Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Mar 3, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #9,241 of 13,448
What tubes are in the old LD II now? If it is one of the first ones, then most of the tubes we use will not work at all. You might have trouble finding replacements for the ones you have.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #9,242 of 13,448

They have the same "electrical" characteristics. However, tubes manufactured in different factories at different times often sound different.

Also identical tubes made at the same factory can carry different designations based on the market they were destined for.

Great. Thanks for the clarifications. 

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #9,243 of 13,448
So I took Mordy's advice and decided to get some 6SN7 tubes for my Mk iii. I purchased some extenders and adapters (9-pin to 8 pin) and I wanted to show off the adapters I got.
I purchased these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191186398466?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The covering is real brass(which looks really nice), and they have a grounding wire (I don't know how useful this actually is). They are only a couple bucks more expensive than any other adapters I've seen.
Here's the kicker though. The pins are really long! When I plugged them into the adapter I noticed quite a bit of space left in between the adapter and the extender.
Turns out they fit into the socket by themselves so no adapters are needed! This means that they end up being cheaper and look nicer.

what do you guys think?

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #9,244 of 13,448
Hi Jolfr,

Thanks for sharing with us the information about these adapters. The only reason to use the extenders is because the other style adapter is too wide to fit inside the decorative ring on the MKIII amp. In addition, these look better with the brass covering.

Now, how do you find the sound of the 6SN7 tubes compared to your old power tubes? In my experience the 6SN7 tubes have more bass and add more overall to improve the sound than the 6N6P family of tubes. You can also try 6SL7 tubes that give a little lighter and more airy presentation.

For the ultimate slam and impact in the bass, and an overall richer and fuller sound, you would have to upgrade to 2.5A power tubes such as the 6AS7/6080. (Needs external 15A power supply and 15A voltage regulator.)

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #9,245 of 13,448
  Hi Jolfr,

Thanks for sharing with us the information about these adapters. The only reason to use the extenders is because the other style adapter is too wide to fit inside the decorative ring on the MKIII amp. In addition, these look better with the brass covering.

Now, how do you find the sound of the 6SN7 tubes compared to your old power tubes? In my experience the 6SN7 tubes have more bass and add more overall to improve the sound than the 6N6P family of tubes. You can also try 6SL7 tubes that give a little lighter and more airy presentation.

For the ultimate slam and impact in the bass, and an overall richer and fuller sound, you would have to upgrade to 2.5A power tubes such as the 6AS7/6080. (Needs external 15A power supply and 15A voltage regulator.)

Hi Mordy,

Why would you need a 15A psu to run 2.5A tubes? Doesn't make sense to me. I just got my 6H5C's in my MK IVSE. I'm running two 6V 6A psu's, one for each tube, no regulator. Tubes are burning in now, literally just got them in:) Will come back with impressions.  

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #9,246 of 13,448
Hi MisterX,

We are really pretty much on the same page, LOL.

You are using two power supplies, each 6A = 12A. I am using one PS rated 15A. I have been told that when the tubes start up, they can draw up to three times the current, hence 2.5AX3 = 7.5A per tube. One PS for two tubes would need 15A. I used a 430W computer PC power supply that I had saved as a spare, and it was rated 14-15A, so pretty much within what I wanted.

The PC PS puts out 12V and 5V, and that is why I bought a 15A voltage regulator to connect it to the 12V rails and then I adjust it to 6.3V. Both tubes are driven by one PS and one voltage regulator.

Based on experience, there is a voltage drop at the actual tube pins compared to the measured voltage at the voltage regulator, so in practice I need something like 6.9V at the regulator to get a reading of 6.3V at the tube pins (Varies with tubes). You may want to measure the actual voltage at the tube pins to see if you get a full 6.3V there.

The PS cost $30 on sale (usually $60), and the voltage regulator around $12.

Lycka till med allting!

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #9,247 of 13,448
  Hi Jolfr,

I definitely noticed that the sound was much more full! And yes, I would say it's definite upgrade from the 6N6P.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #9,248 of 13,448
As some might remember, I have been thinking for over a year about moving beyond my LD 1+ to a 6AS7G-based OTL. Of particular importance to me was being able to use all my favorite tubes in my new amp. Today, I took delivery of a Glenn OTL. Of particular note, this amp can use either a pair of G3gs or any SN7 (6SN7, 12SN7 or 25SN7). I am not aware of any other 6AS7-based OTL that is designed from the ground up to use a pair of C3gs as drivers as well as SN7s.

Pictured, with a 3DG4 rectifier, Ken-Rad 1633 (25SN7) and two Chatham 6AS7s. And yes, it sounds much better than my LD 1+!

In fairness, we need to remember that our LDs were designed to use triode-strapped 6AK5s, not 6SN7s or any other double-triode, and certainly not a pair of C3gs. For sure, these tubes sound great in our LDs, much better than any 6AK5, but since the biasing is not optimal for these tubes, they cannot sound as good as they do in an amp that has been carefully and deliberately designed to use these tubes.

And now please excuse me as I return to the music. :)

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #9,249 of 13,448
  As some might remember, I have been thinking for over a year about moving beyond my LD 1+ to a 6AS7G-based OTL. Of particular importance to me was being able to use all my favorite tubes in my new amp. Today, I took delivery of a Glenn OTL. Of particular note, this amp can use either a pair of G3gs or any SN7 (6SN7, 12SN7 or 25SN7). I am not aware of any other 6AS7-based OTL that is designed from the ground up to use a pair of C3gs as drivers as well as SN7s.

Pictured, with a 3DG4 rectifier, Ken-Rad 1633 (25SN7) and two Chatham 6AS7s. And yes, it sounds much better than my LD 1+!

In fairness, we need to remember that our LDs were designed to use triode-strapped 6AK5s, not 6SN7s or any other double-triode, and certainly not a pair of C3gs. For sure, these tubes sound great in our LDs, much better than any 6AK5, but since the biasing is not optimal for these tubes, they cannot sound as good as they do in an amp that has been carefully and deliberately designed to use these tubes.

very nice indeed !

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #9,250 of 13,448
Hi MisterX,

We are really pretty much on the same page, LOL.

You are using two power supplies, each 6A = 12A. I am using one PS rated 15A. I have been told that when the tubes start up, they can draw up to three times the current, hence 2.5AX3 = 7.5A per tube. One PS for two tubes would need 15A. I used a 430W computer PC power supply that I had saved as a spare, and it was rated 14-15A, so pretty much within what I wanted.

The PC PS puts out 12V and 5V, and that is why I bought a 15A voltage regulator to connect it to the 12V rails and then I adjust it to 6.3V. Both tubes are driven by one PS and one voltage regulator.

Based on experience, there is a voltage drop at the actual tube pins compared to the measured voltage at the voltage regulator, so in practice I need something like 6.9V at the regulator to get a reading of 6.3V at the tube pins (Varies with tubes). You may want to measure the actual voltage at the tube pins to see if you get a full 6.3V there.

The PS cost $30 on sale (usually $60), and the voltage regulator around $12.

Lycka till med allting!

Hm, I totally forgot about the startup draw, I've also read that somewhere. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting 6.3 volts at the pins since the psu is rated at 6.0v but i figured it's close enough, lol.

Tackar! :)

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #9,251 of 13,448

Congrats!

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #9,252 of 13,448

Great, you got it after all the looking forward. Now you need a few amps next to it to compare :wink: Enjoy!

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #9,253 of 13,448
Hi Gibosi,

Congratulations on your new Glenn amp! It seems like you were waiting almost a year to get it....

Awaiting your listening impressions - wonder which combination of tubes sounds the best. Probably will take some time given all the possibilities and all the different tubes you have collected. Perhaps a combination of C3g and 6AS7 tubes will sound the best, but maybe we will be in for some surprises.

Good luck and enjoy your new amp!

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #9,254 of 13,448
Hi Mister X,

If you have a voltmeter you could just touch the pins 4&5 and measure the voltage at the tube. Should be possible if the pins on the adapter are long enough. Just be careful to touch the right pins.

(Jag vaxte up i Sverige och talar fortfarande svenska efter 47 ar i Amerika.)

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #9,255 of 13,448

Hmmmm... That sounds very similar to something I said a long while ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back