to add to my small growing headphones. The one thing I need to congratulate the sennheiser team is on getting such a realistic and natural timbre in the HD600 it sounds so correct. I had a few other smaller questions in general and in relation back to the dynamic driver principle. My question is will sennheiser release any small dac/amps in the future I am not expecting a answer for this question knowing information for this may be hush hush but if a future release is predicted I will be first in line for a destop dac/amp made by the brand. When you state balancing act for the driver what does it mean speed of sound in relation to the material, rigidity, thickness etc or is it more in relation to tuning of the driver which I am guessing is also done at sennheiser in that case what would be at the top of the list timbre, details, stage, bass extension, imaging etc. Also how important is the thd( total harmonic distortion)in the driver and do you see sennheiser trying to reduce the thd of the 7mm driver even more for future products or is having a very low thd a bad thing I never understood that very clearly in terms of sonic benefits. As I have heard a few dynamic driver iem and their thd and they don't really talk much about it much. Thank-you once again for sharing your knowledge with me on headfi as a engineering student year I have always been fascinated with the dynamic driver principle and its importance and getting a chance to learn more about the topic as been a honour. Lastly are there any sources you would advice people on headfi to read such as articles or books that really showcase about creating a good dynamic driver or just information in general that are scientific in nature.
Happy to help, and great to hear that you got an HD 600. I think it's a headphone every enthusiast should have experience with.
Regarding your amp/DAC question, I think we can make our most meaningful contributions in the field of acoustics, but you never know what the future brings.
Regarding THD: whether audible in a blind test or not, it always highlights problems in the transducer. Whether it's tumbling modes, partial vibrations, or asymmetric excursion, THD is a symptom of all these imperfections in transducers. We strive for perfectly accurate sound reproduction, and so we solve all those imperfect transducer behaviors. As a result, the THD is exceptionally low in many of our headphones. As of now, I think the transducer in the IE 900 is optimized in this regard.
Your other question is very open, so I can't answer it concisely. Often, creating a desirable tonality is done outside of the pure transducer (Chassis, magnet, voice coil, diaphragm). In open headphones, the earpads, acoustic impedance of the resonator, and dampening of the transducer provide enough tools to create a good sounding headphone, which is how most headphone developers work. What makes us special at Sennheiser is our deep understanding of the transducer as the technical heart of the headphone and our complete control of and fast access to the manufacturing.
Imagine for example you want to tilt a headphones response towards the bass. An easy way is to cover part of the resonator: Air can't escape the system as easily, so you get more bass. Additionally, the load of air in front of the driver gets heavier since it's compressed more. A heavier driver load means less high-frequency extension.
On the other hand, you could also leave the resonator as it is and increase the coil weight significantly: The lower resonance frequency will increase the bass, and again at a loss of high frequencies due to weight. Two completely different approaches towards the same goal. Many other manufacturers just buy existing transducers and are constrained to traditional tuning methods. We can just call up our transducer developers and have a solution a week later. The HD 599 and HD 560S are acoustically identical except for the transducer: The HD 560S uses a lighter coil, a new diaphragm material & geometry, as well as more sophisticated transducer dampening. While the HD 599 is an ordinary, fairly good-sounding headphone, the HD 560S is one of the best all-around headphones you can buy. Understanding and applying all factors of transducer performance is the art of balance I referred to earlier. That is the power behind our transducer expertise and manufacturing.

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back